Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:43 PM

27 posts, read 109,450 times

Advertisements

1. Up to $1200? no roommate.
2. 1BR Apartment / upper floor
3. Will be working in Midtown / prefer a short commute or at least little traffic on the drive
4. no kids, not worried about schools at the moment
5. I've only lived in the suburbs but I'd like to try urban or semi-urban. Within walking distance of some decent bars and restaurants.
6. Access to public transit is nice but not a must have. How good is the public transit in Atlanta? Is it safe?
7. I'm single female (28 yrs old) so it'd be nice to live in an area with some other young-ish people. Not really into clubbing, crazy parties but I enjoy hanging out with friends at a bar or pub.

Other details:
Safety is important to me, I'd like to be able to walk home late at night.

Coming from Cleveland 'burbs but I work downtown if that has any kind of relevance.

Thanks for any insight! I've been looking around Midtown a bit, and east out to Druid Hills and such but I'm not sure what the traffic would be like form there to midtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Replying to say - something like this looks appealing?

Arbor Gates at Buckhead in Atlanta, GA

I saw another post that said Lenox Park was great for young singles... how would the commute be to Midtown? Or is this totally offbase?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:35 PM

580 posts, read 1,422,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapling View Post
1. Up to $1200? no roommate.
2. 1BR Apartment / upper floor
3. Will be working in Midtown / prefer a short commute or at least little traffic on the drive
4. no kids, not worried about schools at the moment
5. I've only lived in the suburbs but I'd like to try urban or semi-urban. Within walking distance of some decent bars and restaurants.
6. Access to public transit is nice but not a must have. How good is the public transit in Atlanta? Is it safe?
7. I'm single female (28 yrs old) so it'd be nice to live in an area with some other young-ish people. Not really into clubbing, crazy parties but I enjoy hanging out with friends at a bar or pub.

Other details:
Safety is important to me, I'd like to be able to walk home late at night.

Coming from Cleveland 'burbs but I work downtown if that has any kind of relevance.

Thanks for any insight! I've been looking around Midtown a bit, and east out to Druid Hills and such but I'm not sure what the traffic would be like form there to midtown?
Midtown is where you need to be!! No other area would accommodate all your options listed above. I am 2 years older than you but I currently reside in the suburb (Smyrna) and love every bit of it. I normally drive over to Mid-town to meet friends every other weekend.. Enjoy you stay in Atlanta

Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,995,994 times
+1 to Midtown being the best place. You can afford a high rise rental for that budget.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:39 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,072,376 times
I disagree with Testa, I don't believe you can afford a high rise rental in midtown on that budget, at least not in one of the newer and better buildings.

However, I think you could probably find a decent place in midtown somewhere.

So if you work in midtown and can afford to live in midtown, why would you bother looking anywhere else? Unless for some reason the area just doesn't appeal to you at all. But I think that's going to be your best bet.

If safety is a huge concern, you may consider opting for Buckhead over midtown.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:43 AM

That's interesting - I didn't know if Midtown was a desirable location or not for what I was looking for but that is great to know.

Also, I'm not necessarily WANTING to spend $1200, but I can afford up to that. Less would be great (I can always pay more towards student loans...), but I'm willing to go a little higher to get the 'kind' of neighborhood I want. Living in the 'burbs has made having a social life harder and I find myself crashing at friends in the city a fair amount so I've decided I'd rather just live in a desirable area than keep sleeping on people's sofas.

That said, the commute itself doesn't bother me if I can do it in 20-30 minutes including traffic, so if Buckshead/Lenox Park would be equally desirable for the area and end up $300-$400 less per month it might be worth it.

Also, the apartment doesn't have to be "super-premium", just a decently safe area, and off the first floor so I don't jump every time I hear a creak.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:51 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,995,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I disagree with Testa, I don't believe you can afford a high rise rental in midtown on that budget, at least not in one of the newer and better buildings.
I live in one for $820, and I am looking at ads on craigslist for rentals below $1,200 right now. But yes, you won't be able to move into a brand new building for that price. But even the less-nice Midtown condos are probably about as nice as the nicer apartment complexes anywhere in the city.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:32 PM

36 posts, read 74,671 times
$1200 should be fine in Midtown. Look up the Gables in Midtown. The prices are cheaper than listed and it's in a great location.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:33 PM

36 posts, read 74,671 times
Anyone who's telling you that they're spending more than $1200 in midtown for an apartment is wasting money. Hell, you can buy a 2/2 condo for 56k

Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,351,396 times
^Where are these 56k 2bdrs? Atlantic Station? I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 2bdr as long as it's in midtown proper. Not looking to be the 4th owner of a 4yr old speculator special though...no telling the types of problems you find in a building where the 2/2s cost less than a decent Mercedes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta