Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:14 PM

329 posts, read 701,420 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am going to be attending Georgia Tech in not too long along with my girlfriend who will be going to Emory for her degree. I look to be a civil engineer and make the Atlanta/Atlanta Metro Areas transportation arteries less confusing, and to increase traffic flow .

Some of you are probably like I WILL HELP YOU, IF IT MEANS LESS TRAFFIC!

But honestly, I know things aren't just like I want to do something to this road and I design it no, so I'm just playing . But other than that, me and my girlfriend are looking for a condominium or a townhome, we would prefer it to be in the newer end, and costwise from 500$ to 1,500$ a month. I have looked at the Kennessaw area around Chastain Road and liked what I had seen there.

Commute Time: Doesn't really matter, as long as I get there! I am happy with any commute, I love this city and am happy to be moving here it is my dream city to possibly start a career and helping the city move forward in terms of transportation networks. I love the fast growth and the feeling that this is one of the best cities in the United States (To me AT LEAST) or in the South that is.

So leave any tips or suggestions!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:39 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,721,552 times
Chastain Road to Emory University is going be a headache.

Why not look in town Atlanta? With your budget, you should be able to find a decent condo inside the city that is convenient for both of you guys.

Look at Midtown, Virginia Highlands, or Buckhead.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:16 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,327,137 times
There is no place OTP (outside the perimeter) that is convenient to both Emory and Georgia Tech. One or both of you will have a horrible commute. Getting to Emory from any expressway is painful.

PKCorey is right. Virginia Highlands or Midtown would be perfect - it is just in between the two schools.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:19 AM

23,507 posts, read 44,177,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Chastain Road to Emory University is going be a headache.

Why not look in town Atlanta? With your budget, you should be able to find a decent condo inside the city that is convenient for both of you guys.

Look at Midtown, Virginia Highlands, or Buckhead.
I was curious as to why you were emphatic about an OTP location as well. An intown condo or townhome is well within your means.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:56 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,103,500 times
I echo what everyone else has posted - a commute from Kennesaw to Emory will not be easy or enjoyable.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 AM

32,036 posts, read 36,857,518 times
I'd think a budding traffic engineer and an Emory student would want to take of the many great options inside the Perimeter.

What's the advantage of giving yourself a long (presumably single-occupancy) car commute?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:49 AM

32 posts, read 61,935 times
There are places OTP but it's going to kill you in commute times, you say you don't mind, do you like 1.5 hour commutes one way, and can your GF stomach a 2 hour commute one way? If you want most convenient for both you really need to go midtown, downsize, maybe share a car (as it's going to cost to park). There's some cheaper housing over near GT since they just built up Howell Mill Rd area, but that'll be a bigger trek for your GF. Otherwise get a place in the Highlands and you'll be doing the trekking...

Old 09-27-2011, 09:23 PM

329 posts, read 701,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raze View Post
There are places OTP but it's going to kill you in commute times, you say you don't mind, do you like 1.5 hour commutes one way, and can your GF stomach a 2 hour commute one way? If you want most convenient for both you really need to go midtown, downsize, maybe share a car (as it's going to cost to park). There's some cheaper housing over near GT since they just built up Howell Mill Rd area, but that'll be a bigger trek for your GF. Otherwise get a place in the Highlands and you'll be doing the trekking...
Well I guess it doesn't NEED to be outside of the perimeter...

Choices if it had to be inside that I've looked into are Buckhead, Midtown, and also West Decatur (heard bad things about Decatur in general...).

Old 09-27-2011, 11:00 PM

208 posts, read 419,691 times
Many newer apartments in vahi and morningside and midtown were originally planned to be condos. We have some really nice apt. communities in Atlanta that rival even some newer condos.

Even many of 1 bedrooms in 1920's buildings go for $800/month, so expect to pay around $1200 for a new apt. intown. less than 5 years old.

Townhomes are pointless and offer no benefit other than not having someone above you.. you still share walls and the space is narrow.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 AM

23,507 posts, read 44,177,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
Choices if it had to be inside that I've looked into are Buckhead, Midtown, and also West Decatur (heard bad things about Decatur in general...).
Whoever told you such a thing is misinformed or is referring to the area south of the city of Decatur (which also carries a Decatur mailing address). It's a great place to live, and practically sits on Emory's doorstep.

City of Decatur : Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta