Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 PM

208 posts, read 420,852 times

Advertisements

marietta is a completely culturally diff. city than atlanta. They don't deserve transit here, and nobody in Atlanta wants to ride up there. Cumberland is a joke, it's mostly an overdeveloped office park with tons of empty lots and sidewalks leading to nowhere.

Let's stop rewarding stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:55 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,608,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I've been trying to get a handle on the specifics how the proposed new rail lines would affect our metro area, and would love to see links to any of the studies that have been done.

I know this data is a few years old but the latest numbers for station ridership are from 2007. Is it safe to assume these are still about right (i.e., within 10% or so)?
The top 10 busiest MARTA stations are: Five Points (25,200 daily passengers), Airport (11,500), Hamilton E. Holmes (10,600), College Park (9,500), Kensington (9,200), Lindbergh Center (8,200), Peachtree Center (7,900), West End (7,970), Arts Center (7,200) and Avondale (6,400).
Ham E Ho is in the top ten?? That means it should be extended west IMO...Maybe to Fulton Ind.

Art Center would get less numbers if it split off toward the 75/Cobb area. Im surprised Indian Creek is not high like Ham E Ho.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:17 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,202,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
marietta is a completely culturally diff. city than atlanta. They don't deserve transit here, and nobody in Atlanta wants to ride up there. Cumberland is a joke, it's mostly an overdeveloped office park with tons of empty lots and sidewalks leading to nowhere.

Let's stop rewarding stupidity.
How can it be overdeveloped with tons of empty lots??

I work in an office tower in Cumberland. The Cobb Energy Center is pretty cool, or at least the zombies thought so this past summer.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:06 PM

725 posts, read 1,284,520 times
I went to the public meeting yesturday in marietta. I belive a vast majority of the people there where for it. One guy went up and bashed it and mabye got one person clapping for him, the next guy gave an emotional speech about the need for better transit and job options for the region and he got a large applause,

Old 09-21-2011, 08:32 PM

906 posts, read 1,752,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The Cobb Energy Center is pretty cool, or at least the zombies thought so this past summer.
I thought they blew it up! I wonder if the zombies rebuilt the Cobb Energy Center over the summer, in time for a second season of their hit cable show.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,202,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
I thought they blew it up! I wonder if the zombies rebuilt the Cobb Energy Center over the summer, in time for a second season of their hit cable show.
Noooo... They blew up the copy ... you know, the CDC building that looked like the Cobb Energy Center. The real one is still there.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:34 PM

454 posts, read 825,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I've been trying to get a handle on the specifics how the proposed new rail lines would affect our metro area, and would love to see links to any of the studies that have been done.

I know this data is a few years old but the latest numbers for station ridership are from 2007. Is it safe to assume these are still about right (i.e., within 10% or so)?
The top 10 busiest MARTA stations are: Five Points (25,200 daily passengers), Airport (11,500), Hamilton E. Holmes (10,600), College Park (9,500), Kensington (9,200), Lindbergh Center (8,200), Peachtree Center (7,900), West End (7,970), Arts Center (7,200) and Avondale (6,400).
If Avondale is no. 10 at 6,400 riders per day, I'd assume Dunwoody/Perimeter is probably in the range of 6,000 per day. Would that be a safe ballpark figure?

If there was a station at Cumberland, it seems to me it would most likely resemble the station at Dunwoody, with similar ridership. Is that also a safe guess?

Is 6,000 riders a day enough to justify the Cobb-Midtown line? If those figures are correct, how would the economics work out?

Also, aside from ridership and financial projections, what other effects are these lines likely to have? I'd love to see the projections.

Thanks!
These figures don't seem right to me or even close. I am often at Midtown and its busy thru-out the day and way busier than Arts station yet its not on the list. Same with Dunwoody and North Springs. I would say these numbers are under estimated by a good bit. Hasn't ridership gone up a lot in the past 5 years as well (50% ?)

Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 PM

840 posts, read 2,096,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
These figures don't seem right to me or even close. I am often at Midtown and its busy thru-out the day and way busier than Arts station yet its not on the list. Same with Dunwoody and North Springs. I would say these numbers are under estimated by a good bit. Hasn't ridership gone up a lot in the past 5 years as well (50% ?)
I agree the numbers were alot lower than I thought they would be.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 PM

635 posts, read 1,516,849 times
IMO more rail transit would affect the metro positively, if the demand is there though. The biggest issue I have is with those who put a bad rap on the rail lines, saying it'll bring crime or this or that. 1st it'll bring jobs for the region and 2nd it'll ease traffic (imo). Those that think it'll bring crime to the areas, that really is a load of crap it'll bring jobs, tourism, and help the economy for that area (if it embraces it and provides opportunities for shopping or restaurants or housing around those stations or at least reliable local taxi services). I think we should expand, just my thoughts

Old 09-22-2011, 01:30 AM

6,696 posts, read 12,216,952 times
More rail transit will have mostly positive effects of the metro. Mainly, it will boost the local economy. If done right, and the rail transit is privatized, then that will be revenue for the companies. Also, people will have more desire to travel to and live in Atlanta. Lack of rail transit could turn Atlanta into another Detroit. I would rather have Atlanta turn into a mini-Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta