Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 8,466 times

Advertisements

I did a search for “Sandy Springs” but couldn’t find exact answers to my questions. If I missed them, I apologize for asking these questions again:

Where is the parking deck for the Sandy Springs MARTA Station? Where is its entrance in relation to the deck? When I looked at Google maps, it seemed like the entrance (address 1101 Mount Vernon Hwy) was across a major intersection from the parking lot, and that the entrance to the parking lot itself is directly across from Troy University on Peachtree Center. Is there an easier way to get to the station from the parking lot? Or will I have to cross two big roads during rush hour every time I want to use the station?

I don’t live in Marietta so I’m not familiar with the roads, the businesses, the transport options, the neighborhoods or the traffic. I live in Duluth, and only recently started working in Marietta on Johnson Ferry Rd, but I’ve also recently started back on classes in Alanta. At the very least, I drive about 326 miles a week; that’s about 65-66 miles a day*. That doesn’t include trips to the store, visiting friends, going to the library, etc. If I use MARTA, I save myself about 100 miles and parking ($32-$40/mo) downtown. As a student, I get a discount on MARTA fare, so that’s not a concern. But I’m so unfamiliar with the area that I’m afraid I’m going to be late for class due to accidentally getting lost or being delayed by rush hour traffic for too long before I actually get to the train.

My work shift ends at 5:00pm. My class starts at 7:20pm. When I drive, I get to school by 6:30pm.

My other question, which I saw answered somewhat, was is the Sandy Springs Station safe? Another poster had said that it was, but didn’t clarify for which hours of the day. I’ll be coming home at 10pm or 11pm every other day during the week, and I look very slight and unimposing. D: I’m only a beginner at martial arts, I can run about 5mph (is that too slow?)**, my books are really heavy, and I’m usually super tired after class. I’ll be using Five Points Station to Sandy Springs. I don’t have pepper spray. I know this comes off as extremely paranoid, but I’ve never been out late without a car before, and I can’t help feeling like I should have a friend with me after 10pm on public transport.

Thanks!

* For only 5 days a week.
** Yes, I feel incredibly ridiculous for that comment.

Last edited by ElleRSa; 08-28-2011 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 06:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
The entrance is here: => MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Sandy Spring Station is generaly safe, (one of the safer stations) There is usualy a Marta cop or two around.

When you get off there is often other going to the parking deck, stay close. A LOUD Whistle is a good thing to have.

Not sure if MARTA does it but, you can ask the MARTA cop if you see him/her to walk you to your car.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:37 AM

876 posts, read 2,277,535 times
Since you live in Duluth, it is probably easier to drive to the NE station, Doraville from Duluth where you live. It would be closer for you than Sandy Springs would. The Doraville parking is mostly surfaced.

I don't use the Sandy Springs station much, but if that is the one you have to use, just follow the signs when you get there. I am not sure how it is set up, but I think there is a division between short term and long term parking (people using MARTA to go to the airport), just make sure to select the proper parking area.

MARTA is relatively safe. I have used MARTA alone late at night, and never had an issue, just stay observant and you will be fine. People ride MARTA late at night, so you won't be in the MARTA car all by yourself or anything.

I also would get off at the Peachtree Center station as the people who are hanging around there aren't quite as rough as the ones at Five Points. You might have to walk further from your class but I would recommend doing that. I would guess other classmates ride MARTA, so why not walk with them if you feel safer doing that?

Last edited by SW30303; 08-28-2011 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-28-2011, 04:57 PM

197 posts, read 515,733 times
You can get to the station from the parking garage without having to cross the busy intersection. The entrance you see across from the parking garage is there for people who are getting dropped off or walking to the station on that side of the road. That station is entirely underground except for part of the parking garage and the stand alone entrance across the street and they both connect to the station underground. Both the Sandy Springs station and the North Springs station are safe, or at least as safe as as train station can be.

Last edited by DreamKeeper; 08-28-2011 at 05:05 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 04:19 AM

2 posts, read 8,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The entrance is here: => MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Sandy Spring Station is generaly safe, (one of the safer stations) There is usualy a Marta cop or two around.

When you get off there is often other going to the parking deck, stay close. A LOUD Whistle is a good thing to have.

Not sure if MARTA does it but, you can ask the MARTA cop if you see him/her to walk you to your car.
Thank you for the confirmation on the parking deck’s address. And the suggestion of a loud whistle. I think I might buy one just for comfort, even if the station is really safe. :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKeeper View Post
You can get to the station from the parking garage without having to cross the busy intersection. The entrance you see across from the parking garage is there for people who are getting dropped off or walking to the station on that side of the road. That station is entirely underground except for part of the parking garage and the stand alone entrance across the street and they both connect to the station underground.
This is a relief. Thanks a lot. None of my friends or coworkers use Sandy Springs, so they couldn’t tell me this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
Since you live in Duluth, it is probably easier to drive to the NE station, Doraville from Duluth where you live. It would be closer for you than Sandy Springs would. The Doraville parking is mostly surfaced.
I’m not going from Duluth to class directly. The Sandy Springs Station is ONLY 6 miles from my work place—I basically work down the street. Traveling to Doraville would take longer from work, especially during the 5:00pm-6:00pm time. The shortest distance between my workplace and Doraville is approximately 13 miles; that’s not using 285 (using it adds another mile or two). My impression is that it would take me forever to get to the station and wait for the train, including a lot of idling time in traffic.

When I don’t have work, I use Doraville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
I also would get off at the Peachtree Center station as the people who are hanging around there aren't quite as rough as the ones at Five Points. You might have to walk further from your class but I would recommend doing that. I would guess other classmates ride MARTA, so why not walk with them if you feel safer doing that?
Most of my classmates don’t take MARTA actually, for my late night classes. They buy parking at school or live at school.

And thanks for the tip about Five Points!

Last edited by ElleRSa; 08-29-2011 at 04:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta