Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:27 PM

562 posts, read 1,789,953 times

Advertisements

We had 3 kids and 2 adults in our house and never had any issues. We just made sure to get it pumped every couple of years ( I think it was like every 7 years). I am sure there are different size tanks so you may need to get it pumped more often or less. But in the 28 years we have lived in our house we never had any problems, never used rid-x, and never bothered with what type of toilet paper we used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 01:26 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Late to the discussion, but thought it is worth pointing out that in most areas, you do not have a choice between septic or sewer -- especially when it comes to new construction. I suppose there are some areas of Cobb, DeKalb, Gwinnett and even North Fulton where homebuyers may come across older housing stock that's still on a septic tank, but that would be rare indeed.

HOWEVER -- and I'm certain many people are unaware of this -- Fayette County DOES NOT HAVE SEWERS! The county does have a water system, and the two largest municpalities, Peachtree City and Fayetteville, both have sewer systems, but if you purchase a home in the unicorporated county, 99 percent of the time it will be on septic. This is by design, and the legal method by which Fayette County has maintained low-density development thru the years -- seeing that septic requires a minimum lot size of 2-5 acres to protect the watershed.

The end result is a lot of "estate-style" (i.e. expensive) subdivisions down there, and practically ZERO high-density or multi-family developments -- or even commercial properties -- outside of the city limits. Fayetteville's sewer capacity is quite large and they have annexed large sections of the county that want (or need) to be on sewer -- the entire medical district around Piedmont Fayette Hospital, for example. But Peachtree City does not allow tap-ons to its sewer system and also has a history of rejecting annexation requests. Tyrone, the only other sizeable city in Fayette with about 6,000-7,000 residents, doesn't have sewer either but has been able to expand and grow with more commercial / dense residential development by tapping into the Fairburn system in adjacent Fulton County. However, it took winning a very bitter 10-year legal battle with Fayette County to do so.

Schools built in the unincorporated county must either tap into a municipal line or utilize a septic "field" which is the case for the three schools that make up the Whitewater High School complex. There is this lush, green field in front of Sarah Harp Minter Elementary south of Fayetteville that looks lovely, but in fact hides a septic system the size of two football fields.

There has been much speculation through the years that the EPA will eventually FORCE Fayette County to build sewers, arguing that septic is just not environmentally sound. Or that property owners and developers will force the issue by demanding they be allowed "best and highest use" of their land, i.e. increased density = more profit. But as long as everybody is happy with low density, and the county can legally maintain that via zoning and land-use regulations, I don't see it changing anytime soon. Fayette County will NEVER have the urban density of the northside. Ever. And that's a good thing, in my book.

Last edited by Newsboy; 11-17-2010 at 01:35 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 PM

843 posts, read 2,215,795 times
I just want to thank all of the participants in this thread, exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 14,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Have been looking at a bunch of houses. Most are on sewer lines but a few have septic tanks. Am curious to know if there are major drawbacks to purchasing a home with a septic tank, both in terms of living in the home as well as resale. Thanks!
There are a few more drawbacks with the septic tank, but both have their issues.

City Sewer:
-You never stop paying for your sewage disposal. (I'm sure it won't get cheaper over the years)
-If there is a problem with the City Sewer Main, it is now your problem also.

Septic Tank:
-You really have no easy way to proactively check the integrity of the system as a whole to make sure it is operating properly.
-Unknowingly paving or planting trees or other plants over the leech field will quickly compromise the system.
-You do have to watch what you regularly put into any drain in your house. Anything that will kill or harm you if you were swimming in it (bleach, ammonia, acid drain cleaners, solvents, etc) will kill the needed bacteria in your tank, reducing its ability to eat the solid waste and force you to pump out the tank.
-If you have a large party at your home where a lot of people are constantly flushing the toilets and sinks you may find your system can't keep up and your yard could start to become water-logged with effluent.

Depending on the septic system you have and how healthy you...and the people before you treated it...you may never have to have it pumped.

edited

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-03-2012 at 09:22 AM..

Old 10-07-2012, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,319 times
Septic tanks are good when you don't live close enough to the city to hook up to the sewer. They take in so much water, but hardly give any water back into one of the earth's aquifers. The septic tanks only give off a little water at a time, and about 9 feet into the ground the likely hood of a little dose of water going back into are aquifers about 200 feet in the ground and not getting absorbed by the dirt is very slim. Septic tanks are broken very easily and are a pain to repair why waste the time and money.

On the other hand sewers are good to use when you have easy access to them. When you do have easy access to them they help save are limited supply to fresh water by reusing it over, and over again. This water is saved instead of pulling more and more water from our fresh water supplies it is reusing it. Some people think it is gross to use water that has gone through other people, but to save money a lot of people buy filter that are cheep and have an easy access to them.

In a town I live in forces the people to use septic tanks and I don't like it one bit! If you have any more information you could tell me or you think this is interesting please comment below.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 PM

9 posts, read 17,198 times
Septicexpertwannabe:

I wish I had seen this post before I bought my house a few months ago. I just had the tank pumped, and they got what I think is a copy of the sewage inspection report that shows my septic is sized for a 3 bedroom house. However, previous owners finished attic space and the house was advertised as having 4 bedrooms and we have a garbage disposal.

Before purchasing a home that has a septic system, get the on-site sewage inspection report from the County Health Department. Check to see how many bedrooms is on the permit versus the number of bedrooms the seller is advertising. If the amount of bedrooms the seller advertises is more than the number of bedrooms approved on the septic permit, this is a cause for concern. You might want to ask the local health department if there were any septic complaints on the property. You or your real estate agent (if you have a good one) should be able to fill out a Freedom of Information Act document and get the needed complaint. The complaint, if still open, cannot be released. It has to be closed. The complaint may give details as to what happened – high water usage; maybe someone drove a moving van over the septic system and caused component failure. Please bear in mind, “out of sight, out of mind”.

Why get the on-site sewage inspection report? Maybe bedroom upgrades were done to the home without proper permits. The lot may be approved for a maximum of three bedrooms due to soils limitations and the house is being advertised as five. The lot might not be able to accommodate five bedrooms. The house may be advertised as having a garbage disposal but the septic tank on the property might not be big enough to accommodate one.You say:

*It is fraud to advertise a home for more bedrooms than approved for on the on-site sewage inspection report. Again, it is a “red flag” if the report says, for example, 3 bedrooms and there’s 6 bedrooms being represented by the seller.

Can you tell me where you found this info? I'm worried about what the implications are for us if we decide to sell the house.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,165 times
MoLA, just so you know, you're responding to a post that's almost two years old. You may not get a reply.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 PM

9 posts, read 17,198 times
Oh, thanks. I just saw this thread on the front page and didn't realize the previous posts were that old.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Had a septic tank growing up. Dear God in Heaven when they had to dig that thing up for whatever reason...... Have a septic tank in Blue Ridge. Keeping my fingers crossed and using lots of Ridex.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 PM

40 posts, read 84,225 times
When you go to resell the house you will be glad you have sewer.

If sewer is available and your septic goes out you could be required to tap into the sewer.
Hire the inspector yourself to inspect the septic system and also quote a new system so you will have an idea of replacement cost in case your system has a major failure and sewer is not available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta