Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:44 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,684,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish74 View Post
Hi since we are trying to move that way too I was wondering what made you buy in Brookstone? Was it just the house/schools or was it the area itself such as it is a nice neighborhood? Do they have alot of neighborhood get togethers there? Just curious. We are STILL trying to sell our house here in Macon, GA so we will not be moving until then. Good luck with everything!!!
Well, I'll give you my story....

My dad moved from Smyrna to Kennesaw as a kid. He went to North Cobb High School. They had moved into Pinetree Country Club.

After college he bought in Smyrna, then moved back up to Acworth after marriage. You have to remember this is all country then. He has stories of hunting where Town Center is. My uncles back yard (his house as a kid) backs up to KSU.

Anyway, his business started taking off in the mid 80's, Brookstone was the first so-called new upper class, huge neighborhood. He was like number 25 in that neighborhood. His business, until this year, had been located on Main Street in Acworth since 1975.

That being said, Brookstone is no where near the new mega-hoods/homes now. When he moved in Harrison, Kennesaw Mtn, Allatoona, Kell, etc didn't exist. It was North Cobb, now there's about 4 schools covering what North Cobb did up until 1994. Just goes to show the growth in such short of time.

Now..... people choose the area mainly on the school reputation. That's why Brookstone is pissed over being split in half over the new high school (Allatoona) b/c they basically started the whole West Cobb growth and built Harrison.

They have a good juniors golf, swim, tennis programs but from my experience... people tend to move in and out of Brookstone pretty regularly. My dad's been there for +17 years and only 2 neighbors within 20 homes of his are still there. Ironically, they're all from the area originally as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 08:41 PM

78 posts, read 371,386 times
So in your opinion is it worth it? Or are there other neighborhoods you can recommend? Also do you think we should stay in that district (Ford, Harrison) or since our children are young not worry about that and also look in the new district (Pickett's Mill, Allatoona) since we would have plenty of time before high school? Just trying to do as much research as we can before the move?

Seems to be lots to do in the area, YMCA, dance studios, gymnastics, parks with sports such as soccer, t ball, little football, and many churches and shopping. We like the area since its newer and clean and growing yet not far from things to do such as the mountains or Apple festivals in Ellijay or Atlanta things to do as well. All in all it is really nice there.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,424,041 times
Here's another thought and plus for the Acworth area. We have a wonderful resource called Xpress through the Cobb County Transit System. They operate Monday through Friday from a park and ride lot behind McDonald's close to the Cowan Road and 92 intersection. My friend's husband works downtown and uses this 2 to 3 times a week. It goes directly to the Memorial Arts Marta Station, which doesn't always work out with everyone's commute from this area, but it is wonderful if you can work with this resource.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:55 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,684,687 times
Quote:
So in your opinion is it worth it? Or are there other neighborhoods you can recommend? Also do you think we should stay in that district (Ford, Harrison) or since our children are young not worry about that and also look in the new district (Pickett's Mill, Allatoona) since we would have plenty of time before high school? Just trying to do as much research as we can before the move?

Seems to be lots to do in the area, YMCA, dance studios, gymnastics, parks with sports such as soccer, t ball, little football, and many churches and shopping. We like the area since its newer and clean and growing yet not far from things to do such as the mountains or Apple festivals in Ellijay or Atlanta things to do as well. All in all it is really nice there.
Well, it's still an established neighborhood with plenty of great homes. Your kids are in elementary so I wouldn't even really worry about HS now b/c by the time they get there, the environment will be completely different.

I think Allatoona will probably be on par with Harrison fairly quickly.

As far as Ellijay, my Dad built a cabin in the 80's on the Cartecay, with all of Ellijay's growth it basically looks like Acworth did in the late 80's.

And for the poster who mentioned the XPress route, I take this 3-4 times a week myself but really isn't that practical for getting to Buckhead, I know b/c my fiance works there, she drives....I take the bus.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:45 AM

7 posts, read 43,411 times
Quote:
Hi since we are trying to move that way too I was wondering what made you buy in Brookstone? Was it just the house/schools or was it the area itself such as it is a nice neighborhood? Do they have alot of neighborhood get togethers there? Just curious. We are STILL trying to sell our house here in Macon, GA so we will not be moving until then. Good luck with everything!!!
We liked the school system there and it's where we found the house we loved. We looked all over East Cobb where there are also good schools but everything was 20-30 years old whereas our house at Brookstone was built in '05. We sacrificed being a little further out of the way to get a newer/better house. We've heard that the neighborhood is a good one so hopeful that that's true since we won't know anyone. Good luck to you too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta