Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:50 PM

199 posts, read 178,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Uh, why not?

Too easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 02:51 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,291,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Ha I laughed when I read this. There are certainly pedestrians here, but they tend to be of the crazed hobo/streetwalker/dope boy variety. Makes for interesting fill ups at those gas stations.
I don't consider vagrants pedestrians. More like loiterers.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:34 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Ha I laughed when I read this. There are certainly pedestrians here, but they tend to be of the crazed hobo/streetwalker/dope boy variety. Makes for interesting fill ups at those gas stations.
LOL, exactly. As a matter of fact, that is one intersection in Atlanta that will most definitely have pedestrian activity morning, noon, night, rain, sleet, snow, 100 degree weather, Christmas or Chanukah. I suppose some might consider it the it's the wrong kind of pedestrian activity though. Never the less, they are still pedestrians. The true sort.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:49 PM

16,691 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
Too easy.

Lol...yep.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:37 PM

187 posts, read 403,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
10th & Piedmont on Sunday.

What do I win?
A rep point!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Uh, why not?

I have found that the intensity of the criminal element in Five Points (vagrancy, panhandling, loitering, drug dealing) tends to be a MAJOR distraction for those that view the picture. I have a feeling a shot of Five Points pedestrians would end up looking like a sociology picture than human geography.

People! Lets use common sense here! I want this picture to represent the REAL Atlanta, as in 2011. Any suggestions that would showcase 1995 Atlanta will be rejected.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
In the pedestrians, I am looking for a cross-section of 2011 Atlanta. I want businessmen, government workers, a postwoman, a GSU student with a bookbag, a Midtown mom, a hipster (), etc. You get the picture (pun intended).

I should have clarified this! I not only want a good pedestrian scene, but one that actually represents Atlanta. I plan on using the picture to represent Atlanta in a positive and accurate light.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 PM

^New York City

^Boston

^Seattle

^Chicago

^Philadelphia

Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
I have found that the intensity of the criminal element in Five Points (vagrancy, panhandling, loitering, drug dealing) tends to be a MAJOR distraction for those that view the picture. I have a feeling a shot of Five Points pedestrians would end up looking like a sociology picture than human geography.
Oh lord. What exactly do you mean by that in a specific way?

Quote:
People! Lets use common sense here! I want this picture to represent the REAL Atlanta, as in 2011. Any suggestions that would showcase 1995 Atlanta will be rejected.
Quote:
In the pedestrians, I am looking for a cross-section of 2011 Atlanta. I want businessmen, government workers, a postwoman, a GSU student with a bookbag, a Midtown mom, a hipster (), etc. You get the picture (pun intended).
Are you suggesting that you cannot get such a picture in Five Points?

1. Business Men in Five Points

2. GSU Student(s) with bookbag(s)

3. Hipsters

4. A "midtown mom" (ok, no way of knowing what neighborhoods he lives in, but I am guessing this is what you imagine when you use the term "midtown mom").

5. A cross section of Atlanta

I could go on, but why? You are looking for a scene that is not rooted in reality. Vagrants and homeless are a part of the urban experience. The only place you are not likely to encounter them are in places sanitized for tourism like Times Square in New York or new urban shopping plazas artificially controlled for the comfort of suburban shoppers like the District in Atlantic Station.

You are free to do whatever you like, but go back and reread your words. Maybe you should do a sociological study and look directly into the face of what you don't want to see:

And realize that there are actually people out there who need help, yet are maligned by society as a "problem" that needs to be "solved" thus removing an element of their very humanity. The only problem that needs solving is that the majority of people in this country probably don't care at all that the man above is sleeping in a building doorway right now and probably has no idea where his next meal is coming from.

So, to answer your original question, go to the District in Atlantic Station in the late afternoon/evening on the weekend.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh lord. What exactly do you mean by that in a specific way?
I mean a picture of Five Points belongs in a textbook on the social ills of society, such as alcoholism, homelessness, substance abuse, panhandling, etc. Perhaps a health book would work. But it would simply distract the student if it was placed in a human geography book in the "major American cities" chapter.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that you cannot get such a picture in Five Points?

1. Business Men in Five Points

2. GSU Student(s) with bookbag(s)

3. Hipsters

4. A "midtown mom" (ok, no way of knowing what neighborhoods he lives in, but I am guessing this is what you imagine when you use the term "midtown mom").

5. A cross section of Atlanta
Thanks for the pics. I have seen that thread before on SSP, and if you read through the thread, the vagrants and homelessness was a major distriction for many posters.

I know I can get such a picture in Five Points. My point is that I would like to find all those things WITHOUT the human issues that go along with 5 points.

Quote:
I could go on, but why? You are looking for a scene that is not rooted in reality. Vagrants and homeless are a part of the urban experience.
Another CLUELESS poster who thinks of Atlanta as it was when he first arrived. Wake up! Vagrants and homeless are only a major problem in five points!

Quote:
You are free to do whatever you like, but go back and reread your words. Maybe you should do a sociological study and look directly into the face of what you don't want to see:
Here is another reason:

Last time I shot there, I couldnt even take a picture because I was HARASSED every minute by someone wanting money. It was not worth it! I couldnt even focus on my work. Finally, I had to use the old "No habla ingles" just to get a shot off.

Quote:
And realize that there are actually people out there who need help, yet are maligned by society as a "problem" that needs to be "solved" thus removing an element of their very humanity. The only problem that needs solving is that the majority of people in this country probably don't care at all that the man above is sleeping in a building doorway right now and probably has no idea where his next meal is coming from.

So, to answer your original question, go to the District in Atlantic Station in the late afternoon/evening on the weekend.
I didnt have to explain WHY I wanted to avoid Five Points. I dont want to shoot there, and so I WONT. That should have been the end of it.. but I took the time to explain myself, and you attacked. I dont need to be lectured. I am just trying to take pictures without being hounded and show off a different side of Atlanta. If that makes me a terrible person, oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta