Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 02:35 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,638,795 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market for a house and one of the areas where I'm finding a lot of stuff to my liking is in the 30339 zip code. Specifically, the northern most part just north of 285 and east of 75 around Paces Ferry and Windy Hill. I was wondering what people could tell me about this area. Is it safe? Is it good for singles? How is commuting from there to downtown, Dunwoody, or Alpharetta? How are home values and do you think it would be a mistake to buy a place there? Is it a liberal or conservative area? Any info would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 03:10 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,013 times
Don't know the whole neighborhood, but I used to live in an apartment in that zip code a couple of years ago off of Powers Ferry right south of Windy Hill. Seems very safe, and it's super convenient to both major highways. The Chattahoochee river park areas are a real plus for that neighborhood. Have no idea about property values, but the houses in the back neighborhoods all seemed to be in nice shape.

It seemed to be liberal-ish with some conservative feel mixed in--pretty moderate overall, really. The office parks there make it feel a bit more city-like in some respects. You'll be really close to a ton of shopping on Cobb Parkway without having to live near that mess. (The traffic on Powers Ferry and that part of Windy Hill is pretty non-hectic.)

Ethnically, it seemed mostly white, Indian, and Brazilian in that area--African-American to a lesser extent.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:36 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,377 times
Default Heavy blend of business....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I'm in the market for a house and one of the areas where I'm finding a lot of stuff to my liking is in the 30339 zip code. Specifically, the northern most part just north of 285 and east of 75 around Paces Ferry and Windy Hill. I was wondering what people could tell me about this area. Is it safe? Is it good for singles? How is commuting from there to downtown, Dunwoody, or Alpharetta? How are home values and do you think it would be a mistake to buy a place there? Is it a liberal or conservative area? Any info would be helpful.
The housing is a mix and there are some new developments along Akers Mill that might be able to be had at below normal market rates. 30339 is the most densely poplulated zip code for business. You will find more businesses located in this zip code than any other. I'm talking about core businesses in major buildings, not retail establishments although they have plenty of that as well.

If you don't mind living amongst all that business center impact, it's a good place. Vinings area will be a bit higher but, the SE quadrant I mentioned will be a bit more reasonable. Most of the NE quadrant is business with a few buildings converted to condos. Travel to downtown and all parts East and West while short on mileage are heavily, heavily travelled and you will spend a fair amount of time just getting onto major thoroughfares let alone travelling on them.....After hours will provide ample recreation near the river and venues in town. Newer parts of Cobb and Fulton are not that far away....airport about 30 mins with moderate traffic.

Not the usual destination for Cobb County residents overall but, it has it's share of restaurants, access to sport and public venues, the River, and highway access.......off hours you can get wherever you want to go fairly quickly. Take a peek at those condos just East of the river. It doesn't look like they are getting many takers.....probably a bit more liberal but that will tend to fade out as you go towards East and West Cobb and Alpharetta/Roswell, increasing towards Vinings and all points South.....not as safe around the mall and the Windy Hill East area but, again, that will fade as soon as you head a bit further North and East.....

here, check out this link as it relates to crime....here's the stuff the realtor never tells you....most are predictable....me? I tend to focus on the violent crime filter....note the density of crime and where...shame we don't have this covering the entire metro but, you can get a good idea of the crime inside most of the perimeter....and people wonder why most FLOCK to the suburbs......again, doesn't cover the stuff outside so, it's a bit misleading....not to worry, Cobb can have murders and assaults too so you won't miss that action if you are so inclined, just keep digging....

Here's the link for Atlanta proper when you are planning your next trendy dinner or event........filter away....make sure you adjust the date filter to get a good, complete snapshot of 1 year.....amazing.....ain't it?

Atlanta Crime Maps

Old 05-20-2011, 06:48 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,377 times
Default Another link

Here's another link where you can trend down towards that area you mentioned......overall, it appears Atlanta has an appetite to steal and beat the shiite out of people......followed distantly by rape and murder.....looks like this one records 111 murders and a roughly 20 out of 1,000 residents being a victim of crime or, said another way, roughly 2 out of a hundred, 1 out of 50......not too bad overall for a major metropolitan area but, still a disturbing trend overall? Click on any area you wish to review and drill down....at some point they want you to subscribe, don't bother, the FBI and State have good records out there as well for free....everything from criminal stats to sex offenders.....study thoroughly to find a neighborhood that presently is not so much a problem....good luck.....

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2011 at 06:17 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 07:55 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,634 times
Just moved into a townhome near Windy Hill and Powers Ferry. Only been here about a week, but so far, so good. No complaints yet. Great location for commuting. Being able to get off 75 at Cumberland Parkway saves a lot of frustration with the 75-285 interchange.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:31 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,638,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Just moved into a townhome near Windy Hill and Powers Ferry. Only been here about a week, but so far, so good. No complaints yet. Great location for commuting. Being able to get off 75 at Cumberland Parkway saves a lot of frustration with the 75-285 interchange.
Can you PM me the name of the complex? I'm just wondering if it's the one I've been looking at. How are commute times and to where?

Old 05-21-2011, 01:56 PM

559 posts, read 832,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
We live and work right in that area and have for over 15 years now.

Safety - I think it's about like most areas of ATL. If you're smart and take the right precautions, you'll be fine. In our subdivision, we lock our doors at night, but not really during the day.

I did have one theft in my garage about 5 years ago. I left our side door open and somebody took my wallet and cellphone out of my car. They took the cash and credit cards, and dumped the rest in a post office parking lot for it to be picked up and returned.

Also had an attempted break-in at my office 2.5 years ago. Some kids tried to throw a landscaping block thru a window, but it didn't work and they got nothing.

Singles scene - No idea. Been married and whipped for 14 years, and wasn't exactly a chick magnet before that.

Property values - our home appreciated about 60-70% from 2000-2007 or so, and has probably dropped about 25% since peaking. All in all, I think our home has held up much better than most.

Our commercial property has not seen a reduction in our tax appraisal at all, although I may protest that a bit because we get hammered each yr. Hard to say about commercial property value because there are no true comps to our building in the area.

Politically - Our subdivision is likely 90% conservative, but the rest of the area is very mixed because of the ethnic diversity. We did have one Obama sign in our cul-de-sac, but they moved back up north.

Commute - the best part of all. We can get downtown, Lenox, Town Center, or Perimeter all within 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta