Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:08 PM

9 posts, read 34,866 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Atlanta after living NYC for over 15 years. We would enroll our one child (9) in private school. My question would be what is the the best area to live in? We want a beautiful town but close to the action of the city. Our home budget would be from 1 to 2.5 million. My other priority would be that the town has strong resale history. I have of heard of Buckhead, but are there any others we should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 PM

387 posts, read 1,594,318 times
Live in Buckhead, send the kid to Westminster. There you go, your life is set.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 13,176 times
SAVE YOURSELF STAY IN NYC... NO ATLANTA PLEASE... I am trying to get up there one day. I can't not stand Atlanta. it is a fake city. too many edge cities and sprawl. everything is outside of the city. buckhead is nice, but if you don't have money it is no use. sorry, you are better off in NYC (although living is cheaper here)

Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,667,318 times
Actually the public schools in Buckhead aren't bad, actually pretty good.

The good private schools are very competitive to get into. If you think you are moving by this fall, you had better jump on it. Does your child attend a prestigious private school in NYC? If so, you need to speak to the headmaster/mistress about what connections he/she may have here.

Ansley Park is also a beautiful area, but very urban.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 PM

196 posts, read 732,704 times
Are you looking for a new home or an older one with character? There are several areas around the city that will cater to your requirements. Buckhead is one choice, Dunwoody another. Please be move specific and I will be glad to help.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:02 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,742,191 times
Sure, look at Ansley Park, Druid Hills and Garden Hills. Buckhead has pockets of unique neighborhoods so an agent who specializes in upscale intown properties may be your best bet.
If you're interested in living in the 'burbs, you'll find plenty of land out in Alpharetta or Duluth with lots of upscale neighborhoods. All depends on the environment you're looking for.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:15 PM

9 posts, read 34,866 times
We would be looking for a new home or one that has been renovated - no big projects. Also, we have no interest in having a huge yard.
My daughter attends a all girls private school in the city - education is important.
Lastly, does anyone know of a good real estate agency with a good website?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,276,832 times
There's a good bit of new construction in the 30327 zip code that might suit your needs (Buckhead) and that's where many of the most prestigious private schools in the city are located.

While Druid Hills and Ansley Park are the city's finest historic neighborhoods and have gorgeous homes, there are relatively few new homes in either neighborhood (although there are some). Also, you will find at that most homes in that price range sit on large lots.

Of course, there are some wonderful high end communities outside the perimeter as well.

You'll find that Atlanta is strongly divided between ITP (inside the perimeter) and OTP (outside the perimeter) -- the perimeter being I-285, which rings the city. Because of the horrifying traffic, there has been a tremendous move inside the perimeter over the past 5-10 years. Some historic neighborhoods have regentrified, while others that never suffered a decline have had prices rise astronomically.

Still, $1 - 2.5 million is a big number in Atlanta and will buy you an excellent home regardless of whether you are intown or out in the 'burbs.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,276,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm28 View Post
Lastly, does anyone know of a good real estate agency with a good website?

Don't depend on any particular agency's web site. Have your agent create a custom internet gateway for you. These web sites update every night and will provide you with listings that meet your specific criteria. It's a much more efficient method of searching than slogging through every listing.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:05 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,781,942 times
I suggest also looking at Vinings (zip code 30339), which actually borders Buckhead (other end of Paces Ferry from downtown Buckhead):
* You'll get more house for the money than in Buckhead for a home. Your price range won't get you much in Buckhead in kid-friendly areas.
* Taxes will be less than Fulton county since it's in Cobb County.
* I personally believe Vinings has a lot more room for home value growth, especially with with all the highrise development planned for Cumberland (also adjoining Vinings).
* Many townhomes, homes, and condos in Vinings have a skyline view.
* Actually closer to Westminster private schools than many parts of Buckhead

The average Vinings home, townhome, or condo is in the $600k to $1.5M range depending on size with the most expensive I see listed right now at $3.75M for a 5br 5.5 bath home (Buckhead goes all the way up to $19M). Vinings is mostly inside the perimeter, just 3 or 4 miles down Paces Ferry from the center of Buckhead (Lenox square).

Also, check out Sandy Springs, along with the Druid Hills area of Decatur.

Last edited by netdragon; 01-30-2008 at 01:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta