Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 11:49 AM

5 posts, read 14,151 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We live in Huntcliff in Sandy Springs, and have been here since 2002; we love it. For the past four years, our daughter has gone to pre-K and Kindergarten at Roswell United Methodist Church. ( I HIGHLY recommend that program btw)

Now our daughter is about to enter first grade, and we are apparently zoned for Ison Springs. We do not know much about the school, we haven't been able to gather much info about the school; and naturally we are very curious as to where our daughter will go to school. We briefly considered the private school option, but what we've realized is that in the private schools; they have developed a very poor reputation for managing their students. We know a surprising number of family's who are pulling their kids out of private schools because the schools simply refuse to do anything about bullying. Holy Innocents comes up often in this conversation. It appears as though the schools would rather rationalize and turn a blind eye to the bullying, lest they risk angering tuition paying parents for punishing their children for bullying.

So, we are left with Ison Springs. We took a tour of the school, and it is VERY nice. It was quiet, the class rooms seemed well appointed; but we cannot find any information on the quality of information and how well behaved the student population is.

Like it or not, we have to face reality, certain demographics introduce more instability, behavioral, and criminal issues into any given group at any given time. I'm a former cop, we have more than one teacher in the family; and we know that in our world, kids from single parent homes tend to introduce thuggery, criminal/drug issues into student populations sooner rather than later; and in a more violent fashion.

That said, I have a logical concern with the demographic make up of Ison Springs. My daughter will absolutely be in the minority at Ison Springs, which on its face does not bother me; because we are teaching her to see people as individuals, not part of some collective group/race. That is all well and good, until we must get down to the hard facts that more of a crminal element comes from transient, single parent homes; and Sandy Springs has its hands full with crime coming out of the apartment communites that are served by Ison Springs.

Some may opt to get political and say something snarky as in that turn about is fair play as far as our daughter being the minority; but that will do nothing but expose the commenter as someone just looking to place politics over reality, and not really interested in dialogue. Fact is that we have every rational and logical reason to be concerned about what our daughter will get exposed to as a member of the minority demographic.

Again, as a former cop, I know who commits what crimes. I am a US Army Infantry combat veteran. I'm also a 30 year martial arts practictioner, who has already started teaching my daughter to defend herself. Making another concern: What happens to my daughter if she has to defend herself? I teach her to defend herself definitively, and leave no room for an attacker to come back at her when her back is turned. Even at six, she knows not to be offensive in her ability to take care of herself. We will not tolerate her being the bully, as much as we will not tolerate her being bullied.

All of that said, can someone provide any information; or any link to any information on the performance and environment of Ison Springs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 12:48 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntcliffFolk View Post
Hello all,

We live in Huntcliff in Sandy Springs, and have been here since 2002; we love it. For the past four years, our daughter has gone to pre-K and Kindergarten at Roswell United Methodist Church. ( I HIGHLY recommend that program btw)

Now our daughter is about to enter first grade, and we are apparently zoned for Ison Springs. We do not know much about the school, we haven't been able to gather much info about the school; and naturally we are very curious as to where our daughter will go to school. We briefly considered the private school option, but what we've realized is that in the private schools; they have developed a very poor reputation for managing their students. We know a surprising number of family's who are pulling their kids out of private schools because the schools simply refuse to do anything about bullying. Holy Innocents comes up often in this conversation. It appears as though the schools would rather rationalize and turn a blind eye to the bullying, lest they risk angering tuition paying parents for punishing their children for bullying.

So, we are left with Ison Springs. We took a tour of the school, and it is VERY nice. It was quiet, the class rooms seemed well appointed; but we cannot find any information on the quality of information and how well behaved the student population is.

Like it or not, we have to face reality, certain demographics introduce more instability, behavioral, and criminal issues into any given group at any given time. I'm a former cop, we have more than one teacher in the family; and we know that in our world, kids from single parent homes tend to introduce thuggery, criminal/drug issues into student populations sooner rather than later; and in a more violent fashion.

That said, I have a logical concern with the demographic make up of Ison Springs. My daughter will absolutely be in the minority at Ison Springs, which on its face does not bother me; because we are teaching her to see people as individuals, not part of some collective group/race. That is all well and good, until we must get down to the hard facts that more of a crminal element comes from transient, single parent homes; and Sandy Springs has its hands full with crime coming out of the apartment communites that are served by Ison Springs.

Some may opt to get political and say something snarky as in that turn about is fair play as far as our daughter being the minority; but that will do nothing but expose the commenter as someone just looking to place politics over reality, and not really interested in dialogue. Fact is that we have every rational and logical reason to be concerned about what our daughter will get exposed to as a member of the minority demographic.

Again, as a former cop, I know who commits what crimes. I am a US Army Infantry combat veteran. I'm also a 30 year martial arts practictioner, who has already started teaching my daughter to defend herself. Making another concern: What happens to my daughter if she has to defend herself? I teach her to defend herself definitively, and leave no room for an attacker to come back at her when her back is turned. Even at six, she knows not to be offensive in her ability to take care of herself. We will not tolerate her being the bully, as much as we will not tolerate her being bullied.

All of that said, can someone provide any information; or any link to any information on the performance and environment of Ison Springs?

Hello HuntcliffFolk!

Love your neighborhood by the way.

I think you bring up many valid concerns--and I do think you are going about it in a sincere and pragmatic manner.

I am also interested to see what some have to say about Ison Springs.

Moreover, kudos to you for considering Ison Springs--you're doing the school search/"sleuthing" in the right way. You've toured the school, etc--and now you are seeking insider advice.

My only warning/advice so far: Be aware of any sensational, prejudiced, or uninformed blanket statements about the school or community in general. Ison Springs could be a jewel. It will take a truly discerning eye to know the right situation for your daughter and your family.

Good Luck! Hopefully I will be able to help out as things go along...

Old 05-14-2011, 01:27 PM

Some helpful information:

http://portal.fultonschools.org/departments/Operations/Operational_Planning/Documents/ZoneMaps/LargeMap_NFSS_ES_1011.pdf (broken link)

http://portal.fultonschools.org/departments/Operations/Operational_Planning/Documents/ZoneMaps/ES/IsonSpringsES_1011.pdf (broken link)

http://portal.fultonschools.org/depa...feeder1112.pdf

http://portal.fultonschools.org/Scho...on_springs.pdf

Ison Springs Elementary School

Old 05-14-2011, 01:47 PM

5 posts, read 14,151 times
Hi Aries! Thank you for taking the time to respond in such a thoughtful way. And good guidance, duly noted. I certainly did not want to come across as someone making a uninformed blanket generalization; so I did try to make my comments and questions in as tactful manner as possible. I truly only want real genuine responses because we REALLY want to like this school; and be thrilled that our daughter is in it.

The staff seems to be very good, and the facilities are first rate.

Sadly, my opinion of our education system in our country is not so high; so I have to work at it to remain objective and not have a "chip" on my shoulder towards the education system that we do have.

I'd like to think that Ison Springs will be that jewel. They have everything that they need to be that diamond in the rough.

Also, thank you for the links. Somehow my google-fu is really cruddy today; and I've failed to find those links. I will make good use of them.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntcliffFolk View Post
Hi Aries! Thank you for taking the time to respond in such a thoughtful way. And good guidance, duly noted. I certainly did not want to come across as someone making a uninformed blanket generalization; so I did try to make my comments and questions in as tactful manner as possible. I truly only want real genuine responses because we REALLY want to like this school; and be thrilled that our daughter is in it.

The staff seems to be very good, and the facilities are first rate.

Sadly, my opinion of our education system in our country is not so high; so I have to work at it to remain objective and not have a "chip" on my shoulder towards the education system that we do have.

I'd like to think that Ison Springs will be that jewel. They have everything that they need to be that diamond in the rough.

Also, thank you for the links. Somehow my google-fu is really cruddy today; and I've failed to find those links. I will make good use of them.

No problem.

I wasn't implying that you were/are making uninformed blanket generalizations--just to be aware of others who surely will!

The education system in the U.S. is actually very good/top-notch when compared to school systems in most other developed countries. I could explain more, but trust me--this statement is from someone who has worked extensively in school systems throughout the U.S. and internationally...and extensively with people/families (while in the educational system arena) from countries all over the world.

If most Americans only knew how good our system really is...and how so many non-Americans seem to already know this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta