Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:23 AM

6 posts, read 14,708 times

Advertisements

Not that there is anything bad about NJ besides the high cost of living, my husband now travels about 90% of the time and we need a change. I looked into Dallas but feel because of the Atlanta airport it is another great option. Here is our situation:

1. Budget 650k tops
2. House/Condo/Townhome? would like to buy a house, I really don't want to rent, I want to move and be settled
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - need close proximity to airport
4. Children(public school vs. private) 4 kids all public school, middle and elementary, one is low functioning Autism so need a school with some experience and services
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - definately suburban with proximity to parks, shopping etc.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - families with young kids, stay at home moms, friendly

Thanks in advance for taking time out of your day to give your perspective. Once I can narrow down a few areas I can do more research, call the schools etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:31 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,015,861 times
How close is 'close to the airport'? Most of Atlanta's nicer areas aren't particularly close to the airport.

Peachtree City could be a good option for you. ~30 minutes driving to the airport. $650k will easily get you a nice big house (5BR, I would think) on a tree-filled 1+ acre lot, possibly on/near a lake. Much cheaper houses than the northside. Excellent public schools, and a very family-oriented community. The city was planned to be filled with cart paths and parks, which wind throughout the entire city.

The drawback is that it's a rather conservative place, if that bothers you.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,651,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheik22dog View Post
Not that there is anything bad about NJ besides the high cost of living, my husband now travels about 90% of the time and we need a change. I looked into Dallas but feel because of the Atlanta airport it is another great option. Here is our situation:

1. Budget 650k tops
2. House/Condo/Townhome? would like to buy a house, I really don't want to rent, I want to move and be settled
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - need close proximity to airport
4. Children(public school vs. private) 4 kids all public school, middle and elementary, one is low functioning Autism so need a school with some experience and services
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - definately suburban with proximity to parks, shopping etc.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - families with young kids, stay at home moms, friendly

Thanks in advance for taking time out of your day to give your perspective. Once I can narrow down a few areas I can do more research, call the schools etc.
Some areas to checkout include:

-Smyrna (georgia.gov - City of Smyrna)

- Peachtree City (Peachtree City, GA - Official Website)

- Stockbridge (City of Stockbridge - Welcome)

- Coweta County (South of Atlanta but not too far from airport (Coweta County : Home)

If you want to be in a nice area on the Northside of town, consider Sandy Springs (City of Sandy Springs - Home).

In Sandy Springs, you will have access to MARTA (bus and rail) and the train could take your husband to the airport (if he desires this). The schools are top-notch, the area is clean and beautiful. The houses in Sandy Springs are very nice and within your budget. In addition to MARTA, the area has an abundance of restaurants, Perimeter Mall (http://www.perimetermall.com/) and many hospitals including Northside (http://www.northside.com/home/index.aspx (broken link)) and Children's Healthcare of Atlanta (http://www.choa.org/).

Last edited by BeyondInfinity; 05-10-2011 at 10:24 AM..

Old 05-10-2011, 12:34 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,725,247 times
DO NOT go to Dallas, TX, I assume you mean TX, as there is a Dallas, GA as well, a far NW suburb of ATL, actually a very nice and growing area.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:19 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,869,456 times
Why even start that? If you're going to suggest that someone not move to a certain place, atleast give a valid reason why. And you hating the place doesn't count.

The OP should create a thread in the Dallas forum to get more help from locals. Looking at some of the thread titles, it seems as if the DFW area has a growing popularity with New Yorkers and Jerseyans.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 14,708 times
Thanks to everyone that replied! I appreciate it and will look into the areas mentioned. I did a fair amount of research on suburbs of Dallas like Keller, Colleyville that seem like they would fit our requirements, would anyone have any idea how these areas compare to suburbs of Atlanta like Peachtree City or Smryna or what the differences are?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:40 PM

859 posts, read 2,124,573 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone that replied! I appreciate it and will look into the areas mentioned. I did a fair amount of research on suburbs of Dallas like Keller, Colleyville that seem like they would fit our requirements, would anyone have any idea how these areas compare to suburbs of Atlanta like Peachtree City or Smryna or what the differences are?
Keller and Colleyville consist mostly of homes, little retail development. Many of your everyday needs will be found in southlake which is a 5-10 minute drive away. Southlake is basically Peachtree City but a little more developed. As for comparing Smyrna, it's basically apples and oranges. It's hard to compare Smyrna because of its close proximity to the city- in my opinion it is a suburb only in name.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:26 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,869,456 times
Quote:
Northwest suburbs like Colleyville and Southlake seem like they would be perfect for your family. The Colleyville area has great schools and is served by two nationally recognized high schools.

I don't know much about Peachtree City, but I'm sure it would meet your requirements. Schools I don't know about.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:07 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,788,779 times
I love Smyrna - but that would not be my recommendation. Public schools are not the best and I don't typically associate it with Stay At Home moms. Peachtree City would be my first recommendation but there are several good options in in ATL, I would research the autism programs first and see if that narrows the search.

I worked in Dallas for 18 months (traveling from Atlanta). Dallas is amazingly similar to Atlanta but the weather always seemed to be just a bit colder or a bit hotter. Atlanta is just a prettier city when you consider the hills and trees.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:00 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,342,488 times
The suburbs of ATL and DFW are both great. I think the schools in the Dallas area do tend to be better. Both areas are similar yet have their differences. I do hate though when people move to either cities burbs and then complain about the city itself. Two totally different experiences living the burbs and in the city. If you do choose to move into the center of either city you will be more likely to find that single family home with a cute little yard in Atlanta. Central Dallas has very little single family residences. Both cities have very large, busy airports so you can't go wrong with either on that front. Dallas also has Love Field airport right in the city for quick access. I've even walked to Love Field for a flight. I lived a mile down the street from it for a little while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta