Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:40 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,579,709 times

Advertisements

What are your positive aspects of Atlanta ? What are some of the things you like the most about Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 01:49 PM

61 posts, read 245,890 times
I have lived here for 20 years now and I dont have many nice things to say...but I will try really hard I like that there are lots of trees and that you can get a very private yard in most neighborhoods. Houses are still somewhat affordable compared to some cities. There are endless good restaurants. Last but not least...its familiar.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,918,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
What are your positive aspects of Atlanta ? What are some of the things you like the most about Atlanta?
Ask a South Floridian. One positive thing about Atlanta is that South Floridians can move there and wear rose colored glasses so they don't realize they moved to an area with the same exact problems, except some even worse. . For some reason, some people think moving to less expensive city is moving to one with a higher quality of life. When Atlanta is totally ruined in 10 years, blame South Florida!

That is of course unless can't afford South Florida...

Now, Atlanta is a VERY nice city, don't get me wrong, but that's just my view. It does have an awesome job market, vibrant urban neighborhoods, and affordable homes.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:33 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Trees! Pretty landscaping. Ladies with southern accents. :-) Possums (which I had never seen until we moved down here). Four seasons, but mostly a nice looooong fall instead of a "real" winter. Trees. Lots of fun roads to drive on (when the traffic levels are low). Lots of houses with porches. Little lizards on *our* front porch. Trees. :-)

Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,741,685 times
Cost of living compared with other big cities is unmatched; trees galore; beautiful neighborhoods and really a pretty city if you drive around; overall very friendly people; great weather; great place to raise a family.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:20 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,837 times
I love the home proces here along all the things to do. Each community is sef sustaining and most, especialy the intown neighborhoods, have scores of unique restaurants with great cuisine. As everyone else mentioned the trees is definately a plus here. I think ATlanta is the most heavily forrested major city in the country. Its slower down here than the north which is a good thing to me. The people are nice for the most part and are more than wiling to help with anything. While it has all the problems of any major city, I think the good outwieghs the bad. Apparently the 5 million and couting in our metro think so too. ;-)

Old 08-01-2007, 06:51 PM

110 posts, read 438,911 times
well i live in nyc and have a second home in atlanta. my client just moved from atlanta to NYC and want to go back cause new york is too expensive.

he got raise to come in nyc but his standard of living is lower in nyc now even with a higher amount of money.

the best thing in atlanta is for young people cause they can buy condo lets say 1 bdr is $200k but in new york 1 bdr is 1 million $

You get much more for your $$$ in Atlanta than anywhere else in the USA and thats the best thing for me.
Everything else is bonus.

in any city in the USA you have good or bad people. but on the end what matters is how you are going to live with your family.

Atlanta offers great lifestyle for your money.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:43 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,683,843 times
The fact that we aren't like other cities, not yet anyway, with all the Yanks here now, they're doing their damnest to turn us into a NYC or Boston, and make us blue.

I can work in the city and be on the lake in 30 minutes or in the mountains hunting/fishing in 90 minutes. Ever see 'Deliverance'???

We don't boo our hometown baseball team and as much as people love Pro-football.... Fall and college football in the South reigns supreme, it's perfect!

Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 PM

77 posts, read 332,676 times
There's a lot to do in the Metro-Atlanta area and its all relatively easy to get to (unless you're in rush hour). There's a ton of shopping and a lot of nice restaurants. You can go watch a big play at the Fox Theater or head down to Little 5 Points and go to some of the black box theaters. There's a plethora of bars and clubs for the night life people, and its not even that bad since they instituted the alcohol cut-off and put cameras up in those areas.

Also Atlanta is probably the only area where you can sit next to a rival sports fan, argue, and not come to blows (lets see a Yankees fan and a Red Sox fan sit next to each other in a bar without one threatening the other or violence breaking out :P). They even make the license plates that are half Tech half Bulldog for those married couples who are fans of both. You won't see that with a Michigan/Ohio State license plate :P.

All in all, Atlanta and the surrounding area isn't a bad city. The bad areas are very bad (not as bad as NYC, Chicago, or LA mind you), but you can easily tell when you're "crossing the tracks"...figuratively speaking....and you can turn around and go the other way.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:47 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,930 times
As a native Californian who moved here 8 years ago, I can say that I appreciate alot of things about Atlanta. In California within one hour from my Mom's Ladera Heights Condo Ladera Heights, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in West LA, I can hit the beach (5min), snow(2hr), desert(2hr), mountains(2hr) and all of the activities that come with that scenary. SO I definately miss that but..the downside for a youngster like me, It was hard to get into investing & owning real estate as a single young man.

Being here in Atlanta I appreciate being driving and flying distance to so many other great cities and great access to the Carribean (Especially since I fly for free). You can drive to New Orleans, Charleston, Nashville, Memphis, Amelia Island/Fernadina Beach, Hilton Head which are all within reasonable driving distance. Also there are plenty of outdoors activities here. Youy can fly to NYC, DC, MIA, CHI all within 2 hours so that's a plus. In Los Angeles you just can't do those weekend trips to those cities!

One of the reasons I appreciate Atlanta Is because of the large amount of prosperous African-Americans here doing well & that are willing to share advice, knowledge on everything from business to life. Growing up in the Ladera Heights/Baldwin Hills area Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in West Los Angeles which are also predominately African-American areas like Atlanta AND that is also one of wealthiest areas in the United States I could relate to the Atlanta movement of African-Americans moving here during our college years or young professional years to start our lives because my neighborhood was the best of the best Nationwide, from doctors, lawyers, actors, athletes to established professionals.

Many of my peers from schools in Los Angeles area came here to various institutions in the Atlanta University Center (Clark Atlanta University, Spelman, Morehouse College) to get a new experience and to strike out in a new world. Atlanta offers a new world with so many new frontiers in the city to where you can build your ideas here. Los Angeles is already so saturated with alot of business ideas that new ideas can really flourish here (Upscale restaurants, bars amongst other things.)

That's my 2 cents..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta