Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 05:02 AM

470 posts, read 1,283,408 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to decatur in Mid May - We have toured the Suburban school and have secured a spot but we are not totally sold on it. I know this is late and the wait lists are pretty long but any other recommendations here for an early childhood development center?

We currently live in smyrna and both of my daughters (3 1/2 yr old and 5 month old) attend the primrose there and we love it. It is a new facility and the teachers have been great. We are looking for the same thing if possible in decatur.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 AM

99 posts, read 213,548 times
What "suburban school" are you referring to? Are you talking about the City of Decatur? Or other?

How are you able to secure a spot in Decatur without an address yet?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:47 PM

262 posts, read 639,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsanders View Post
What "suburban school" are you referring to? Are you talking about the City of Decatur? Or other?

How are you able to secure a spot in Decatur without an address yet?
He's talking about Suburban Nursery, a daycare in Decatur. I can't remember if it's in the CoD or not, but it doesn't matter because it's private.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:57 PM
VJP

723 posts, read 1,736,667 times
I have friends who use the Sunshine House and seem to enjoy it.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:56 PM

426 posts, read 1,450,519 times
I posted this ages ago, so perhaps a bit dated. But it may give you some ideas you haven't tried yet:

1. Phoenix School (http://www.thephoenixschool.com/): (broken link) (broken link) Crazy long wait list, but great school. They used to do part-time, but I have heard they did away with it. Most places don't do part-time. For part-time care, you may do better looking for a nanny (I can give you suggestions about that too, if you decide to go that route. Going rate for a part-time nanny is $10-14/hour.)

2. Central Presbyterian Childcare Center(http://www.central-presbyterian.org/living_the_faith/child_development_center.html): (broken link) (broken link) Downtown. Neighbor I know well has been very happy with it. Two kids there for a four years now.

3. The Frazer Center (website doesn't seem to be up, phone number 404-377-3836): On Ponce right before you reach Decatur. Don't know anyone with children there, but have a friend who used to work there. Aim is to serve children with disabilities and children without, so very interesting setup.

4. The Canterbury School (http://www.canterburyschool.us/): (broken link) (broken link) Downtown. Have a friend whose children go there and who went there when she was a child! I believe they do part-time care.

5. Druid Hills Presbyterian Child Development Center (http://www.dhcdc.com/): (broken link) (broken link) Corner of Ponce and Highland. A friend from my prenatal/post-partum yoga class sent her baby there and was very happy with it.

6. Easter Seals Child Development Center in the Federal Center building downtown (404-562-0158): Know nothing about it other than someone I know recommended it to someone else I know.

7. Sheltering Arms, East Lake (http://www.shelteringarmsforkids.com/): (broken link) (broken link) I offer this with some hesitation. Someone in our neighborhood parent's network took her child out of this center because of an injury. But it has a good reputation in the state and it is really convenient to East Atlanta (across from the East Lake Publix). Research it and make your own decision.

8. First School at First Baptist Decatur (First Baptist Decatur I know nothing about it except that it was recommended by someone in my neighborhood parent's network.

The state actually has a very good website with early childhood education resources: Bright from the Start - Home At the bottom of the page under parent resources they post all of the licensing reports on centers. That can tell you a lot! Also you can go to the National Association of Educators of Young Children website to search for centers with their accredidation: Search for an NAEYC-Accredited Program. Accreditation. National Association for the Education of Young Children NAEYC has more stringent standards than the state.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:11 AM

470 posts, read 1,283,408 times
Thanks, but all of those you listed are full - any others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: