Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Cwkimbro,

All i have to say is that you ROCK!

Sort of off topic, but i definitely thought that there would be twice as many Indians than Koreans living in Johns Creek, but the data shows that there are more Koreans than Indians living in JC. Wow 19.3% Asians.. Now that is a lot of Asians Awesome!

I have a feeling that i am going to love this place.
I might be wrong about some of this... I'm mainly speaking from personal experience/observations and what my high school graduating class was like....

I think more Indians moved in a little earlier than Koreans did. There have always been both, but I think you will find Norcross, Lilburn, Mountain Park CDP, and the unincorporated places in between have more Indians than Koreans. This is partly due to religious centers and I believe the positioning has alot to do with immediate access to different types of housing and different price points.

Cool fact from my hometown... Lilburn has the largest Stone Hindu temple of its kind outside of India

Google Maps

Another observation to note... particularly with Indians and muslim populations ... some of the newer, infill single cul-de-sac neighborhoods (4-10 houses) in older parts of Gwinnett Co. will become dominated by one minority demographic group... perhaps with similar affiliations to a single church, mosque, or temple.

besides the Gwinnett Place Mall area... if you haven't already... I really recommend you drive down Buford Highway sometimes all the way from Norcross to Lindbergh. Most of the strips malls and churches in the area target different racial/ethinic demographics (especially near Norcross, Doraville and Chamblee).

There are strip malls that are overwhelmingly Mexican, then there are strips malls that are all Vietnamese, all Chinese, etc...

I'm not sure about Koreans in particular. I know there are Korean businesses... but I'm not sure if there are entire Korean strip malls like there are Chinese, Vietnamese, and Mexican/Hispanic.

The area is older and not as nice, but it is really interesting to see.

Testa-

Korea Air has been apart of the SkyTeam Alliance since it was founded. That means whether it is Korean Air or Delta there should be a good amount of flight options between the two. They are both founding members and this is one of Atlanta's main transportation gateways to Asia. I think the Skyteam alliance represents 22% of flight capacity between N. America and Asia. This means Atlanta is cheaper to travel to and easier to access with direct flights or single connection flights vs double connections.

Sadly Delta's Skyteam alliance isn't as highly integrated or expansive as the Star Alliance (but I'm biased..... Lufthansa frequent flier membership is golden!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 PM

957 posts, read 3,355,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I was actually quite shocked to learn from the DHS's immigration yearbook that Atlanta is #4 nationally in the number of Koreans gaining permanent status, behind only LA, NYC, and Washington DC (we even beat out San Francisco, Chicago, and Seattle).

I don't understand exactly why Atlanta has become such a huge destination for Koreans, but I do know that Korean Air stated offering multiple flights per day between Atlanta and Seoul on certain days. Pretty crazy.
Testa, Do you have a source link to DHS's immigration yearbook? Where are you getting the data that Atlanta is #4 nationally in the number of Koreans gaining permanent status, behind only LA, NYC, and Washington DC (we even beat out San Francisco, Chicago, and Seattle).

When i first saw Atlanta's New K-Town off of Pleasant Hill (Gwinnett Place Mall) area, It was love at first sight. That's when I knew that Atlanta will be my new home.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:18 PM

642 posts, read 2,218,705 times
The weather(no snow) and the costs of houses are the only reason I can imagine. But I know many people who enjoy winter and its outdoor activities such as skiiing. And those people would never consider moving to a place like Atlanta.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 PM

876 posts, read 2,277,535 times
Korean churches can be found in many areas NE of Atlanta, from North Druid Hills, Tucker, Gwinnett and to the Alpharetta-Johns Creek area. In many cases, they use the facilities of existing English-speaking churches or take them completely over (sometimes all the signage is in Korean). I do not know the draw either as to why Koreans settled here in larger numbers than some other Asian groups. I knew there are a fair number of Koreans here, but did not realize their numbers were quite that high as a whole in metro Atlanta.

The links you provided, cwkimbro, are a cool reference. I think I had been to that website before, but it has been a while.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Testa, Do you have a source link to DHS's immigration yearbook? Where are you getting the data that Atlanta is #4 nationally in the number of Koreans gaining permanent status, behind only LA, NYC, and Washington DC (we even beat out San Francisco, Chicago, and Seattle).

When i first saw Atlanta's New K-Town off of Pleasant Hill (Gwinnett Place Mall) area, It was love at first sight. That's when I knew that Atlanta will be my new home.
DHS | Yearbook of Immigration Statistics: 2009

Supplemental Chart 2

1) Los Angeles 6,208

2) New York 3,931

3) Washington DC 1,666

4) Atlanta 1,038

5) Chicago 856

6) Seattle 774

7) San Jose 694

8) San Francisco 628

9) Dallas 500

10) Philadelphia 463

If you add San Jose and San Francisco together they would beat us. But Atlanta being roughly double our peer cities (like Philly and Dallas) is pretty impressive. Koreans are our fourth fastest-growing immigrant group, and make up 4-5% of new immigrants. I'd imagine the educational level of Koreans is pretty high, so they definitely make up a group I'm glad to have.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Koreans are our fourth fastest-growing immigrant group, and make up 4-5% of new immigrants. I'd imagine the educational level of Koreans is pretty high, so they definitely make up a group I'm glad to have.
I agree. And hasn't Atlanta for the most part avoided the tension between blacks and Koreans that has marked some cities? I know there were some attacks here following the Rodney King riots but that was 20 years ago and I haven't heard much more about it. That speaks well of our city's ability to handle diversity.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 PM

Among the Asians living in the U.S., Indians probably top the educational level and median income. Their median income level is higher than the Chinese and Koreans living in the U.S. This group takes education and schools very seriously. They are also a group I'd like to have.

They are concentrated in subdivisions in the top school districts of JC. i.e. Gates of Johns Creek, Madion Park, The Preserve, Ashton Woods, etc.

Last edited by mrpanda; 03-01-2011 at 10:31 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 PM

33 posts, read 91,412 times
The Atlanta metro area is on the grow because of LOW TAXES, abundance of jobs (this answered in a recession remember), excellent roads, generally an open minded population, great climate, weekend trips to mountains or seashore doable. It has EVERYTHING! In my neighborhood in southern Gwinnett County we have a family from France. several people from England, eleven total households where one or both spouses are New Yorkers, a few gay couples, an old rock star, a few Canadians, and everyone gets along very very well. Atlanta IS what southern California was in the 1950's to 1980s, an area on the grow where people want to be and live and make their lives. Numerous companies were in the process of moving to Atlanta and halted their plans due to the recession. Even with that we have Korean Airlines, Delta Airlines, Coca-Cola, NIKE and many many other of the nation's and world's leading companies who have their headquarters here in Atlanta. Alot of mega celebrities live here too including Sir Elton John!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
I still think Money is the biggest reason. Cheaper labor and less tax. More liberal areas will always be more expensive. Most rich people want to hang onto as much money as they can.
I agree with this 100 percent.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:00 AM

I spoke with my CPA yesterday and he told me that Georgia allows itemized deductions while Illinois does not at the state level. Even though Illinois is 3% going to 5% while Georgia's state income tax is 6%, I would have been several thousand dollars ahead in terms of taxes had i stayed in Georgia all of 2010. I was encouraged when my CPA told me that i was making the right decision moving my business to Georgia from Illinois in terms of tax benefits.

Anyone here know the itemized deductions work? I know California is another state that allows itemized deduction.

Last edited by mrpanda; 03-09-2011 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta