Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:00 PM

357 posts, read 783,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Hate to say it, but I think all this means is that traffic in other cities is getting worse, not that traffic in Atlanta is getting better. I'd love to be wrong about that though.
probably has more to do with jobs leaving downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 04:30 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Thanks for this link.... I reeeally enjoyed looking at the tab on interstate freight movements. That is a really good source of information.
Very true. Apparently we come in at #4 in terms of total freight traffic (which is the important one), behind Chicago, LA's inland empire, and Dallas.

INRIX has good analysis by directly measuring traffic flow. Way better than the indirect commuter surveys and stuff we used to rely upon. Unfortunately most people's concept of who has good traffic and bad traffic is based on those old methods.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Well, with unemployment so high I would think that traffic would be much lower than normal.
Aren't the unemployed feverishly out looking for work?

While there may be some impact on traffic from the unemployment statistics, I bet it's far less than you think.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
Atlanta traffic IS bad, but definitely much better than when I was younger. ATL's problem was unpredictable wrecks with the way our freeway/arterial "grid" system is setup as well as sheer volume of drivers (we have a decent volume of drivers for each interchange here). If there was a wreck on one freeway, even if it was a distance from an interchange, it would STILL back up the other freeways on that interchange because of the wideness of the freeways, people trying to shuffle around to avoid "exit only" lanes (which causes a good bit of our congestion now, as after I get past exit only lanes the freeway moves at an acceptable speed 80% of the time), etc.. For example, if there was a wreck on 400, it would affect 285 east and west if all lanes, or even 2 lanes, were blocked for 2-4 hours. This would extend to 75 and 85 interchanges which would cause backups on THOSE freeways easily, and it becomes a ripple effect.

Like the article said, the GDOT has implemented strategies to alleviate problems specific to our region and they have worked quite well, IMO. I don't think we should be saying "oh, it's so bad" because of studies from the past and wear that with a badge of pride, but brag a little that we have competently ID'd and fixed some of our traffic woes with some sophisticated and "common sense" methods to keep traffic moving. I mean, compared to many cities, large ones even, I've never seen some of the methods implemented here except for maybe LA. We started out the whole smart traffic system even before LA did in the 90s with the Olympics. We've expanded it further than several cities to include non-interstate/freeway roads that are common for congestion. The HERO response unit has been a godsend for getting broken-down/flat tired/under-gassed cars off moving immediately to prevent rubbernecking and lane blockage.

I think some other things we could do is fix our traffic light system... it's so outdated, out of sync, and it would be better replaced with sensored lights in many areas. Now, if you want to make a case for our surface streets, then we'd be top 5 easily for horrible commutes. The lack of grid, numerous winding routes, clogs, etc.. are just awful compared to many areas, even higher density areas like LA. NYC (in the city), not so much because anyone who has been to Manhattan knows you ain't movin AT ALL there. But, the ENTIRE metro areas compared, we suck with our arterial and surface streets. The sheer amount of traffic in exurban areas is nothing I've seen in exurban areas of other metros. Or suburban traffic which can be compared to inner-city traffic of other cities. As stated, though, this could be fixed with retiming of lights/replacing with sensored lights, expansion of older roads in exurban areas, etc..

Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
To people who haven't lived in places like L.A. or New York, it probably seems pretty bad. To people who have, the traffic here is nothing!
I learned how to drive in the L.A. area in the early 90s... Atlanta traffic is NOWHERE near as bad as that was. And it's only gotten worse in socal. When I go back there for visits, I yearn for the horrendous 90s traffic.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:38 PM

635 posts, read 1,510,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I learned how to drive in the L.A. area in the early 90s... Atlanta traffic is NOWHERE near as bad as that was. And it's only gotten worse in socal. When I go back there for visits, I yearn for the horrendous 90s traffic.
ok, I just got back from l.a. I don't know how you could say that at all is much rather be going up and down 5 all day or the 60 or any other highway/interstate in l.a. county than any where on 75 or 675. This grand delusion of l.a.'s traffic is crazy, the many times I've been to l.a. has never yielded this terrible traffic y'all keep trying to talk about.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM

267 posts, read 885,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
ok, I just got back from l.a. I don't know how you could say that at all is much rather be going up and down 5 all day or the 60 or any other highway/interstate in l.a. county than any where on 75 or 675. This grand delusion of l.a.'s traffic is crazy, the many times I've been to l.a. has never yielded this terrible traffic y'all keep trying to talk about.
Have you been on the 405 between the 10 and the 101 at 5pm? I used to make that commute every single day back between 2000 and 2007. It took HOURS sometimes to go about 20 miles. I would sometimes get off the 405 onto Wilshire Blvd., which was just as bad at the freeway. Then, all the streets around Wilshire (Sepulveda, etc) were just as bad. If you tried to go down a small, residential street to bypass traffic? Nope. Other cars were doing the same which meant cars were lining those streets as well.

I've never seen anything as bad as that in Atlanta. I doubt I will for a long, long time. Just look at the population comparison. There are more people in the L.A. Metro area ALONE than in the entire state of Georgia. That should tell you something right there.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:26 PM

267 posts, read 885,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
that's a cute statement I'm sorry the giant ego of l.a. has messed up your head I've never encountered anything like atlanta traffic in any other major city ny joke, la closer but joke, denver joke chicago joke, boston joke, seattle joke ive lived extensively in every area trust me just because atlantas city limits are small people don't think of it as a real city that's crap get of yalls high horse this is rediculous stop trying to put the atlanta is nothing compared to ... Sentence in your posts cuz it is. Jeez.
There is no need for name calling. I am saying in my OPINION the traffic in Atlanta is not that bad. Sure, I've been in a few real bad traffic jams here in Atlanta. But usually it's been because of road construction or an accident. Otherwise with just the traffic itself, while it can be annoying, I can easily get off a main freeway and bypass a lot of traffic by taking side streets or other, smaller highways. I was never able to do that while living in Los Angeles. To me, that makes traffic there much, much worse.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:34 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
I am saying in my OPINION the traffic in Atlanta is not that bad. Sure, I've been in a few real bad traffic jams here in Atlanta. But usually it's been because of road construction or an accident.
I agree and have said exactly the same thing. Many times if people would stop tailgating and slow down, they could avoid having the accident in the first place. Stupidity can play as much of a role as sheer volume.

Traffic can be bad, but usually at certain times on certain roads, and only in rush hour or during some kind of construction or accident.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I agree and have said exactly the same thing. Many times if people would stop tailgating and slow down, they could avoid having the accident in the first place. Stupidity can play as much of a role as sheer volume.

Traffic can be bad, but usually at certain times on certain roads, and only in rush hour or during some kind of construction or accident.
The thing is that "certain times," "certain roads," "rush hour," "construction," and "accidents" cover most of the major roads during the bulk of people's waking hours IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta