Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times

Advertisements

MARTA needs to become broader, but there's a long road to get there. Maybe you have inside sources, but I'm skeptical Cobb County residents can be convinced at this point in time. Not sure enough of Gwinnet can be convinced either. And I don't see the state forcing it on them or offerring a bunch of state support to encourage them.

I don't remember the source on the N. Fulton mayors decision not to promote the northern MARTA extension as part of the sales tax, it was probably either AJC or a patch article, quoting one of the North Fulton mayors in the last couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 09:59 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Isn't part of the point of these connections to allow for many different kinds of commutes? Maybe there aren't a number of Kennesaw-Dunwoody drivers, but there are certainly TONS of daily commuters with a Kennesaw-Cumberland trek as part of their commute. Similarly, there are plenty of commuters with a 285-ish daily commute that includes all or part of a Cumberland-Dunwoody path. I thought they were stressing something more like this rather than a direct Kennesaw-Dunwoody line. But even with that, it might create more opportunities for people to get to/from Kennesaw to MARTA and intown.

It just seems smart to create these links to help expand the transit path options throughout the metro area. Kennesaw State alone is expecting to have something like 35,000 students enrolled by 2016. And they're seriously commuting in from all over (as 75 and 575 get increasingly clusterfreaky).
The figures I've seen quoted are that you lose 25-40% of your riders whenever you force a transfer. Most of these people are already transferring from cars or a bus to a train, so this would be a second transfer. And they may need another transfer once they get there. The lines need to go directly to enough destinations to be justified. That's why I dislike the Cobb and Gwinnet light rail proposals. I believe that creates a "dis-connected" disfuntional system, not a connected system. Expansion of MARTA trains rather than a new light rail system makes more sense in high capacity corridors. I don't think the Turner Field extension makes sense, but to use it for an example, you could have a Kennesaw-Cumberland Mall-285-Perimeter Mall-Downtown-Turner Field line that serves 285 while still going to high employment destinations like Buckhead and downtown.

And the transfer problems don't even get into the inefficiency of requiring whole new repair and maintenance infrastructures for separate, dis-connected proposed light rail systems in Cobb, Gwinnet and several in Fulton & Dekalb.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The figures I've seen quoted are that you lose 25-40% of your riders whenever you force a transfer. Most of these people are already transferring from cars or a bus to a train, so this would be a second transfer. And they may need another transfer once they get there. The lines need to go directly to enough destinations to be justified. That's why I dislike the Cobb and Gwinnet light rail proposals. I believe that creates a "dis-connected" disfuntional system, not a connected system. Expansion of MARTA trains rather than a new light rail system makes more sense in high capacity corridors. I don't think the Turner Field extension makes sense, but to use it for an example, you could have a Kennesaw-Cumberland Mall-285-Perimeter Mall-Downtown-Turner Field line that serves 285 while still going to high employment destinations like Buckhead and downtown.

And the transfer problems don't even get into the inefficiency of requiring whole new repair and maintenance infrastructures for separate, dis-connected proposed light rail systems in Cobb, Gwinnet and several in Fulton & Dekalb.
Agreed, I'd be much less likely to ride if I have to transfer.....

Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:

I agree with you about the deterrent effect of transfers. If it's as simple as walking from one train platform to another it's not a big deal, but if the transfer becomes much more complicated and/or time-consuming than that a lot of folks will pass.

Still, you've got to somehow address the needs of folks in the north metro area.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:52 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,154,955 times
Quote:

I agree with this in theory. The catch, however, is that to truly minimize rail transfers, all the proposed rail lines would have to be heavy rail. I don't think rail-rail transfers should be too bad as long as they schedule them properly, which is more doable under a consolidated, regional system.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:01 PM

357 posts, read 783,352 times
it'd be nice if there was a stop at turner field

Old 07-06-2011, 06:04 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
it'd be nice if there was a stop at turner field
That is a current proposal

Old 07-06-2011, 06:14 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I agree with this in theory. The catch, however, is that to truly minimize rail transfers, all the proposed rail lines would have to be heavy rail. I don't think rail-rail transfers should be too bad as long as they schedule them properly, which is more doable under a consolidated, regional system.

No, only extensions on current lines would need to be heavy rail.

All other new lines can be light rail, because people would have to change lines at stations/transfer stations anyway. For right-of-way light rail in Atlanta, I prefer the light metro/medium-capacity system version (#1). For surface streets (ie Peachtree and Downtown streetcars), I prefer the streetcar/tram/trolley version of light rail (#2).

1. Medium-capacity rail transport system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Tram and light-rail transit systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For example, the Belt Line can be light rail (tram or light metro)...it will cross the heavy rail blue and green lines at the new Cabbagetown Station (as well as other stations).

A light rail line (light metro!) from Gwinnett, through Tucker, Northlake, Leafmore, Emory, and Cheshire Bridge would cross the gold and red lines at the new Armour Valley Station (as well as other stations). This light rail line would then continue on to/through Brookwood, Atlantic Station, Hemphill Circle, West Midtown, on down to Grand Five Points.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:27 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
I say expand the MARTA rail out to the outer suburbs of metro Atlanta.
Gold Line: Should be expanded to Buford. Extend the Gold Line to Clayton County to the South
Red Line: Extend it to Alpharetta/Roswell area in the northern part. To the South, extend it to Henry County. Also, the Red Line needs to be forked to extend it to Woodstock,GA to the northwest.
Blue Line: Extend to Gwinnett County to the east(Snellville) and Douglasville to the west
Green Line: Extend to Lawrenceville in the east, extend to Dallas,GA in the west, going through Powder Springs.

Furthermore, there should be concentric rings, like the planned beltway, going further out, connecting different lines within the same county.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
The catch, however, is that to truly minimize rail transfers, all the proposed rail lines would have to be heavy rail.
You can't interface light rail one of MARTA's heavy rail lines?

Not arguing, just asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta