Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 23,535 times

Advertisements

I've lived here for several years now and have always been curious to check out the Bankhead area, mainly from all the publicity it gets in various rap songs. So I drove down Bankhead Highway (now called Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy) this afternoon and went down a few of the side streets and through one neighborhood. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, but it would definitely make me a little nervous rolling through there at night. I didn't really see anything out of the ordinary, just a lot of abondoned and/or run-down buildings, as you would expect in a low-income area of town. No gangsters standing on the side of the street with AK-47s or anything like that. Anyway, just thought I'd share!

Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,469 times
I use to ride my bike from work in midtown to my apt in smyrna and I took bankhead and never felt in danger....and this was anywhere from midnight to 2am....I live in charlotte now and ask me if I would do the same on sugar crekk

Old 11-26-2010, 11:24 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
I am thinking that the Bankhead Courts apartments are in the process of or have been condemned by the Atlanta Housing Authority for demolition. In place of them should be a new mixed-income living community built similar to the East Lake Meadows community on Glenwood Rd/Ave.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:25 PM

562 posts, read 1,790,419 times
I have driven past there once and lets say its not the nicest place. Of course you are not going to see people standing in the street with guns, criminals are smarter than that. But I did see a lot of people just standing around and a lot women who were probably prostitutes. I used to live near Gary, Indiana and it didnt look that bad either- just a lot of boarded up shops/houses, but it is always in the top 10 for crime per capita.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:05 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Most people who speak about crime happening in the "Bankhead" area have never even been there so they don't know what they are talking about anyway.

Also, like PP said, Bankhead Courts have been torn down but even before that I never thought it was all that bad and it is funny that anyone would think there would be a bunch of gangs around with guns a-blazing on street corners.

I live off of Bankhead, just a couple blocks and have never been a crime victim. There is the potential for crime everywhere and it is JMHO but really I think crimes like theft and break-ins occur more in other neighborhoods than here in mine just for the simple fact that most of the people around here don't have as much nice stuff as in other parts of Atlanta. Also, there aren't as many people who live around here so I have never felt unsafe. Also, I'm just not afraid of people just because they live in a certain neighborhood or come from a certain background. Some of the best criminals and crooks live in mansions in expensive "safe" neighborhoods.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:38 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
Bankhead courts, hollywood courts and bowen homes are all gone so a lot of that criminal element left with em.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:58 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Most people who speak about crime happening in the "Bankhead" area have never even been there so they don't know what they are talking about anyway.

Also, like PP said, Bankhead Courts have been torn down but even before that I never thought it was all that bad and it is funny that anyone would think there would be a bunch of gangs around with guns a-blazing on street corners.

I live off of Bankhead, just a couple blocks and have never been a crime victim. There is the potential for crime everywhere and it is JMHO but really I think crimes like theft and break-ins occur more in other neighborhoods than here in mine just for the simple fact that most of the people around here don't have as much nice stuff as in other parts of Atlanta. Also, there aren't as many people who live around here so I have never felt unsafe. Also, I'm just not afraid of people just because they live in a certain neighborhood or come from a certain background. Some of the best criminals and crooks live in mansions in expensive "safe" neighborhoods.

Exactly what are they going to get from alot of those residents over there?.. That area is alot better than Carol city Liberty city and overtown in Miami..

Old 11-27-2010, 03:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Bankhead courts, hollywood courts and bowen homes are all gone so a lot of that criminal element left with em.
True. They don't sneak over the bridge into Cobb anymore and terrorize Mabelton. I think they all went to Clayton.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:49 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I am thinking that the Bankhead Courts apartments are in the process of or have been condemned by the Atlanta Housing Authority for demolition. In place of them should be a new mixed-income living community built similar to the East Lake Meadows community on Glenwood Rd/Ave.
The Bankhead Courts apartments are gone, and have been replaced with piles of gravel. Only the fences remain, and the roads and some small trees.

Not sure what's going in there, but I'm sure the removal of that apartment complex has been both good and bad for the area. I do feel for the good folks and families that lived there, and I hope they've found someplace else to live.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:51 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
True. They don't sneak over the bridge into Cobb anymore and terrorize Mabelton. I think they all went to Clayton.
Terrorize Mableton? The businesses along Veterans Memorial Highway, maybe, but it's mostly wholesale dealers and similar stores near the Fulton County border, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta