Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:27 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,415,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveydovey1 View Post
LOLOL Thank You SO much GEORGIA STAR...Ive really enjoyed these message boards...everyone has been extra helpful!!!!

Your thread left me laughing hysterically...nothing like a good hearty laugh before rushing off to work (yup the NY rate race thing )....I am so looking foward to the South..I think I am just a little scared becuase its something new and change is hard..............

P.S. thanks for the tip on Grady..a friend of mine told me the same thing
Your correct Lovey, tranfers are scary.
I have relocated my family 7 times in 20 years with my company.
West Virginia, Virginia 2 times, NJ 2 times, Chicago, now Atlanta.

Make sure you create your lists in regard to Utility checks, school checks, banking, insurance, and most of all if you purchase demand a "certified" home inspection for structure and termites. One thing the South has is critters. They can infest a home and if it is not treated quarterly by the homeowner you may find a surprise.

Also, make sure before you move from New York that you eat your fill of good NY slices. There is no such thing as good pizza's and hogies outside of the NY - Philly area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 01:41 PM

167 posts, read 770,507 times
I would suggest you look in the Paulding county areas. The housing is very inexpensive there because it's a newly developed suburb. You'll have to deal with a commute though. Gwinnett is no longer affordable. It used to be, but no longer.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:37 PM

620 posts, read 2,121,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveydovey1 View Post
thankx, nyxmike

I have been to the metro area, not to look at properties, but have visited to take the kids to the aquarium and to sight see...housing in downtown atlanta is lot pricier than Gwinnett.......I though that Fulton and Dekalb had more of the not so nice area's????? I went out with a realtor in gwinnett and walton counties and that's where I noticed the confederate flags on homes and vehicles..coming from NY that was like culture shock for me...but still didnt break my spirit becuase I still liked GA overall....Thanks for the feedback...
That is what they like to lead you to believe. Fulton and DeKalb Counties, yes have bad areas, but they also have plenty of good areas in good school districts as well. Don't fall for the hype of living in Gwinnett or Cobb County (they are just as crowded or getting to be just as crowded as Fulton and DeKalb anyways), especially if you don't think you will feel comfortable there. I would recommend you have a realtor show you Fulton and DeKalb - I know you can find what your looking for in a nice area.

And by the way, I think people take the flag offensively because of what you stated: the fact that racist groups use it. How is a person to know what the other person means by displaying the flag? Maybe they are doing it for "heritage" and maybe not. It isn't her fault for feeling uncomfortable when there is a stigma attached to the confederate flag. Most people associate it with racism because it is used by racist groups, plus it is usually negatively portrayed by the media. That is just how it is and how most people feel about it. Besides, we are all Americans now, and we should be flying American flags (especially right now).

Let me be clear, I am NOT saying I don't understand the whole "heritage" thing and that you shouldn't be proud of being Southern, I just think it's time to move on.

Last edited by nyxmike; 06-27-2007 at 03:49 PM..

Old 06-27-2007, 03:58 PM

85 posts, read 406,312 times
You mentioned "diversity'. I assume you mean Hungarians, Chinese, Asian Indians, Ukranians, Samoans, Germans, French, Nepalese, Hispanics, Polish, Serbians, Russians and whatever other ethnic groups make up "diversity' to your satisfaction.
If you mean you want to live around Blacks, yes, there are those too.
Actually, to the South in Atlanta proper you will find all the "diversity', you can ever want.
Is this post, sarcastic? You betcha....Nothing riles me more than those
who tell us they are looking for diversity when they really mean", will Blacks' be accepted.
NYorkers especially still live in the Pre-civil rights era. Include New Jersey as well.
If you move anywhere with a pre-mindset expecting the worst, you will find it.
Stay in Brooklyn in that case. You won't find happiness here in Georgia.
On the other hand keep an open mind.

Last edited by Georgia; 06-27-2007 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Moderator Cut

Old 06-28-2007, 05:45 AM

27 posts, read 97,907 times
Hi Everyone...I just thought of one more question..maybe you can help me out on this..yesterday in NY there was a horrible rainstorm and trees were uprooted everywhere,. some even fell on privately owned propertiess...there was a lot of damage

when looking in the Atlanta area I noticed that many properties come with full daylight basements or no basements at all..I guess it has a lot to do with land and topography, etc...but my question is..if most homes dont have below ground basements then what is common place for storm shelter, etc...How are heavy storms managed?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,195 times
Default Relocate!

Hey Loveydovey1: Can see your concern, but the folk out here are simply warm and loving. Racism is a perception. Of course there are some haters out there but sometimes we feel we are being discriminated against because of old baggage we carry. Georgia is a wonderful place to live. You have perfect weather, not too hot, not too cold, see all four seasons, winter is not bitter cold. Coming from NY you should happy as can be. The confederate flag is part of the culture. Georgia is after all one the 13 colonies. God Bless the South!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:59 PM

606 posts, read 2,007,782 times
Candie, you really think Georgia has perfect weather ? If so, you are sadly mistaken. The only place in the U.S. that probably has perfect weather is the west coast, like San Diego. Atlanta has many, many days in the summer when its 90 or hotter, and many, many days in the winter when its below 30 in the morning. There are usually a few days each winter when the wind chill is around 0 or below. We also get quite a few tornadoes.

Last edited by matt8325; 08-04-2008 at 03:10 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 05:24 PM

193 posts, read 693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duff30329 View Post
You mentioned "diversity'. I assume you mean Hungarians, Chinese, Asian Indians, Ukranians, Samoans, Germans, French, Nepalese, Hispanics, Polish, Serbians, Russians and whatever other ethnic groups make up "diversity' to your satisfaction.
If you mean you want to live around Blacks, yes, there are those too.
Actually, to the South in Atlanta proper you will find all the "diversity', you can ever want.
Is this post, sarcastic? You betcha....Nothing riles me more than those
who tell us they are looking for diversity when they really mean", will Blacks' be accepted.
NYorkers especially still live in the Pre-civil rights era. Include New Jersey as well.
If you move anywhere with a pre-mindset expecting the worst, you will find it.
Stay in Brooklyn in that case. You won't find happiness here in Georgia.
On the other hand keep an open mind.
Well said Duff

Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,128,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Candie, you really think Georgia has perfect weather ? If so, you are sadly mistaken. The only place in the U.S. that probably has perfect weather is the west coast, like San Diego.
San Diego is boring weatherwise. Atlanta has seasons, which I value highly, but the winter season is mild and the spring and fall are beautiful.

Cobb County gets almost exactly the same number of tornados as Hennepin County MN did bak then I lived there. The chances of hearing about one are fairly good, but actually seeing one? Very low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta