Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueswd View Post
Well, consider the source. There very well could be teenagers and who knows what positing in here. I suspect a few "star" posters have rarely even been outside the state. DC was seen in a bad light years ago, not anymore. Atlanta is seen as mixed at best.

I personally think the area here is on the edge. One step back and the whole thing unravels. One step forward and it keeps getting better. Which way we swing will become apparent over the coming years.
I am from Atlanta, but I definitely agree - the area is on the edge, and it could go either way. If things don't change, im fearful the whole metro could be heading towards more of a Memphis or New Orleans. As some have said, I would view the changes Atlanta has seen since 2000 as mostly negative, in terms of reputation (especially among the "educated workforce"-types) and the kinds of people moving here. The 2000s was not a good decade for the city. But things do change. Atlanta was the star of the 1990s. Now things are different, and the question is will the area adapt in order to keep its appeal.

I am hopeful that it will, and there are good signs. Many people have committed themselves to changing the city core. Once that happens, I think people will start to view the whole metro differently. This does need happen quickly, though. In this new era, as the city of Atlanta goes, so goes the metro. The key to success will be leadership changes and if they happen in the coming years.

Last edited by BringBackCobain; 07-20-2010 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ueswd View Post
By the way I believe a new article would better reflect reality if the title were "Educated workforce of Smyrna, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, or Duluth." Educated people have very little to want or need from Atlanta- you can't even send your kid to a single school in the city without feeling like an idiot compared to your rich or suburban friends. Educated people take note of such factors, even though many of you don't.

Wrong.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 PM

143 posts, read 346,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I am from Atlanta, but I definitely agree - the area is on the edge, and it could go either way. If things don't change, im fearful the whole metro could be heading towards more of a Memphis or New Orleans. As some have said, I would view the changes Atlanta has seen since 2000 as mostly negative, in terms of reputation (especially among the "educated workforce"-types) and the kinds of people moving here. The 2000s was not a good decade for the city. But things do change. Atlanta was the star of the 1990s. Now things are different, and the question is will the area adapt in order to keep its appeal.

I am hopeful that it will, and there are good signs. Many people have committed themselves to changing the city core. Once that happens, I think people will start to view the whole metro differently. This does need happen quickly, though. In this new era, as the city of Atlanta goes, so goes the metro. The key to success will be leadership changes and if they happen in the coming years.
The general consensus just doesn't seem to bear out that the 2000s were a bad decade for Atlanta. After some quick Googling, the overwhelming majority of articles from respected news outlets or thought centers seem to praise Atlanta's growth and urban revitalization up until around the time of the recession. I know that 2008 is a year that looms large in almost everyone's memories and it's difficult to think back to what was happening before the nation's financial system collapsed, but things were good in the not-so-distant past. The 2000s were hardly a decade rife with failures in Atlanta, by most measures.

Things have been tough recently, just as they've been tough everywhere in the country, and increased crime is a predictable outcome of economic hardship and unemployment. Still, I'll be loath to believe the Chicken Littles of the world until I feel a chunk of the sky actually hit me in the head.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:32 PM

468 posts, read 790,526 times
I dont feel that Atlanta is headed to be a memphis I think it has a really bright future ahead of itself when this recession is over..

Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Stop posting exaggerated praise and maybe I'll disappear, until then there has to be someone who calls out all the propaganda.

That article was outdated and misleading. It used data from before the Olympics. So why post untruths? When I lived in Atlanta in 2007 many of my co-workers wanted out so badly, so I know that not every college graduate in America in 2010 is busting ass down to Atlanta for jobs like that article made it seem?

I posted something from the boston globe that was updated.. and its showed that fulton and middlesex county were close in how educated the 2 counties are... I have a college degree and I dont want out of Atlanta .. Just because you didnt like Atlanta doesnt mean others wont. Ask those who are in Atlanta that left DC..There are lots of kids here that stay here in Atlanta after they graduate.. Im pretty sure The Atlanta region is fine without your presence. You still love the place thats why you keep showing up everytime people mention Atlanta..

Old 07-20-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
I think the issue is there are a lot of shared forums in between DC and Atlanta. This of course makes sense because many people share business, educational, or family ties between the two metropolitan areas. Some people are on the site to share information concerning job relocations, higher education, and vacations. However, this is a public forum so there should be no surprise that when baseless information is presented as "fact", those posters using this a platform to vent personal frustrations are going to get called on it.

Thats true man, Isnt it really annoying though.. I found this article interesting, .. So me posting this was just to show everyone that There are lots and lots of educated people here in Atlanta.. Thats all.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:32 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Thats true man, Isnt it really annoying though.. I found this article interesting, .. So me posting this was just to show everyone that There are lots and lots of educated people here in Atlanta.. Thats all.
I don't understand why the site administrators can't do something about people like back2dc. The forum's goal is to be helpful, and this member is certainly counterproductive to that goal.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't understand why the site administrators can't do something about people like back2dc. The forum's goal is to be helpful, and this member is certainly counterproductive to that goal.
That's the point. Lots of people come to the Atlanta forum looking for help.. All u see is negativity from outsiders.. I posted this to show the there are lots of educated people in Atlanta. That shows that lots of young professionals and some older do desire to live here.. Look at all the college institutions here.. A great deal oF those students stay here in Atlanta after they graduate..

Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Stop posting exaggerated praise and maybe I'll disappear, until then there has to be someone who calls out all the propaganda.

That article was outdated and misleading. It used data from before the Olympics. So why post untruths? When I lived in Atlanta in 2007 many of my co-workers wanted out so badly, so I know that not every college graduate in America in 2010 is busting ass down to Atlanta for jobs like that article made it seem?
Why post untruth statements about DC?

D.C. HIV/AIDS Rate Higher Than West Africa : NPR

DC Rated Number 1 in U.S. for STDs (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/health/dc-rated-number-1-for-stds-111809 - broken link)

Study Finds One-Third in D.C. Illiterate

Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 AM

47 posts, read 110,446 times
Nice artical. Thanks for posting! Its nice to read this - being a NYer who is going to move to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta