Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:10 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
And I am tired of the "I don't use it, so I don't care about it" attitude. I don't use the public schools in my neighborhood (I do not have children). Do I care whether or not they are functioning and good schools? Of course I do because I care about having well-educated future citizens to better this country. Have I ever visited state parks outside of Atlanta? No, but I am glad to support them because their existence makes a better environment and lifestyle for all citizens of Georgia and also help to increase tourism and also improve the image of Georgia among visitors.
Also, on a more selfish note land value depends on the quality of the schools so it benefits the individual anyway regardless of whether they have children or not.

Quote:
When gas returns north of $3.00 a gallon or even higher if cap and trade legislation passes, or when the urban areas finally realize they can gain a ton of revenue for charging more than $1.00 per hour in parking, then there will be changes in people's attitude toward the issue.
Car tolls are how you get your city to get on the subways in Simcity and make money as well. Same concept. Muwahah.

Suburban style development does not work for a central city. Suburbs depend on an urban area as a core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 05:08 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,301 times
Looks like the line would indeed run up 41 and not the CSX rail line. Oh well, as long as they can get it in and not have right-of-way issues with 41's traffic, I'm all for light rail in Cobb!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:54 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,285 times
Quote:
And I am tired of the "I don't use it, so I don't care about it" attitude. I don't use the public schools in my neighborhood (I do not have children). Do I care whether or not they are functioning and good schools? Of course I do because I care about having well-educated future citizens to better this country. Have I ever visited state parks outside of Atlanta? No, but I am glad to support them because their existence makes a better environment and lifestyle for all citizens of Georgia and also help to increase tourism and also improve the image of Georgia among visitors.

There is a community benefit that goes along with things you don't use personally that people are too quick to discount.
Great post and mentality! That's the way it should be. People are too selfish and are usually against things that later on benefit them or their families. Most are just shortsighted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Looks like the line would indeed run up 41 and not the CSX rail line. Oh well, as long as they can get it in and not have right-of-way issues with 41's traffic, I'm all for light rail in Cobb!
I wish they could implement light rail in all major Metro Atlanta counties. I think that would alleviate the issue tremendously.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:33 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
I used to live in Cobb County and commuted downtown every day. The traffic jams were a pain. I would have loved a Marta rail line out to Cobb. I'd prefer to drive to a rail line parking deck and take Marta. It would have made getting to evening downtown events easier too. Hate the bother of driving downtown and having to find a place to park.

Heavy rail is better for express type trips than light rail but I'll settle for light rail. A good route would go by Cumberland Mall and pass close to the Cobb Energy Center, and past Southern Poly and up to Kennesaw State.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
On further reflection, I have to oppose the idea. At $2 billion for 14 miles, that is about $150 million per mile. And that is an estimate, as usual it will probably be higher. The worst of it is that it only moves people between Town Center and Cumberland. This is not a corridor crying for light rail. The only justification I can find is if the rail connects with Marta RAIL and not rely on Marta or CCT buses to connect to Atlanta. It would make more sense to run the rail from Cumberland to say Arts Center. It's a shorter and more useful route. An expensive rail service between Cumberland and Town Center is not needed. Cobb and or Georgia would have to put up funds along with federal funds and I don't think there is enough local money.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:50 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,535 times
Default Forward Thinking

Quote:
The original (1960s) plan of MARTA did not have Cobb County connecting with the projects. It sent a line up Northside Drive through Vinings and into Marietta. Unless these were projects back in the 1960s, then I don't see what the big deal is/was in that respect. I think it is very obvious that it wasn't the money that drove people to reject the MARTA line. Until the state decides to make an investment in regional transit, metro Atlanta will never get decent, well-functioning, unified public transit. Coming from the Northeast and even living in Colorado for 3 years and seeing what plans they finally pushed through for mass transit, Georgia's efforts are simply pathetic.

Very well said. Isn't the definition of planning "thinking ahead"? I don't see how Cobb County would have been bankrupted with the federal subsidies available for mass transit back in the 1960s/70s. It certainly would have been cheaper to run heavy rail up the right of way of US 41 back in the 60s when it wasn't completely developed than it would be now. Even light rail is now a difficult proposition. For jurisdictions with the population size and geographic area of Cobb and Gwinnett Counties to not be integrated into a comprehensive metropolitan mass transit network featuring fixed rail is downright irresponsible.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
The state-owned CSX rail line would be heavy commuter rail with few local stops (Atlanta Rd, Cumberland, Smyrna, Marietta). Different purpose than light rail, which is local as a trunkline for busses and shuttles, along with support for higher density development and easier pedestrian access without driving everywhere. Long term, they'll probably both happen. There used to be commuter rail on that line way back from what I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
It certainly would have been cheaper to run heavy rail up the right of way of US 41 back in the 60s when it wasn't completely developed than it would be now.
Perhaps, but there isn't much stopping a heavy rail line from Lindbergh via Brookwood station, between Marietta Blvd and Perry Blvd in Atlanta terminating at Atlanta Rd where Cobb County would pick up with light rail down Cumberland Pkwy and/or commuter rail through Vinings (requiring an additional track).

Old 06-27-2010, 09:18 AM

969 posts, read 1,958,904 times
The average price per mile for heavy rail today is $150 million, so at that price you might as well extend MARTA into Cobb County. The problem is Cobb and the 75 corridor is so developed now, what would be the best route? Although in the 60's/70's when Cobb was a lot less populated, it made sense to build a rail line because it was cheaper and development could have occurred around it. Now that they waited so long, it's a lot more expensive and a lot harder to implement.

At least MARTA can more easily be extended to Roswell and Alpharetta, and up to Norcross, Duluth, Suwanee, and Buford/Mall of GA in Gwinnett. A light rail line definitely makes sense along 285 from Cumberland to Doraville.

If Cobb pairs the light rail line with heavy rail into Downtown Atlanta, then I think it would be a good plan. The light rail can serve local stops within Cobb and if the 285 light rail happens, the Perimeter as well. The heavy rail can serve commuters from Cobb to Midtown/Downtown Atlanta.

People need to realize no solution is easy or cheap, and we are going to have to spend a lot of money, whether it's on roads or transit. This is an investment to maintain our quality of life and keep our area an attractive place for businesses.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
The state-owned CSX rail line would be heavy commuter rail with few local stops (Atlanta Rd, Cumberland, Smyrna, Marietta). Different purpose than light rail, which is local as a trunkline for busses and shuttles, along with support for higher density development and easier pedestrian access without driving everywhere. Long term, they'll probably both happen. There used to be commuter rail on that line way back from what I've heard.
I mean heavy rail parallel to the CSX line, not actually on it. Kind of like the Doraville MARTA line next to the freight rail line. They may have to get some additional right-of-way, or build an elevated track for short distances like on the south MARTA line.

Otherwise, I'm just concerned that if light rail shares right-of-way with 41 traffic, it's going to slow down the trains to the point that they're just trams. Phoenix, Dallas, etc. light rail, by contrast, typically have their own right-of-way off the roads other than at-grade crossings.

However, speaking of Phoenix, they seem to have it in place where the trains are right up against the traffic lanes but still have their own right-of-way. Perhaps that might be doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
The average price per mile for heavy rail today is $150 million, so at that price you might as well extend MARTA into Cobb County. The problem is Cobb and the 75 corridor is so developed now, what would be the best route? Although in the 60's/70's when Cobb was a lot less populated, it made sense to build a rail line because it was cheaper and development could have occurred around it. Now that they waited so long, it's a lot more expensive and a lot harder to implement.

At least MARTA can more easily be extended to Roswell and Alpharetta, and up to Norcross, Duluth, Suwanee, and Buford/Mall of GA in Gwinnett. A light rail line definitely makes sense along 285 from Cumberland to Doraville.

If Cobb pairs the light rail line with heavy rail into Downtown Atlanta, then I think it would be a good plan. The light rail can serve local stops within Cobb and if the 285 light rail happens, the Perimeter as well. The heavy rail can serve commuters from Cobb to Midtown/Downtown Atlanta.

People need to realize no solution is easy or cheap, and we are going to have to spend a lot of money, whether it's on roads or transit. This is an investment to maintain our quality of life and keep our area an attractive place for businesses.
Well-said.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:10 PM

88 posts, read 183,502 times
Cobb County will not see any type of rail heavy or light for at least 15 years, minimum. First Marta has to come to county line. No plans or funding in place. 2ndly, a park/ride lot in vicinity of rail has to be built & USED. 3rdly,.. Cobb has to become agressive in planning (real town/community centers) along future routes. Anyone seen any greenspace, site design guidelines, boundary drawings, planned development using denser building characteristics w/ living/work/shopping all included along 41? I've seen NO sign of progress in that direction whatsoever!!
Gwinnett will recieve fed funding- their line will connect to Doraville Marta. They have their plan in place. Look up the Gwinnett Village CID,.. transportation link. Its brilliant- hits almost every population area!
Feds won't be giving up 2 billion to run a line up an outdated roadway, past an air field, car sales lots & big chicken!
Get real, folks!
The leaders are the doers!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta