Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 PM

17 posts, read 60,722 times

Advertisements

Hello all - I'm hoping you can help me find a new neighborhood here in town. If you've read any of my previous posts, you'll know that I have a sensitivity to crime, even though I've lived in big cities for years. I am becoming extremely frustrated because most, if not all, of the interesting intown neighborhoods have crime reports a mile long ... on a weekly basis. So now I'm wondering if I can find a safe neighborhood in the suburbs somewhere where I don't need to worry about whether or not my family or pets are still alive. I know it sounds like I'm being sarcastic but I swear to you I'm not.

1. Budget = $1500
2. House/Condo/Townhome? = Condo/Townhouse
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) = Commute to Midtown
4. Children(public school vs. private) = None
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two = Prefer Urban but will take Suburban if that means more safety
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not ? No.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Not sure what this means. I don't think I'm requiring much after everything I've come to learn - I'd like safe and 30 minute commute to midtown. You give me those and I think I'll be good.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:38 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
The area north of Decatur/Emory might work. Toco Hill/Executive Park/N. Druid Hills/Briarcliff Rd.

Urban/suburban, safe, centrally located--easy access to I85, within 30 min of midtown, a variety of housing options in your price range. Many renovated 50's/60's ranch homes--young professionals and others.

The City of Decatur is very safe, walkable, shops and restaurants and numerous cultural events.
http://www.decaturga.com/

Old 06-10-2010, 07:01 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
How about Buckhead? That will get you to Midtown in 10 minutes or so. Very safe, great schools, zillions of condos and townhouses, access to transit, diverse demographics.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 AM

17 posts, read 60,722 times
Searching in both Decatur and Buckhead (South) at the moment. Both seem to have their issues but as you've both pointed, both seem to have some real positives.

Thanks for your input - it is very much appreciated.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:49 AM

75 posts, read 204,542 times
How about Midtown itself? It is perfectly safe, and the glut of new construction condos on the market means that you ought to be able to get a nice rental indeed for $1,500 / mo.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:48 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Smyrna/Vinings has everything you're looking for and you can find a condo in that budget, and possibly even a townhome. Check Spring Rd in Smyrna for an area that's one of the more affordable parts of Smyrna/Vinings but also very nice. It's also within walking distance of Cumberland. Also look at Cumberland Parkway in Vinings.

Also, if it's still available, there's a sell-off going of condos in a condo community right in the center of Vinings because of over-development of condos in Vinings and Buckhead. I don't expect that to last for long.

All the areas mentioned are within 30 min of midtown.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:39 AM

388 posts, read 1,125,535 times
Another vote for Decatur.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Check out the neighborhood of Kirkwood. Eastside of Atlanta, proximity to MARTA, 2 stations, good schools, safe neighborhood, 5 parks within an area of 2 square miles, ease of access to I-20, DeKalb Ave. Several restaurants in the business district. Lots of condos or homes within the price range. Very walkable community. Edgewood Retail District; Lowes, Kroger, and Target, located 1 mile west. Nice neighbors who look out for each other.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:30 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,984,814 times
If crime is such a concern, Buckhead or Decatur. But if you live in the condo portion of Midtown (west of Piedmont), it's actually not really unsafe; walking around east of Piedmont late at night is the source of most robberies.

The surest way to be a victim of crime is to leave a valuable in plain sight in your car. And that goes for any neighborhood.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,750 times
Another vote for Smyrna/Vinings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta