Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:30 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,521,896 times

Advertisements

My honest opinion is that most worldviews, morals, ethics, etc... are actually formed free of religion. It is religion (the organized kind, especially) that has had to conform itself to the changing status quo in society rather than the other way around. A hundred fifty years ago, many churches in America used religious support for societal incantations to suggest that slavery was OK. Sixty years ago, churches tried to use their influence against a society that was shifting its views towards blacks and whites inter-marrying. Now, not a peep is heard. In today's society, there are great divides amongst some churches over the idea of gay marriage, gay clergy (and the acceptability of it), etc... I imagine in forty or fifty years, most will look back on it and think about how ridiculous it was of the churches to be so ardently against homosexuality.

While the changing status quo of society should not be labeled "atheistic" in nature due to the cultural intermingling of everyone within the society constituting a makeup of different beliefs, I think it would be somewhat fair to assume that these changes occur due to more secular reasons often fashioned by pop culture, different rises in technology (the internet, et al.); and even certain books which can be read by large groups of people. Prior to The Da Vinci Code how often did you ever hear anyone say that Christmas was a Pagan holiday?

What we see from the church and much of the religious community are those members of the society who do not wish to conform to the changing status quo and that is often where the divide is drawn and what I suspect most people have in mind when they think of the outlined moral views postulated in the original post.

The very nature of religion seems to be centered around the conformity of the more conservative viewpoint because what is already acceptable within society reflects greatly on what most people feel their God is also 'OK' with. Thus, while society may make transitions that are very awkward for the churches to make a vast jump to, eventually, when they are hurting for cash enough, they will make the jump.

Anyway, I think that religion just tries to solidify and reinforce more "conservative" and certainly less "progressive" societal ideas. It's funny, though. Even the most conservative of churches today would be seen as 'Satanic' in light of the more Puritanical churches of 1600 New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism