Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:25 PM

225 posts, read 342,407 times

Advertisements

I think pretty much all atheists are well aware that much of the world does not think highly of us. According to the Gallup polls over the years, the willingness of the American people to vote for a qualified presidential candidate who happens to be an atheist are startlingly low.

Gallup Polls & Other Surveys on American Attitudes Towards Atheists - Over 40 Years of Research Show Atheists Are Despised, Distrusted

Americans overall think atheists are dangerous and should not be trusted. Many of these same Americans see no problem with violating the civil rights of atheists. Some like former president George Bush Sr. reportedly think that atheists are not capable of patriotism and are undeserving of citizenship.

George H. W. Bush: "Atheists Neither Citizens Nor Patriots

So-called weak activism, accommodationist activism, does not seem to be working. I increasingly have my doubts when I see individuals and groups violate the rights of atheists with impunity and get the support or at least a pass from state and federal government. Obviously, many government officials are so steeped in their own religious teachings that they cannot see beyond them to do their secular duty by atheists. If it is true that atheists will never get the respect they deserve using conventional channels, how do we get a seat at the table, so to speak?

Keeping the faithful's concentration on the differences between their religions is a good start. Many religious people seem happy to identify with people of other faiths before they will even accept the existence of atheism. When religious groups criticize other faiths, atheists should be there to make sure the attacking faith's own hypocrisy is noted. Taking the side of the 'lesser of two evils' is unacceptable. I say, the more friction between the religions, the better. I hate to see bloodshed over it, but if it is going to happen anyway (and who doubts it will?), the voice of reason should benefit.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,924,116 times
No, I think deliberately trying to cause them to fight amongst themselves would be stooping to their level.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:59 PM

33,563 posts, read 37,165,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
No, I think deliberately trying to cause them to fight amongst themselves would be stooping to their level.
Judging from this forum, they hardly need our help...

Old 01-04-2009, 08:02 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,197,070 times
Yeah I'm with SuSuSushi.. I don't see any benefit in causing trouble.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:36 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,870,758 times
I suspect they are quite capable of doing this all on their own. Amazingly, they all claim to have the very same imaginary friend, and they squabble over which one of themselves this imaginary friend loves the most, and, they wonder why so many of us non-believer types consider their religious attempts to be lunacy.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:31 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Judging from this forum, they hardly need our help...
True that

Old 01-05-2009, 10:03 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,690,093 times
OP - I probably would go the opposite way and encourage true dialog among religions. The extreme elements in many religions seem to be at each other's throats, and promoting some understanding may increase tolerance and reduce unnecessary hatred and bloodshed.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,561,618 times
I think that we should just ignore them. It drives them crazy.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:04 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,964,882 times
In a word.... no.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM

17,816 posts, read 13,719,426 times
Religionists due a pretty good job of stirring up trouble amongst themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism