Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 AM

13,137 posts, read 22,904,342 times

Advertisements

I don't.

I think it's the hard way to go through life and something a person should arrive to on their own after huge amounts of study, thought and soul-searching.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 11:54 AM

9,426 posts, read 13,113,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't.

I think it's the hard way to go through life and something a person should arrive to on their own after huge amounts of study, thought and soul-searching.

What about you?
Nope, because unless you're using religion to directly harm me (or greater society in a tangible way) it's none of my business.

I don't think being an atheist is "hard." I don't "preach the anti-gospel" to other people for the same reasons I don't want someone preaching the "actual gospel" to me.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,402,946 times
Nope. I'm supportive of those who have recently come out, but I neither encourage nor discourage those who are on the fence or who are still believers. I can't stand it when people tell me what I should or should not believe and have no desire to do it to others.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,051,376 times
Nope. I will support others in their questioning if they happen to ask about it, but I don't see any need to encourage those who believe strongly to change.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM

794 posts, read 1,414,205 times
Absolutely.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 PM

20,292 posts, read 13,689,632 times
It has never occurred to me to encourage anyone to be an atheist. It's a place I arrived at as part of a very personal process over many years, and I have no idea how that would apply to anyone else. I was invited to a concert last night by a couple we just met who turned out to attend the local Methodist church, so they are almost surely theists. They have been married to each other and lived in the same house for 40 years. They seem to be happy, affable, good people. Whatever they are doing is working for them. I have no desire to mess up their stable state or make them uncomfortable. If theism is problematic for them in some way, they will figure it out for themselves. If they ask me about my beliefs or my personal story, I'll respond to them, but not until they ask, and even then, it will just be providing requested data which they can do with what they will.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:42 PM

9,426 posts, read 13,113,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It has never occurred to me to encourage anyone to be an atheist. It's a place I arrived at as part of a very personal process over many years, and I have no idea how that would apply to anyone else. I was invited to a concert last night by a couple we just met who turned out to attend the local Methodist church, so they are almost surely theists. They have been married to each other and lived in the same house for 40 years. They seem to be happy, affable, good people. Whatever they are doing is working for them. I have no desire to mess up their stable state or make them uncomfortable. If theism is problematic for them in some way, they will figure it out for themselves. If they ask me about my beliefs or my personal story, I'll respond to them, but not until they ask, and even then, it will just be providing requested data which they can do with what they will.
I somehow doubt you would "mess up their stable state," unless in between going to church they live under a rock where the idea of life without a higher power is both an exotic and dangerous concept. Making them uncomfortable or simply coming across as rude is infinitely more likely.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:44 PM

344 posts, read 397,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't.

What about you?
I once wrote about my atheism in my blog. I imply that it is a positive thing to get out from under the weight of religious indoctrination. I also imply that to do so requires critical thinking, which I figure is a positive trait and not a negative one. So I guess I'm sort of pushing along the notion of atheism. I will politely speak the same sentiments to any theist who happens to ask me about my religious beliefs. But I never aggressively push atheism or my atheistic views on anyone. Either the person voluntarily reads what I have written about atheism, or the other person initiates the conversation concerning religion.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM

20,292 posts, read 13,689,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I somehow doubt you would "mess up their stable state," unless in between going to church they live under a rock where the idea of life without a higher power is both an exotic and dangerous concept. Making them uncomfortable or simply coming across as rude is infinitely more likely.
I've had a lot of experience with theists who live under rocks when not going to church ;-)

For many, theism is a shorthand worldview that absolves them of the need to actually look at reality or think about it. They have many slippery-slope concerns about ideas that differ from theirs; such ideas are dangerous or crazy by definition.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 PM

2,251 posts, read 6,978,112 times
No because then I'd be no better than those on the religious side that do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism