Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 03:48 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is particularly applicable to many here in the R&S fora. Those who do have a handle on the basic science stuff know just enough to make them dangerous, as the saying goes. They do NOT have enough depth of understanding or knowledge of what is happening on the fringes of science to enable them to distinguish between genuine "woo" and what is just not yet validated science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 10:10 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Yes Ric Flair may have started and even popularized WOO!

But wait...Professional Wrestling is imitative, not original. Pro Wrestlers form their characters and lingo to reflect socio-cultural issues of the time.
Ric Flair started in 1972. In his Biography, he states that Jerry Lee Lewis sang a song called "Great Balls of Fire" that ended with WOO! and that is where and when he started using it.

So dating back to Jerry Lee Lewis, then Ric Flair in the 70s Ric Flair is the reason I knew the WOO

But like Pro Rasslin and other cults, the ideas were borrowed from other sources .
WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
So you're saying,
A wrestler quoting a song used woo, and since wrestling is fake, that must be the origin of woo meaning weirdly unlikely.

That sounds like woo to me.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:40 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Since I started this thread, I'm going to hop back in an say what I mean by woo -- a whole body of beliefs that seem weird and unlikely, yet could, possibly, in some cases be true.

I'll give you what I think is a perfect example.

A couple of years ago I went to a 3 hour lecture about numerology. I had not real opinion it before I went. I walked away thinking now that's woo. Why?

One lady thought her husband had developed cancer because it came on after they moved to their current house whose street number was unluck.

Another thought her dog died because of the number of sidewalk blocks in front of their house.

Stuff like that.

Now, does that mean there is nothing to numerology. Not saying that. But some people just run with something with no basis for what they see as reality.

Old 03-07-2022, 02:18 PM

It's supposed to be unlucky to take lava from Hawaii.
People who take it, then have bad luck, often mail it back. The Post Office collects TWO DUMPSTERS full every year, and the rocks are repatriated with a ceremony.

I got cancer shortly after moving to Hawaii. Must have been the unlucky lava.

Woo!

Old 03-07-2022, 05:12 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Since I started this thread, I'm going to hop back in an say what I mean by woo -- a whole body of beliefs that seem weird and unlikely, yet could, possibly, in some cases be true.

I'll give you what I think is a perfect example.

A couple of years ago I went to a 3 hour lecture about numerology. I had not real opinion it before I went. I walked away thinking now that's woo. Why?

One lady thought her husband had developed cancer because it came on after they moved to their current house whose street number was unluck.

Another thought her dog died because of the number of sidewalk blocks in front of their house.

Stuff like that.

Now, does that mean there is nothing to numerology. Not saying that. But some people just run with something with no basis for what they see as reality.
Numerology strikes me as something that invites confirmation bias by ascribing significance to certain numbers or patterns of numbers. Because of my past, I'm most acquainted with "Biblical" numerology and it's rife with those kinds of "insights". I have trouble seeing how there could be "anything" to it beyond maybe self-fulfilling prophecies.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:37 PM

640 posts, read 449,230 times
Woo who?

Old 03-07-2022, 09:36 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It's supposed to be unlucky to take lava from Hawaii.
People who take it, then have bad luck, often mail it back. The Post Office collects TWO DUMPSTERS full every year, and the rocks are repatriated with a ceremony.

I got cancer shortly after moving to Hawaii. Must have been the unlucky lava.

Woo!
"moving to Hawaii"
is not the same as "removing rocks from Hawaii"

surely you can tell the difference?

Old 03-08-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"moving to Hawaii"
is not the same as "removing rocks from Hawaii"

surely you can tell the difference?
surely you jest. This thread is about unsubstantiated claims based on poorly understood principles, plus outright idiocies.
Woo.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:02 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
So you're saying,
A wrestler quoting a song used woo, and since wrestling is fake, that must be the origin of woo meaning weirdly unlikely.

That sounds like woo to me.
Not so much fake as staged, predetermined, scripted....yeah pretty much fake

If WOO means a belief of a phenomenon in spite of unsubstantiated claims or evidence
And Wrestling is just a microcosm of American values and socio-cultural myths, then WOO fits right in.....something with an APPREARANCE but lacking in SUBSTANCE.....
And that is Ric Flair

Now consider that there are many people who dislike and do not even recognize wrestling. but many still know who Ric Flair is. And admitted, Pro Wrestling in the contemporary era has gone down the sewer, because it had no place to go, so to speak, except down....

But to see a term WOO used as an iconic catch-phrase by someone who has made what little money he has in a business that exists under a thin veil of charlatanism and have said term reflective of something unsubstantiated indicates that professional wrestling has perhaps far greater socio-cultural depth than had been previously hypothesized.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:30 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
surely you jest. This thread is about unsubstantiated claims based on poorly understood principles, plus outright idiocies..
that explains your post then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism