Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 06:54 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's not make it sound as if "woo" is commonly a scientific discovery waiting to happen.
why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 08:48 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
why?
It is not the commonly understood meaning.

There's a lot of churn right now around a particular sort of "woo" -- that UFOs are extraterrestrials visiting us -- because we have videos of fuzzy little chiclets on someone's radar screen and the government is going to Look Into It Officially and some noted scientist at Stanford (as usual, in entirely the wrong field) has a serious hobbyist interest in the topic, etc. While it is possible some part of this will turn out not to be wishful thinking and confirmation bias and conspiracy theories, that possibility is small enough that it's not worth discussing, and skeptics should know better than to hold out that possibility as a serious one.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:58 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
I'm sure a certain poster believes that those little fuzzy chiclets are all on the same path to god as Jerry Falwell.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:38 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Well, then, I sheepishly apologize for where my mind has gone .....I cannot hear "WOO" without connecting it to this reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0t6llGkBLo

SORRY ! But before you say "Oh no that is fake" Let's examine this Logically

Ric Flair, a Professional wrestler, involves himself in a business that is staged, predetermined, scripted. He ends every interview with his catch -phrase "WOO" The term WOO has thus become associated with Ric Flair and Professional wrestling. SO, it is safe to say that since professional rasslin is rigged, "WOO" is probably a statement for something fictional, rigged, staged, something that is to take the Illusion of being real or legit but behind the scenes, is just an act.
WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Old 03-06-2022, 10:08 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

SORRY ! But before you say "Oh no that is fake" Let's examine this Logically

Ric Flair, a Professional wrestler, involves himself in a business that is staged, predetermined, scripted. He ends every interview with his catch -phrase "WOO" The term WOO has thus become associated with Ric Flair and Professional wrestling. SO, it is safe to say that since professional rasslin is rigged, "WOO" is probably a statement for something fictional, rigged, staged, something that is to take the Illusion of being real or legit but behind the scenes, is just an act.
WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Are you saying that the term woo or woo woo started with Ric Flair?

According to a quick search on the omniscient google,

Woo-woo is first recorded in the 1980s, used to mock beliefs associated with the likes of New Age culture. The term may have originated as an imitation of the sound of the theremin in horror and sci-fi films and TV, or of the spooky noises associated with ghosts and the supernatural.

The term “Woo†is a noun which was coined and popularized in Brooklyn, New York by Pop Smoke when he released his 2019 mixtape “Meet the Wooâ€. Pop Smoke, Fivio Foreign, e.t.c are Woo

Old 03-06-2022, 10:27 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Yes Ric Flair may have started and even popularized WOO!

But wait...Professional Wrestling is imitative, not original. Pro Wrestlers form their characters and lingo to reflect socio-cultural issues of the time.
Ric Flair started in 1972. In his Biography, he states that Jerry Lee Lewis sang a song called "Great Balls of Fire" that ended with WOO! and that is where and when he started using it.

So dating back to Jerry Lee Lewis, then Ric Flair in the 70s Ric Flair is the reason I knew the WOO

But like Pro Rasslin and other cults, the ideas were borrowed from other sources .
WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2022, 12:30 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohilus View Post
So?

I often hear and read people making absurd claims that something is 'communist' or 'Marxist'. Just because they're wrong, that doesn't mean that communism/Marxism doesn't exist. Creationists attribute all sorts of incorrect attributes to evolution - but evolution is still a thing. I hear 'political correctness' bandied about by people who clearly don't understand what the hell it is. But it's still a thing.

Just because some people misuse a term, it neither means that what that term is intended to describe does not exist nor does it invalidate the term.
I don't see how this relates to my post.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:33 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It is not the commonly understood meaning.

There's a lot of churn right now around a particular sort of "woo" -- that UFOs are extraterrestrials visiting us -- because we have videos of fuzzy little chiclets on someone's radar screen and the government is going to Look Into It Officially and some noted scientist at Stanford (as usual, in entirely the wrong field) has a serious hobbyist interest in the topic, etc. While it is possible some part of this will turn out not to be wishful thinking and confirmation bias and conspiracy theories, that possibility is small enough that it's not worth discussing, and skeptics should know better than to hold out that possibility as a serious one.
Right. There are so many types or categories of phenomena, that the term "woo" is applied to, that it's difficult to discuss.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:51 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
Despite some others' approval of this claim, I still don't follow. Can you provide an example?
I think he's saying that something we think of as woo today may actually turn out to be true. Imagine a medieval alchemist muttering "Earth a globe, not flat? What a load of woo!"

Old 03-06-2022, 07:01 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know about this definition. I don't think it does work at all, as a guideline. I've been dismayed at how poorly the general public (as evidenced on a variety of Internet forums, including C-D, occasionally) is able to distinguish between "woo" and real science. A lot of people have no clue. In some instances, they seem to have knee-jerk reactions to certain terms, as if anyone using a science term is using it in a pseudo-scientific way, as your quote defines it.

There's tremendous ignorance out there, about basic scientific and medical concepts. Try to explain certain things, and people accuse you of peddling "woo". It's kind of pathetic and concerning. There needs to be a lot more science education in the schools, IMO, and it wouldn't have to involve lab work, in order for it to bring people up to speed.

What "woo" is, is all to often in the eyes and misguided imagination of the beholder. However, I do think that certain other types of "woo" are scientific discoveries waiting to happen.
This is particularly applicable to many here in the R&S fora. Those who do have a handle on the basic science stuff know just enough to make them dangerous, as the saying goes. They do NOT have enough depth of understanding or knowledge of what is happening on the fringes of science to enable them to distinguish between genuine "woo" and what is just not yet validated science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism