Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 07:37 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You need to 1) stop taking posts out of context, and 2) get a dictionary.

And? Phet did not say he agreed with it, just that many people do have this view.
I'm glad you mentioned this, particularly the last part.

On the one hand, no I don't believe that there are spirits who live in the trees, soils, and other plants that would live on a plot of land where someone would build a house or other building.

On the other hand, I think it's a cultural tradition that I think is rather charming, is very interesting, and somewhat defines the Thai connection to animism.

And I would like to point out that the other poster among the unholy alliance that likes to attack almost anything I post probably doesn't believe in the concept of spirit houses, either. Or if she does, she's very welcome to show us the spirit house she has erected outside her house. And as far as American society's attitude toward spirit houses in the Thai tradition...the ONLY place in America that I've seen a spirit house is at Thai Buddhist temples or at the house of a Thai person. So I think it's a fairly safe conclusion that Americans generally believe it's a rather silly tradition.

And the key word here, that I have used a couple of times, is tradition. There are many traditions in all countries that I think are silly. That doesn't make them 'wrong' or of no value. But it also doesn't mean they represent the way things really are. Many traditions in various societies are not based on reality, but may still have cultural value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 08:40 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm glad you mentioned this, particularly the last part. On the one hand, no I don't believe that there are spirits who live in the trees, soils, and other plants that would live on a plot of land where someone would build a house or other building. On the other hand, I think it's a cultural tradition that I think is rather charming, is very interesting, and somewhat defines the Thai connection to animism. And I would like to point out that the other poster among the unholy alliance that likes to attack almost anything I post probably doesn't believe in the concept of spirit houses, either. Or if she does, she's very welcome to show us the spirit house she has erected outside her house. And as far as American society's attitude toward spirit houses in the Thai tradition...the ONLY place in America that I've seen a spirit house is at Thai Buddhist temples or at the house of a Thai person. So I think it's a fairly safe conclusion that Americans generally believe it's a rather silly tradition. And the key word here, that I have used a couple of times, is tradition. There are many traditions in all countries that I think are silly. That doesn't make them 'wrong' or of no value. But it also doesn't mean they represent the way things really are. Many traditions in various societies are not based on reality, but may still have cultural value.
more pejoratives
more disdain expressed for other cultures, for other paths of religion and spirituality

Old 06-06-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
more pejoratives
more disdain expressed for other cultures, for other paths of religion and spirituality
Stop being so hyperbolic.

This is a forum to discuss religious principles and traditions, not to simply say isn't it all wonderful.

If you have some evidence of tree spirits, share that evidence with us.
If you erected a spirit house at your home, post a photo of it.
If you believe in animism, tell us why.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:53 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:

This is a forum to discuss religious principles and traditions, not to simply say isn't it all wonderful.

rational discussion includes the ability to express disagreement without using pejoratives.
grown-up discussion includes the ability to discuss and disagree without expressing disdain and contempt.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:59 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:

Dismissing a cutrural tradition silly is ignorance and to claim All Americans will view it as silly is dense ignorance personified. This is where hate begins, from arrogant ignorance.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:14 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:

I doubt there will be any actual discussion of the subtopic at hand. Some just have a need to control everything, including the direction of discourse, phrasing, real and perceived tone, etc. And even if there is a real offense committed:

"Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense." Proverbs 19:11

Contrary to this, I think it is the practice of some to look for and take up offense at every possible opportunity. I am not here for touche-kicking contests, but for conversation and honest debate. A handful here have pet hobby horses to ride and I am no longer here for it. From my perspective, they now ride alone.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:51 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I doubt there will be any actual discussion of the subtopic at hand. Some just have a need to control everything, including the direction of discourse, phrasing, real and perceived tone, etc. And even if there is a real offense committed:

"Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense." Proverbs 19:11

Contrary to this, I think it is the practice of some to look for and take up offense at every possible opportunity. I am not here for touche-kicking contests, but for conversation and honest debate. A handful here have pet hobby horses to ride and I am no longer here for it. From my perspective, they now ride alone.
I'm stealing "pet hobby horse" after I check my look.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
rational discussion includes the ability to express disagreement without using pejoratives.
grown-up discussion includes the ability to discuss and disagree without expressing disdain and contempt.
What is your position on the things I discussed.

Do you believe in animism?
Do you believe in things like 'tree spirits'?
Do you think that if you don't furnish a spirit house for your property that the tree spirits will have their revenge on you?
Do you think it is important to provide the 'tree spirits' (etc.) with water and food on a regular basis?
Do you have a spirit house?
Why don't Americans have spirit houses?

These are simple questions that you should be able to answer. Instead you attack me.

Old 06-06-2022, 05:26 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Yeah, believing in past lives is so way much more rational and reliable.

Sick'em ...

And worrying about how theist behave so we have to be careful is way more open mined ... we can be so honest and open discussions worrying about how religion can use the information. Or how atheism is marketed.

Old 06-12-2022, 11:15 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Quote:
more pejoratives
Perhaps he should have added his own culture having silly things too in order to escape your judgement.

If one finds one thing silly in another culture how does that show distain for that entire culture?

Apparently you have nothing but distain for Phet , using your "logic"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism