Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:56 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Isn't it sad that our existence is meaningless? That there is no afterlife, no god, and no real meaning to our lives? Eventually the whole earth and every remnant of human life will be gone with noting to show for everything we've done, everything we've created, everything we've passed on here. It's all for nothing. I don't think about it often, and enjoy my day to day existence, but it is still sad. Obviously one of the major reasons religion was created in the first place.
Back to the OP, (although I did enjoy the above exchange) isn't it great that there is no god or creator to smite us if we enjoy this life, guilt and fear free? No need to feel guilty about "sinning" and no ridiculous fear of an eternal hell. This life is it, it's all we have. Does that make it sad and meaningless? Absolutely not, it means we should do, say or be whatever we choose and perform to the best of our abilities, be good and decent people simply because it's the right thing to do and die knowing we "done good". Fairy tales have a place in childhood, but unfortunately the god thing myth is never dispelled so youngsters grow into adults still believing the fairy tale of god. I personally do not understand that since poor old Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny all got canned when Sally turned 10.

I guess it's just my opinion, but after feeling for a long while, even after becoming an atheist, I still held fast to there possibly being an afterlife, minus god and the bible's description of heaven. I have, of course, come to my senses just recently that that is highly unlikely and kind of a ridiculous notion if you're an atheist but in my defense, I spent most of my life as a Christian. It was a sort of residual effect, some more of that wishful thinking that falls right in line with Christianity so I had to let go of it, logically.

After all, the bible is where the idea of a god, heaven and hell come from and I don't believe for a second it is the vicarious word of some invisible deity so I kinda need more evidence than that that there is an afterlife. My whole entire being changed when I let go of religion so the belief of a bible-version afterlife needed to go too. We don't have to be the President or any kind of celebrity/VIP to be successful in this life.

The fact that we even exist in the first place is quite awe inspiring, as well as the fact we all have an expiration date. Maybe the religious are right about one thing - that we were created - but I guarantee he/she/it is nothing like the bible-god. That book is nothing but a compilation of fables, some repeated over and over by different authors who happened to all be MEN that were ancient, ignorant goat herders who had very active imaginations. Actually, it is that book and it's teachings of an eternal hell that started me on my quest of deconversion, wow I cannot believe the difference in me now and when I was a Christian. But that's what happens with brainwashing from birth.

I don't blame my relatives/family for what they did to me, after all it happened to them too. But I tell ya, I'd love to go back in time and find that one cra-cra relative who started all this fanatical Christianity in my family - if there is an afterlife I'll have a few choice words for him/her!

Seriously though, not sad, very glad for this life and all that I have the opportunity to do, whatever that ends up to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 08:50 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Isn't it sad that our existence is meaningless? That there is no afterlife, no god, and no real meaning to our lives? Eventually the whole earth and every remnant of human life will be gone with noting to show for everything we've done, everything we've created, everything we've passed on here. It's all for nothing. I don't think about it often, and enjoy my day to day existence, but it is still sad. Obviously one of the major reasons religion was created in the first place.
It's sad that your life is meaningless. Mine has meaning, tho. Anything we can help you out with?

Old 07-22-2016, 03:03 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
I consider it more absurd than sad, but I do find meaning and purpose and joy and interest in my life. Ultimately, it may mean nothing. I don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism