Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,913,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I did not really convert. I went from something to nothing. Can you really convert to the absence of belief? Disbelief did not occur to me at a point in time. But I did not need to recalibrate my moral compass since it was what lead me to the final acceptance that there is no decent reason to believe in the hooey I had been slung all my life.
Interesting ideas, sn! For me it was not going from something valid and pleasantly soul-calming, no matter how poorly represented or logically supported, to "nothing".

Not hardly. Rather, it was realizing over about 10 years, as I matured both mentally, experientially and technically out of my childish and easily nose-ring-led heads-full-of-mush teenaged years, plus my extensive pre- and post-grad level education, that it was all unsustainable.

A good but limited ghost story designed to induce fear of a Salvation-less afterlife, when in fact, you could go join Jee-Bus and his trained, non-lamb eating lion pride.

With the blatant and ever-more apparent absenteeism of a good comprehensive argument for a mythical Roman-invented mono-theistic paradigm in order to best control the seething masses of potentially tithe-paying Jews and others back in the day, the complete answers.

Like, for instance, where did the abandoned but well-documented dinos of the day go when Noah was stocking up the Ark? Even though he apparently did indeed make room for a good micro-biology lab to maintain the full range of that important life-sustaining cohort...). The lack of such obviously necessary arrangements were achingly transparent and both wholly and intellectually hollow as presented by technically illiterate (and apparently happy in that status...) Christian apologists.

As a result, that is what drove me to an initially somewhat relaxed evaluation of my childhood Christianity, but one which rapidly gained momentum with my own, and several of my equally inquisitive and educated friend's, mindsets. It quickly grew into a full-fledged evaluation and examination of all the meteor-impact-sized gaping holes in that increasingly and obviously flaccid and characteristically shallow theistic fairy-tail.

To wit: anyone who, in this early 21st century time of amazing scientific evaluation methods, chooses to believe all of that unsustainable pap, and to resist ever reading any articles, journal papers, or text books on this broadly based and co-supported subject, has well defined themselves as being purposefully incapable of unbiased, self-aware and openly self-educational thoughts. They cannot, it seems, even admit that there just might be some justification to some further evaluation.

But nope: Apparently it's all utterly biased scientific rubbish. Even though that vey same scientific process after ll, The SM is JUST A PROCESS!) has allowed their last safe 747 ride to function perfectly. How so, pray tell?

This be the level of existence they choose to exist in! Huzzah huzzah! And thus they do not warrant any further attention or debate from me: a process which, they have also clearly shown, they also seemingly do not even begin to know how to handle.

So, to heck with trying to wake up an especially large cohort of sleeping, psychologically drugged dogs or lab rats. We all know, after all, the eventual fate of most all lab animals, right?

(The Last Great Emergency Experiment in Christian Educationalism!")

Well... Good luck with that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,378 times
There's one subtle difference since my deconversion I haven't mentioned (to reiterate, I deconverted at 23-24 and am 31 now).

If you believe in the afterlife, there's less of an urgency to do all you can in this life. I mean, who needs to travel the world or read the Western canon when you can do that (and better!) once you're in heaven? It's taken me a while to realize I've been thinking this way, and I partly realize that one just thinks of these things less when one is younger. But yeah, without a god, there's a lot less time to get it all done!

Sometimes I think that's the saddest thing about fundamentalist religions - they spend so much time reading and discussing their holy book, they forget all the other wonderful things in life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism