Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,003,395 times

Advertisements

Ok- I'm about halfway through, and have already learned so much. As a Biology teacher, I love the way this guy is a Biologist and makes references to Darwinism all throughout his book. I can't wait to read "The Selfish Gene" and "Blind Watchmaker". I also think it would be incredibly awesome to hear him speak, but the chances of that happening in Oklahoma are slim to none.

Here's my problem with it...
This book makes me feel so incredibly stupid because there is so much in it that I don't have the foggiest notion of what he is talking about. He also uses big words and I realize that my American education is seriously lacking. I am struggling through though. I'm going to start taking notes of anything I'm clueless about so I can do a little research on things like memes, NOMA, etc.

I'm sure this has been discussed over and over and over on this forum, but hey, I'm new. What are your thoughts on the book? Those of you who are actually educated in Biological sciences, what is your take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,753,497 times
I think almost everyone feels intellectually lacking when reading OR listening to Richard Dawkins. The man is a genius. He has won many awards and has Honorary Degrees from all kinds of Universities.

And his books are brilliant.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I think almost everyone feels intellectually lacking when reading OR listening to Richard Dawkins. The man is a genius. He has won many awards and has Honorary Degrees from all kinds of Universities.

And his books are brilliant.
I'm glad it's not just me then.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,809,304 times
Oh, I agree with Djuna. I'm not a biologist but a trained geologist. I love Dawkins. Just brilliant! I read The River Out of Eden, and I had to read some passages 2-3 times to make sure I fully understood them. I love watching his lectures and debates on youtube. I think I have a crush on him.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Oh, I agree with Djuna. I'm not a biologist but a trained geologist. I love Dawkins. Just brilliant! I read The River Out of Eden, and I had to read some passages 2-3 times to make sure I fully understood them. I love watching his lectures and debates on youtube. I think I have a crush on him.
I'm finding that I have to read some things 2 or 3 times too. I'm usually a pretty good reader! I only wish I had half the brains Dawkins does. I might develop a crush too, Peppermint! He is very new to me as I live in the "Buckle" area of the country. I think it's so funny how he's got Fundamentalists pegged. I know- I used to be one of them.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I'm finding that I have to read some things 2 or 3 times too. I'm usually a pretty good reader! I only wish I had half the brains Dawkins does. I might develop a crush too, Peppermint! He is very new to me as I live in the "Buckle" area of the country. I think it's so funny how he's got Fundamentalists pegged. I know- I used to be one of them.
Shoot, girl, me too! My husband and I are born and raised Southerners - deep south. We're in TN now, but we'll be moving soon (don't know where yet - interviewing now). One of the places we're looking into is the UK. If we end up over there, you know I'm going to be trying to attend a few of Dawkins' lectures!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Shoot, girl, me too! My husband and I are born and raised Southerners - deep south. We're in TN now, but we'll be moving soon (don't know where yet - interviewing now). One of the places we're looking into is the UK. If we end up over there, you know I'm going to be trying to attend a few of Dawkins' lectures!
I will definitely be jealous!

You know the other one I can't wait to read is Hitchens.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:22 AM

I read Hitchens' God Is Not Good and his bio of Thomas Jefferson. I liked them both. When I read the former, I wasn't as anti-theist as I am now. I think I would appreciate his view more now than I did then. Would love to hear what you think about Hitchens too.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I read Hitchens' God Is Not Good and his bio of Thomas Jefferson. I liked them both. When I read the former, I wasn't as anti-theist as I am now. I think I would appreciate his view more now than I did then. Would love to hear what you think about Hitchens too.
I've heard Hitchens interviewed on "All Things Considered" and I liked him quite a bit. I can see how he would be pretty contraversial though. He definitely speaks his mind and doesn't bother sugar-coating it at all! I wish I could be that honest. Maybe not that blunt, but just honest about how I really felt about the way the world works. Around here, I'd be branded as a Satanist.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,843,363 times
Richard Dawkins has a better brain than most, but he has an ego to match, and a steel-clad preconceived personal opinion of all things which is so immovable that he makes the fundies on this forum seem reasonable.

Science is fairly accurate, but it's become a "religion" of it's own and can be just as rooted in dogma. Also, science is imperfect, in some cases outright wrong and slow to accept superior new concepts.

Certainly people 500 years in the future will look at our scientists with the same amusement as we look at little kids making baking soda volcanoes for the science fair today. "At least they were trying", they will say as they shake their heads in bemusement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism