Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,654 times

Advertisements

Begin Rant.

Has anyone else seen these NOTW stickers around town on people's back windows lately too? I've seen three this week alone on: 1) My neighbor's beat-up conversion van, 2) An early-to-mid 90's Honda Civic with tinted windows, and 3) A rather nice-looking SUV. Apparently, they're running wild through the country's demographics structure.

In case you're not sure, this is what it looks like:

My thoughts:

1. How self-aggrandizing

2. How arrogant

3. If you feel you're above this world or better than your fellow man (despite the fact that statistics likely show you're far less educated than him), why exactly are you still here? If you leave, may I acquire your assets?

4. Can someone inform them that 'of' is a preposition and doesn't belong in an acronym? I guess NTW was out of the question because it could leave some to interpret the sign as saying "NITWIT."

Is anyone else sickened when they see this kind of thing?

/Rant
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 12:49 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
I've never seen it, but it wouldn't bother me if I did. There will always be nitwits. Live and let live.

Edit: Hahaha - Never ASSume! I just Googled NOTW and see that it is a Christian movement. I thought maybe it had something to do with witchcraft. Oops! LOL (I still think it's a little over the top, though....)

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-05-2011 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Oops!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Funny, I thought that was the logo of a band I hadn't heard of. Looks like one anyway.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Meh, they can paste whatever they like on their hoopty. It just gives me more fodder for funny pictures for everyone on FB to laugh about.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Edit: Hahaha - Never ASSume! I just Googled NOTW and see that it is a Christian movement. I thought maybe it had something to do with witchcraft. Oops! LOL (I still think it's a little over the top, though....)
I should have introduced it slightly better. Yeah, it's a Christian thing so they can remind everyone that they're better than them. They're nawt of this world, afterall... =P

And you're right, it does look pretty witchcrafty or like a gang sign.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:04 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
Looks like it would have made the album cover of an old 80s metal band.

Perhaps it's an attempt to appeal to the youth.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:18 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Can you tell us why it is so disturbing to you?
The "Baby On Board" ones irritate me a whole lot more....like I will be less careful around cars without a baby in them?

Old 01-05-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Can you tell us why it is so disturbing to you?
The "Baby On Board" ones irritate me a whole lot more....like I will be less careful around cars without a baby in them?
Haha, that one is funny also.

To me, I think it's a slap in the face to everyone who knows what it means. The driver is saying, Hey, I'm better than this and I have riches waiting for me when I die, and if you don't believe the same thing I do, than I am better than you too.

In this case, I think it also goes back to fundamentalist Christians not caring or respecting the world around them in which they live. i.e. Mother earth. This bumper sticker epitomizes that for me, too. Afterall, their afterlife is what they're waiting for. What do they care? Global Warming? Who cares. I'm peacin' out one day and I have a better world waiting for me. Endangered species? Who cares. The betterment of human kind? Who cares, let's just save some souls.

This is the time of attitude I think this type of bumper sticker reminds me of. If nothing else, it's at the very least gimmicky and commercial.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:26 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I've never seen it, but it wouldn't bother me if I did. There will always be nitwits. Live and let live.

Well, from my perspective, the christians believe and act weirdly. Certainly a number of their thoughts are not grounded in reality, ergo "NOTW".

Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Those are SUPER popular with college students where I live and I see them constantly. In fact, I was nearly run off the road a few weeks ago by a gigantic red lifted Chevy truck that had a NOTW sticker smacked over the entire back window of his truck. I guess it was 'gods will' that he should use the bike lane/sidewalk to pass a bunch of people.

I think it's great that they brand themselves like that...because then I know who to stay away from when I'm driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism