Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 11:25 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing that most of the sex workers in most of the redlight districts of Thailand are from Isan, but I'm wondering if that's really true. I know the percentage is probably sizeable, but poverty is not restricted to the northeast of the country, I'm sure there are many poor people all over the country, not just among the 21 million in the northeast of the country. They've been stereotyped as looking 'darker' than many other Thais, but in some bars in Bangkok I noticed quite a few of the bargirls quite pale and quite 'Chinese looking', i.e. Thais with Chinese ancestry (although many Thais do), along with the darker ones. I think Asian customers (of which there are many, from other Asian countries) prefer fair skin while western men are less picky... I'm sure many bargirls are also from the urban slums of Bangkok, or Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai districts, other parts of the NE, rural central, and the southern provinces. Would I be correct in assuming very few from southern Thailand, maybe because it's more Malay-Muslim, leave to work as bargirls.etc, let alone are encouraged to do so?

Of course the exact percentages aren't important, but 80% or something seems a bit high. Maybe 50-60% seems more plausible, but I have no idea myself. On the subject of Isan identity, are they considered ethnic Thai or Tai? What about the Malays of southern Thailand, they're considered ethnic Malays right? Same with the hill tribes like the Karen.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:27 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Would I be correct in assuming very few from southern Thailand, maybe because it's more Malay-Muslim, leave to work as bargirls.etc, let alone are encouraged to do so?
Not really, most Southern girls i met came from Songkhla/Phuket, others came from Surat Thani, Krabi, Nakhon Si Thammarat and Phattalung but they were all Buddhist not Muslim.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Not really, most Southern girls i met came from Songkhla/Phuket, others came from Surat Thani, Krabi, Nakhon Si Thammarat and Phattalung but they were all Buddhist not Muslim.
Yes, the girls working in Patong are probably more from the south still, more Chinese Thai and Malay probably than Isan. Phuket isn't really that Muslim, but Songkha and Surat Thani are.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:30 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Quote:
Yes, the girls working in Patong are probably more from the south still, more Chinese Thai and Malay probably than Isan. Phuket isn't really that Muslim, but Songkha and Surat Thani are.
I think 70% of all bargirls in Thailand were born in the purple region on the map,
Over 10% from the North, around 10% from Central, and just under 10% from the South.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think 70% of all bargirls in Thailand were born in the purple region on the map,
Over 10% from the North, around 10% from Central, and just under 10% from the South.
How ironic that most Isan don't even consider themselves ethnically Thai or speak it as their mother tongue. So one could say most Thai bargirls are actually more like Lao than Thai? I guess their nationality is Thai.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:37 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,842 times
Most of these women wouldn't choose to live this lifestyle. It is only due to overwhelming poverty. It is only humans preying on other humans. Women only prostitute themselves for money.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Most of these women wouldn't choose to live this lifestyle. It is only due to overwhelming poverty. It is only humans preying on other humans. Women only prostitute themselves for money.
Well yes, of course, for the most part. A bargirl can earn way more having sex with men than farming or being a servant or something. It's lucrative. In many cases their family encourages it, as their wage is enough to support the girl's family quite well.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:50 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,842 times
Quote:
Well yes, of course, for the most part. A bargirl can earn way more having sex with men than farming or being a servant or something. It's lucrative. In many cases their family encourages it, as their wage is enough to support the girl's family quite well.
There is not much human rights or dignity though. Wealthier countries should not be exploiting poorer people in this fashion. It shows you how desperate these people are if they would support their daughters to sell themselves like this. There are a lot of predators out there.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
There is not much human rights or dignity though. Wealthier countries should not be exploiting poorer people in this fashion. It shows you how desperate these people are if they would support their daughters to sell themselves like this. There are a lot of predators out there.
Yes, it takes two the tango. You can't blame either side for it, nor can you fully blame the government. I mean what do you propose the solution be? The government doesn't want to stop it, even though prostitution is technically illegal, because it brings in so many tourists and money into Thailand. As long as there's cheap sex the foreigners will come, and heck, most whole visit prostitutes are still Thais. This situation is not unique to Thailand, but it's just more visible here for some reason.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
It's a job.
Employment.

Only those is the West view such with disdain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia