Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 03:09 PM

199 posts, read 336,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Let me put it this way, the Jews controls a disproportionately amount of business, especially in Wall Street in the US too. Does that mean Wall Street is run by Israel?
It depends so you need to be more specific. Do most of those American Jews happen to be Zionists?

Quote:
If so I think most of these people see themselves as Indonesian first and don't have any particular relationship with China though I'm not sure.
Maintaining your mother tongue is one way of keeping ties to your ancestor's country. Just like the majority of Mexicans in the U.S. who speak Spanish as their first language.

...do most of these Indonesian Chinese speak Chinese or Bahasa Indonesia as a first language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 04:46 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Chinese Indonesians are Indonesian with Chinese heritage. The fact that they run the show doesn't mean China runs the show. I don't know why you equal these two.

Let me put it this way, the Jews controls a disproportionately amount of business, especially in Wall Street in the US too. Does that mean Wall Street is run by Israel?
Actually I don't think that's what the OP meant, I think he means the PRC was running the show.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
100% agree with this. All of the nations in South Asia were effected by similar policies and the Chinese with their massive population explosion happily allowed the migration of large numbers of their people to these areas. Unfortunately, the colonists were racist and therefore pushed mixing to "lighten up" the people and make them more appealing, to the point where now many of these people in the main cities and festivals look almost indistinguishable from Chinese. So in Thailand, Burma, Indonesia, the Philippines, Laos, Malaysia, Cambodia, Singapore (which was created from scratch by the British) and so forth, you have large populations of mixed or almost pure Chinese running the show economically and or politically. And indeed this has caused turmoil in South Asia to this day, along with the lingering issues from the influence of the colonial French, Dutch, Spanish, British and Americans in the political and economic sphere.

The same confluence of politics, economics and racism also took place in the Pacific where in Hawaii, native Hawaiians weren't even allowed to use their own beaches or participate in surfing competitions not that long ago, which is their national sport. And often the hotels and resorts brought in Asian women from China or elsewhere to represent "natives", not to mention the actual migration of Asian folks that was pushed by the conquerors of Hawaii.
True, although the history of Chinese migration to SEA predates the age of colonialism. There were some sinitic kingdoms beforehand, and the Dai came from China too, and brought along some Chinese influence. But yes, I do believe colonial policies were instrumental in allowing the Chinese a stranglehold on the economy.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
It depends so you need to be more specific. Do most of those American Jews happen to be Zionists?

Maintaining your mother tongue is one way of keeping ties to your ancestor's country. Just like the majority of Mexicans in the U.S. who speak Spanish as their first language.

...do most of these Indonesian Chinese speak Chinese or Bahasa Indonesia as a first language?
80% speak bahasa indonesia or local language (javanese,sundanese,makassarite,etc) as their first language

Old 02-05-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
80% speak bahasa indonesia or local language (javanese,sundanese,makassarite,etc) as their first language
I heard only 20% as first language, even if most can speak it.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I heard only 20% as first language, even if most can speak it.
Lol who mislead you to that conclusion? a person from Medan or Pontianak?

as far as im concerned 90 - 99% of the Chinese outside Sumatra and West Kalimantan do not know how to speak Chinese, most do not speak it let me clarify that for you, Indonesia is totally not like Malaysia where the Chinese desires to retain their cultural identity. (50% of the Chinese lives in Java, majority whom lack Chinese language skill) In schools local language are thought, enabling the Chinese to absorb the language very quickly, in Surabaya/Yogyakarta/Semarang however the Chinese has become mainly Javanese speaking people, this has been going on for some generation. Only the elderly might know Chinese language but certainl not the next generation.

Chinese living in Padang will know how to speak Minang as Chinese living in Bandung will also know how to speak Sundanese, but hardly any Chinese i would say. That is why some rich Chinese parents might send them to China so their children can learn the language, but that is only because China can be beneficial for them in future.

Last edited by Goshio22; 02-05-2014 at 07:30 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:

as far as im concerned 90 - 99% of the Chinese outside Sumatra and West Kalimantan do not know how to speak Chinese, most do not speak it let me clarify that for you, Indonesia is totally not like Malaysia where the Chinese desires to retain their cultural identity. (50% of the Chinese lives in Java, majority whom lack Chinese language skill) In schools local language are thought, enabling the Chinese to absorb the language very quickly, in Surabaya/Yogyakarta/Semarang however the Chinese has become mainly Javanese speaking people, this has been going on for some generation. Only the elderly might know Chinese language but certainl not the next generation.

Chinese living in Padang will know how to speak Minang as Chinese living in Bandung will also know how to speak Sundanese, but hardly any Chinese i would say. That is why some rich Chinese parents might send them to China so their children can learn the language, but that is only because China can be beneficial for them in future.
Do most of them identify as 'Overseas Chinese' or not? Most would consider themselves Indonesian regardless, but do most consider themselves 'Chinese Indonesian' or just Indonesian?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Do most of them identify as 'Overseas Chinese' or not? Most would consider themselves Indonesian regardless, but do most consider themselves 'Chinese Indonesian' or just Indonesian?
Ethnically most would consider themself as Chinese Indonesians, the halfs would just say they are Indonesians or mixed, in here every ethnic have various ethnic backgrounds likewise, so the chinese also have their own. Not like Thai where most of them are just plain Thai and same could be said about the Chinese, though many Chinese Thais would not deny their Chinese ancestry.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Oh I think there was a mis-communication. I thought you were saying 80% of ALL Indonesians speak Indonesian as a FIRST language, not just Chinese, but you also mention local languages.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Oh I think there was a mis-communication. I thought you were saying 80% of ALL Indonesians speak Indonesian as a FIRST language, not just Chinese, but you also mention local languages.
Lol, ohh yeah 20 - 30% is as good when it comes to Bahasa Indonesia as first language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia