Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:03 AM

47 posts, read 260,650 times

Advertisements

So what's the deal with Korean men? Why do they get so upset when they see a korean woman with a foreign man?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 AM

108 posts, read 259,592 times
I didnt know they got upset? I know that Koreans dating outside of their race is still kinda taboo in South Korea to a certain extent so I can only imagine maybe this has something to do with it.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:13 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
So what's the deal with Korean men? Why do they get so upset when they see a korean woman with a foreign man?
It's the same in China, more or less.
The idea is: if a Korean woman has to pick a foreigner, does it mean the thousands of Korean men around her is not good enough for her?

Only in Southeast Asians people do not seem to mind it.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
It seems like this is a fairly common current among most groups to some extent to another - a lot of guys just don't like seeing women who are from the same race/nationality as them with guys who aren't.

It's dumb to me... they're their own person, they can be with whomever they want.

Countries that are have a stronger sense of nationalism seem to be worse about it, and nations that have an ethnocentric nationalism even more so, because it becomes an "us vs. them" thing, or more specifically, a "they're taking our women" thing. When it comes to multicultural/melting pot countries, I think that guys are less apt to freak out about it, but by no means does that mean it doesn't happen. Korea isn't a melting pot, and has a rising sense of ethnocentric nationalism, so maybe there's some credence to this, but I haven't really seen personally. FWIW one of my best friends in junior high and high school was Korean and he didn't bat an eye when I dated a Korean girl.

A Korean (or Chinese, or American, or...) woman who marries a guy from her own country also passed up thousands of other guys from her own country because they weren't good enough. Same difference IMHO.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
I lived in South Korea for 7-8 years, yeah, that is very common.

Why do they get upset? Well, we can only speculate...but they just do. I think I've heard everything you can imagine as to why. But, it just is.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:11 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's the same in China, more or less.
The idea is: if a Korean woman has to pick a foreigner, does it mean the thousands of Korean men around her is not good enough for her?

Only in Southeast Asians people do not seem to mind it.
In Southeast Asia many of these women are merely taking advantage of foreign men. Many just squeeze them for money, and many of them support their families. They may have a regular say Thai boyfriend or husband, but just have sex with farangs for the income. When you're struggling to survive you're a bit less righteous about things like fidelity. If you're that way inclined, of course, this is still a minority of Thais.

Korea is now rich by world standards so there aren't as many women who want a green card or marry for money. There is still a prestige associated with Western men and western women for Korean men, but I think marrying a non-Korean is still frowned upon by many Koreans. I can imagine it's a mix of insecurity and resentment that Korean women might see foreigners as somehow more desirable because of the prestige they command.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:05 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I worked in Seoul for a year and yeah, the girls did not want to be seen with a Westerm man due to the attitude of the Korean men. There have been many American soldiers there who have planted their seed and left and that affects the attitudes. I heard it goes back to early 20th century when the Japanese absconded with over 100,000 Koean girls to be used as comfort girls to their soldiers.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:19 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
Quote:
The only time I saw them get upset in my time, is when I committed lewd acts in front of them. They did not like watching that.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:05 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I worked in Seoul for a year and yeah, the girls did not want to be seen with a Westerm man due to the attitude of the Korean men. There have been many American soldiers there who have planted their seed and left and that affects the attitudes. I heard it goes back to early 20th century when the Japanese absconded with over 100,000 Koean girls to be used as comfort girls to their soldiers.
I'm guessing it's a minority of Korean women anyway, the US soldier/expat population in Korea is only so big. The fact that there are far fewer (from what I've heard) Korean male/foreign female couplings in Korea has been sometimes attributed to Korean men being typically too traditional for the liberal (mostly) western men. I remember seeing a documentary (it was in Korean so I didn't understand it) about a Korean man married to a Finnish woman and their family. Either way, I think men who think they 'own' all the females of their 'race' will often get resentful towards other men taking 'their women', or at least the ones they find desirable. Certainly, the same has happened in Western countries. In the 19th century there were fears intermarriages between Chinese immigrants and western women would lead to a pollution of the white gene pool.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Racism and insecurity.

In a free society, no one should care what a woman chooses to do in her personal life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia