Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Really?

From the standpoint of an artist who has studied and does Chinese-style brushwork, excepting modern anime/manga, I don't see it.

Even moreso in Japanese art:

^ mods: those paintings are hundreds of years old and copyright exempt.

The whiteness? Yeah, especially in Northern parts of China, Japan, and Korea, there are fair-skinned people; I had an ex who was fair-skinned, had freckles, and light brown eyes despite being 100% ethnically Chinese...

There's certainly some truth to that. I'm from the "why not both?" camp.
In China, different dynasties have different standards of beauty. For example, in Tang Dynasty, relative "fat" women with very round face are considered beautiful, but it is certainly not true in Qing dynasty, for example.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:47 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China, different dynasties have different standards of beauty. For example, in Tang Dynasty, relative "fat" women with very round face are considered beautiful, but it is certainly not true in Qing dynasty, for example.
In most Chinese paintings the women have narrow, thin, white faces with narrow sharp noses. Same with Japanese art.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:24 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Tall, slim, model-like ladies are now the standard of beauty in China. Go to any Chinese dating sight and you'll see many women 5'8"+. Some even have surgery to lengthen the limbs and be taller.
Yeah... right. Hardly anyone is trying to be taller than in asia. I can't talk about chinese dating sites, but I have lived in China.

Of course you will see woman that are 5'8"+, just like in any other country.

Last edited by Camlon; 12-21-2013 at 03:33 AM..

Old 12-21-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Really?

From the standpoint of an artist who has studied and does Chinese-style brushwork, excepting modern anime/manga, I don't see it.
Just becase they drew some women that way does not mean they considered it more beautiful.

Here is some other chinese art. As you can see big eyes and small nose. Remember that those slit eyes, are in fact not that common.

This image is probably copyrighted.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Yeah... right. Hardly anyone is trying to be taller than in asia. I can't talk about chinese dating sites, but I have lived in China.

Of course you will see woman that are 5'8"+, just like in any other country.
Chinese women don't aspire to be short. They may not want to be 6'2", but they definitely want to be tall, slim and long-limbed. This ideal seems moreso in China than the West even.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Just becase they drew some women that way does not mean they considered it more beautiful.

Here is some other chinese art. As you can see big eyes and small nose. Remember that those slit eyes, are in fact not that common.

This image is probably copyrighted.
When was this painting drawn? Yes, large eyes are not uncommon in China, but moreso central and southern rather than northern China.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:03 PM

101 posts, read 326,770 times
Quote:
Really?

Even moreso in Japanese art:

^ mods: those paintings are hundreds of years old and copyright exempt.

The whiteness? Yeah, especially in Northern parts of China, Japan, and Korea, there are fair-skinned people; I had an ex who was fair-skinned, had freckles, and light brown eyes despite being 100% ethnically Chinese...

There's certainly some truth to that. I'm from the "why not both?" camp.
Paintings or drawings are merely depictions of an ideal, and the problem is that people tend to take it too literally. It's just like in Japanese anime, the eyes are huge but you don't actually expect someone to have eyes that large or that they would actually look attractive with eyes that large, but what we know is that it's an ideal. And of course, they do have a way of depicting characters with narrow eyes as well depending on the manga/anime.
http://hokageclanmeasure.webs.com/na...idaime0001.jpg

Despite those women in Chinese paintings being drawn with slitty eyes, beauty is actually pretty much universal. There's this study about newborn babies preferring to stare longer at more attractive faces. So while ancient Chinese artist may not share the same beauty standard as today's Chinese, what they see as beautiful still wouldn't differ too much from what we see as beautiful. For example, girls like this instead of this or this.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:21 PM

101 posts, read 326,770 times
Quote:
In most Chinese paintings the women have narrow, thin, white faces with narrow sharp noses. Same with Japanese art.
All the paintings have similar art style and texture so they were most likely from the same time frame. In Chinese literature though beautiful women are depicted as having pink lips and almond eyes. There's also a description for the face and the brows but it's too figurative.

Quote:
Chinese women don't aspire to be short. They may not want to be 6'2", but they definitely want to be tall, slim and long-limbed. This ideal seems moreso in China than the West even.
This is very true. The west seem to have no problem with women being short but in Asia it's an undesirable trait.

Quote:
When was this painting drawn? Yes, large eyes are not uncommon in China, but moreso central and southern rather than northern China.
Central Chinese don't look too much different from Northern Chinese though. Usually it's only the far south that kinda stands out.

Last edited by Bastardised; 12-21-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Of course, if you are really short then you either look like a child or is not petite. Neither which is desirable.

However, the question is, do people have a euro-centric view. And as I said they don't desire the same height. Maybe the models do, but from my experience if you are over 1.7 in asia it becomes a disadvantage.

Take a look at famous actresses in China. Nearly all of them are in between 1.6 - 1.7.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Of course, if you are really short then you either look like a child or is not petite. Neither which is desirable.

However, the question is, do people have a euro-centric view. And as I said they don't desire the same height. Maybe the models do, but from my experience if you are over 1.7 in asia it becomes a disadvantage.

Take a look at famous actresses in China. Nearly all of them are in between 1.6 - 1.7.
Maybe for some short insecure Chinese men, but the younger generation of Chinese - especially in the north - are tall. Many men are 6 foot+, and many Chinese models are 5'9"+, some over 6 feet even. I think if you measured university students in Beijing who are from the north they wouldn't be much different to Europeans in height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.