Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,835 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

We are interested in moving to the Ozarks of Arkansas, and have only two hard to reconcile needs.

We must have:

- 10+ acres of semi-rural or rural property
- broadband (not satellite) internet access

We can work from anywhere as long as we can get some sort of broadband. It doesn't have to be blazingly fast, but it must be at least 1.5 mps download speed and reliable, which satellite internet is not.

Are there any spots in the Akansas (or Missouri) Ozarks that offer a somewhat rural secluded location where one can still get broadband internet?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 03:29 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickden View Post
Hi folks,

We are interested in moving to the Ozarks of Arkansas, and have only two hard to reconcile needs.

We must have:

- 10+ acres of semi-rural or rural property
- broadband (not satellite) internet access

We can work from anywhere as long as we can get some sort of broadband. It doesn't have to be blazingly fast, but it must be at least 1.5 mps download speed and reliable, which satellite internet is not.

Are there any spots in the Akansas (or Missouri) Ozarks that offer a somewhat rural secluded location where one can still get broadband internet?

Thanks in advance.
Let me know if you find anything and I'll be your bestest new neighbor. I can't find a house outside of the city limits that has access to highspeed. I wouldn't even want to try to find a place in the hills with internet as a requirement.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:58 PM

151 posts, read 713,835 times
I am looking for the same thing and if it is not available trying to figure out which cities I would need to be close enough to that I can rent a roof to setup a wireless connection. Maybe even offer the homeowner free broadband in exchange of setting up a wireless base station to get broadband back to a homestead.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
I do know a couple of places that should meed your needs. It is in the Ozark Mountains. but not in Arkansas. I don't want to hijack the thread. Click on my name; select *direct message* in the drop down menu for more information. I lived in this area 25 years.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:40 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,081 times
In our area choices *were* slim. I tried sattelite for a year...no good.

Then I got an Alltel (Now Verizon) cellular modem, gives about 1300-1400 mbps download, but the thing I like about it is the portability.

Recently, our phone provider, Century Tel, called and advised the had upgraded their equipment, and one no longer had to be close to a switching station for DSL. They offered a 1.5 mbps DSL line @ $30 a month.

They have different speeds.

One of my neighbors bought in and they love it.

Believe me, if they can get DSL to us, they can get it to anywhere.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
In our area choices *were* slim. I tried sattelite for a year...no good.

Then I got an Alltel (Now Verizon) cellular modem, gives about 1300-1400 mbps download, but the thing I like about it is the portability.

Recently, our phone provider, Century Tel, called and advised the had upgraded their equipment, and one no longer had to be close to a switching station for DSL. They offered a 1.5 mbps DSL line @ $30 a month.

They have different speeds.

One of my neighbors bought in and they love it.

Believe me, if they can get DSL to us, they can get it to anywhere.
How many miles are you from the closest town? From your posts it sounds like you are kind of in the "boonies" so it is pretty amazing that your neighbor gets DSL. CenturyTel must be putting DSLAMs in outhouses!

Old 08-07-2009, 01:52 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
I was a rural customer of Century Tel that lived 50 miles from any town of size. Even though my house was less than 10 blocks from the CO, most of the time, the speed was not a lot faster than dial up The best bundled package that cost $100 a month the service was erratic. it. I don't care what company it is, telco is more interested in taking money for poor service than they are in upgrading old lines and expanding CO capability. I hope your experience is wonderful. Mine was so terrible I received a refund.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
What would a 10 acre lot go for in the Ozark area?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
How many miles are you from the closest town? From your posts it sounds like you are kind of in the "boonies" so it is pretty amazing that your neighbor gets DSL. CenturyTel must be putting DSLAMs in outhouses!
15 miles from Melbourne, Horseshoe Bend, and Ash Flat.

10 miles from Evening Shade.

A few years ago, I called CenturyTel and asked if they could provide me with DSL, and they said no, so I was surprised when they called recently.

I believe that when I called, the max distance from a switching station was 2 miles. It certainly has changed.

Putting DSLAMs in outhouses.......

Hmmm.....well, it's not like the second seat gets used.

Whatta ya think they'd pay in rent?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What would a 10 acre lot go for in the Ozark area?
What I've been seeing is an average of $2,000 for unimproved land.

The factors that affect the price are how close to pavement, how hard is access, does it have a pond, is there grazing area or is it all timber, is it mostly level or is it all a rocky mess, etc.

Currently I'm seeing some acreage go as low as $1600, and some as high as $4000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas