Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
What I've been seeing is an average of $2,000 for unimproved land.

The factors that affect the price are how close to pavement, how hard is access, does it have a pond, is there grazing area or is it all timber, is it mostly level or is it all a rocky mess, etc.

Currently I'm seeing some acreage go as low as $1600, and some as high as $4000.
Thak you for the information. I figured that it would depend on the improvements, amenities, and how far away roads and services were. I have an interest in the state. My grandfather grew up in the Hot Springs area. I remember as a kid visiting their home after he retired. They had a 5 acre lot with a stream running thru it. But that was in the 1970's so it has been some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,975 times
Ck around Eureka springs, Berryville, ar. beautiful land all around!!
Should be internet around as well

Old 08-14-2009, 02:33 PM

21 posts, read 44,354 times
I know it isn't the Ozarks, but there is a little town called Hatfield in the Ouachita mountains (population around 400) Amazingly they have DSL available. The town is about 10 miles south of Mena. I live east of town and have settled for dial-up. WHAT A PAIN!! I do most of my computer work from my office.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:50 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,312 times
WiMAX is coming.

Sprint Nextel announced in mid-2006 that it would invest about US$ 5 billion in a WiMAX technology buildout over the next few years. Since that time Sprint has faced many setbacks, that have resulted in steep quarterly losses. On May 7, 2008, Sprint, Imagine, Google, Intel, Comcast, and Time Warner announced a pooling of an average of 120 MHz of spectrum and formation of a new company which will take the name Clearwire.

WiMAX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clearwire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-17-2009, 07:41 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
WiMAX is coming.

Sprint Nextel announced in mid-2006 that it would invest about US$ 5 billion in a WiMAX technology buildout over the next few years. Since that time Sprint has faced many setbacks, that have resulted in steep quarterly losses. On May 7, 2008, Sprint, Imagine, Google, Intel, Comcast, and Time Warner announced a pooling of an average of 120 MHz of spectrum and formation of a new company which will take the name Clearwire.

WiMAX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clearwire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,433 times
I'm looking to move to Shannon County, Missouri and am facing the same broadband connection issue. I am a web designer who works from home, and dial-up just won't do. Satellite makes me nervous, I don't feel like it is reliable enough or fast enough. Plus I can't game, heh, but I can quit gaming if I have to. If I have to.

I'd love to get any advice I available.

Thanks,
Kim

Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.
Good point!

Looks like Verizon Wireless is the favorite in the race for the wireless broadband market anyway. Might see it in Arkansas within the next 10 years.

Mobile Broadband Moves Closer with Verizon Test
NewsFactor Network
By Barry Levine
August 17, 2009 11:56AM

Mobile broadband moved closer as Verizon Wireless announced a successful field test of 4G/Long Term Evolution data calls. Verizon conducted the test of LTE on the 700-MHz spectrum it bought in the FCC auction. Verizon plans to launch LTE 4G in 30 markets next year as it races to compete with the WiMAX standard backed by Sprint and Intel.

<snip>

Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
Looks like Verizon Wireless is the favorite in the race for the wireless broadband market anyway. Might see it in Arkansas within the next 10 years.<snip>
Well.......I see pros..cons...and a *long* wait on this.

First, the pros. I had Verizon service from their day one when I was working in the state of Chicago, and I have to say that the service was flawless.

On relocating to here, I switched to Alltel and have had not one complaint.

Verizon then bought Alltel, and we're back where we started.

Cons....

After many bumps in the road, I obtained my wireless internet with Alltel. Pretty consistant 1200-1500 kbps downloads, and RogMar's a happy camper, even sitting on the big rocks down in the holler doing my e-mail.

Now, the big blue meanie in this story is companies with their 5 gig caps.

One movie, and you're outta business.

What good does super fast broadband do when they've got a 5 gig baseball bat ready to swing? Especially when they're charging .25 per *megabyte* when you exceed 5 gigs.

Alltel didn't cap, and Verizon says they're honoring the contracts, so maybe I'll have no limits on the rest of my contract.

When CenturyTel called me to let me know they could now provide me with DSL, they made a point out of telling me several times they were *uncapped*.

I'm sure that as with all other innovations, it will go to major metro markets first, then slowly drip into less popualated areas, and eventually, when we're all zipping around in our air-cars like George Jetson, we'll get it in the country.

With the economic status of Arkansas, ain't no line at the door to get cutting-edge in here.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:41 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Well.......I see pros..cons...and a *long* wait on this.

First, the pros. I had Verizon service from their day one when I was working in the state of Chicago, and I have to say that the service was flawless.
I didn't realize Chicago seceded from Illinois. Or is Chicago a state of mind?

Sorry, I couldn't restrain myself..

Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I didn't realize Chicago seceded from Illinois. Or is Chicago a state of mind?

Sorry, I couldn't restrain myself..
"Chi-town", as the *urban hipsters* there like to call it, most certainly seceded from the State of Illinois a long time ago.

If you ever get bored, try browsing through the Illinois Vehicle Code sometime and look at all the laws that state, "Except in cities with populations of 500,000 or more".

WELL....

That certainly narrows it down.

I'm not going to get on a soapbox like some have, but I'm tellin' ya brother, I went there for higher pay, and about 5 years into that regretted it greatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas