Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd3075 View Post
My wife and I just recently moved to Fort Smith from Houston and have been living here about 8 months. We are both in our mid 20's, and it was my job that brought us to town. Here are a few of our "observations" since living here:

- Downtown Fort Smith does have a nice, old feel to it and it's a shame more isn't done to bring it back to life. When I first drove into town, I had high hopes seeing Downtown from across the river, but it was very disappointing when you see it up close.

- One of the first things that struck me was that it seems like styles and trends are about 5-10 years behind the rest of the country. I hadn't seen anyone dressed in goth clothes since I was in high school, yet it seems like half the youth here in Fort Smith it dressed in black.

- Outside of a few exceptions, there are no noteworthy restaurants in Fort Smith. Part of it might be that we were spoiled by all the choices we had in Houston, but outside of a few places (Doe's, Rolando's, 21 Westend, etc.) there really isn't anything that great here.

- If there is anything you need that you can't find in Fort Smith (which seems to be a lot more than you'd think), NW Arkansas is only an hour drive away. It reminds me a lot of the suburban areas of Houston in that everything is new and that people there seem to have a chip on their shoulder thinking that their area is "better".

- Most people that we've run into here in town are originally from here and have never really lived anywhere else. There aren't many people that move here or move away from here.

- There are two distinct type of people here; hillybilly, white trash people with washing machines on their front lawn, or stuck up, wanna-be "rich" people that think they are extremely great and don't have the time of day for people "below" them.

- I know this is kinda trivial, but people here do not know how to drive. If I'm the first car in line at a stoplight, I literally have to count to count to three before I go because more times than not people blatantly run red lights well after it has turned red. It's like the only time anyone here ever used the gas pedal is if they see a yellow or red light. Also, the flow of traffic always seems to be 5-10 mph below the post limit. It seems like everytime I drive down Rogers there are two cars driving side-by-side going 25 mph.

I can keep going, but I should probably get back to work.

**EDIT**

I completely forgot one big thing that seems strikes me as very odd but seems to be the norm for everyone else.

- People here are extremely outward with their religious beliefs. With probably half the people I meet for the first time, the first question that comes out of their mouth is, "What church do you go to?". I guess it was just the way I was brought up, but that is something you do not discuss with people you do not know. Not only that but if I try to change the subject or they somehow later find out I play golf on Sunday mornings, they then won't talk to me. It's not a "run away scared" type of situation but one where you can tell they no longer want to be in my presense. Another example are all the yard signs around my neighborhood about the upcoming event at the "Evangal Temple" and how I've never really ever seen anything like that.
Probably part of your observation comes from living in Houston before moving to AR, as you mentioned. Houston is one of the largest cities in the USA, Fort Smith is a mid sized town. We love the downtown area and agree with you. I hope they do not let it die.

I do take exception to one comment you made and that is about religion, I guess we were all raised differently, I was never taught there was anything wrong about asking what chuch one attends. Discussing religion, yes, but not asking that simple question. I do agree, people in Fort Smith seem to put alot of emphasis on religion, this is part of the south and I see nothing really wrong with it until they start lecturing me. We had the same experience when we moved here over a year ago. Not so much, which church, but do you have a church? Everyone was very polite when I just said, yes, we have a church..End of conversation. If church is not something you attend regularly think of something to tell those who ask, just don't say something that will get you into a heated debate about it. We probably saw almost as much attention given to religion in Texas as we have here, not quite as much, but a lot. Houston might be different than the Dallas area.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:32 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,217,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Well, you said they traveled 150 miles from "out west" to Little Rock. Fort Smith is 150 miles west of Little Rock. Being that this is a thread about Fort Smith, I just assumed you were saying they were coming from here.

No, they didn't travel *from* out west, except to move here. They *are* from out west.

Hope that clarifys.

Point being, We have a plethora of restaurants within 80 miles or shorter that serve seafood. Batesville, Mt. Home, Jonesboro.............

I'm just not catching the drift of going that far for a McSeafood.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 AM

125 posts, read 213,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its moderately hilly as you are still in the foothills of the ozarks. Honestly, you could do much better than Fort Smith. Unless you have something that takes you there such as a job or family, I can hardly recommend it. Fayetteville is much nicer are more scenic.
Yeah go to fayetteville and fight traffic and the mexican mob!!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:08 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,968,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hey, a few years ago people in Las Vegas voted Olive Garden, even though Vegas has some of the best dining places in the country now. That didn't used to be the case back in the 50s to 80s, but Vegas has changed. Yet people still think Olive Garden. this would probably hold true in almost any city other than maybe San Francisco where 1/2 the population are foodies. One thing so many forget, the average American is just that "average" they eat simple foods, live a simple life and do not know the difference between Ragu and home made sause or the difference between a Gyro made with lamb and one made with something else. I know people who think a true Sub comes from Subway.. Food is 1-very subjective and 2-the majority of the population doesn't care, in fact they probably would not enjoy true quality, top of the line dining.

Nita

Nita
I will treat this as your opinion since you don't post any facts. That is fine. I can't speak factually about every city in the U.S. My opinion is that you and I have probably different opinions as to what an average american likes in the way of food. I give the average american credit from knowing the difference between a Honda Accord and a Lexus. In other words, just because they can not afford a Lexus, does not mean that the vast majority would not prefer a lexus. Taliano's in Fort Smith is a nice Italian resturaunt. I think the vast majority of people in Fort Smith probably have never even heard of it. Thus my opinion that Fort Smith is not very sophisticated.
As I said, I can't speak about every city; however, the Olive Garden in not on the top ten list for Italian resturaunts in Atlanta.
Atlanta Italian Restaurants: 10Best Restaurant Reviews

Old 08-08-2009, 09:24 PM

If church is not something you attend regularly think of something to tell those who ask, just don't say something that will get you into a heated debate about it. We probably saw almost as much attention given to religion in Texas as we have here, not quite as much, but a lot. Houston might be different than the Dallas area.

Nita[/quote]

Funny thing. I have never been asked what church do I go to or whether I attend Church since I have been in Arkansas. I am from Georgia and these questions are not out of the ordinary there, but saying I play golf on Sunday morning is acceptable for most in Georgia, and if it is not, who cares.

What I do find interesting is that no one has invited me to their church which is a common occurence in Georgia. Does not really matter to me either way. Just an observation.

I don't think we have a lot hillbillys in Fort Smith. At least by my definition, a hillbilly lives in places like Appalachia or in the mountains of North West Georgia or maybe some of the more rural places in Arkansas. I generally have no problem with hillbillys. What we seem to have more of is what I would call Rednecks.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I will treat this as your opinion since you don't post any facts. That is fine. I can't speak factually about every city in the U.S. My opinion is that you and I have probably different opinions as to what an average american likes in the way of food. I give the average american credit from knowing the difference between a Honda Accord and a Lexus. In other words, just because they can not afford a Lexus, does not mean that the vast majority would not prefer a lexus. Taliano's in Fort Smith is a nice Italian resturaunt. I think the vast majority of people in Fort Smith probably have never even heard of it. Thus my opinion that Fort Smith is not very sophisticated.
As I said, I can't speak about every city; however, the Olive Garden in not on the top ten list for Italian resturaunts in Atlanta.
Atlanta Italian Restaurants: 10Best Restaurant Reviews
I guess I can go to google maybe and bring up the readers survey fron several cities including Las Vegas if I have time. I don't think it is a matter of giving credit, it is a matter of preferance. Most people really like the simpler foods in my opinion. I am not talking about those of us who have lived in large metro areas or traveled a lot, I am talking about the vast majority of people. Why do you think the chain restaurants for instance are the ones with long lines so often? Take Olive Garden or maybe Maccaroni (spelling) Grill, they will always have a wait.

I don't think it is a matter of knowing the difference, it is a matter of what we call the average American or more than average, which is a word that means very little I prefer to think of mid America.

Nita

Old 08-09-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I guess I can go to google maybe and bring up the readers survey fron several cities including Las Vegas if I have time. I don't think it is a matter of giving credit, it is a matter of preferance. Most people really like the simpler foods in my opinion. I am not talking about those of us who have lived in large metro areas or traveled a lot, I am talking about the vast majority of people. Why do you think the chain restaurants for instance are the ones with long lines so often? Take Olive Garden or maybe Maccaroni (spelling) Grill, they will always have a wait.

I don't think it is a matter of knowing the difference, it is a matter of what we call the average American or more than average, which is a word that means very little I prefer to think of mid America.

Nita
Sorry, I just don't buy it. Most people go to chains because of predictability of the food and the price. I just don't see how it is possible that anyone could pick Olive Garden over Taliano's unless they just had not eaten at Taliano's or they could not afford it.

BTW, what is a foodie?

Old 08-09-2009, 05:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,277,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
1: They have abandoned about four areas for a new strip mall. It is called America; that is what we do. FWIW, Garrison is not only survivng, but thriving and has some great stores, restaurants, and bars there. I am doing something on Garrison at least once a week. The new and improved Neumeier's Rib Room is wonderful.

2: I don't kow where you saw that at. I find it hard to believe that anyone in Fort Smith would vote that chain as the best Italian restaurant in Fort Smith. I would probably go with Talianos.
Few people in Fort Smith go to Talianos, and other than that Olive Garden is really your only option for Italian.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:03 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,365,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Few people in Fort Smith go to Talianos, and other than that Olive Garden is really your only option for Italian.
Bravo on Rogers isn't bad. There is a new-ish one in Van Buren called Frank's that is good too.

I agree with hotair; I think people eat at the chains just because they feel they are a safer bet than some local joint.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Sorry, I just don't buy it. Most people go to chains because of predictability of the food and the price. I just don't see how it is possible that anyone could pick Olive Garden over Taliano's unless they just had not eaten at Taliano's or they could not afford it.

BTW, what is a foodie?
I think you hit it when you mentioned price as well as everything else. Again, the average person does not even try the tops line restaurants because of price as well as preferance. If you did a quick survey on which is better, Outback or Ruth Chris? Most people would say Outback because they do not frequent places that charge about $50 to $100 per person for a meal..You and I might feel differently, but I am talking about the majority of us.

As a travel agent I see this with which cruise lines are rated the best and which ones most people cruise. They do not even think "Cunard" or "Seabourne" just to mention a few, in fact they often don't think HAL or Celebrity. They think RCI, Carnaval, Princess and NCL. So when these polls are done, they are based on how many people eat at those dining places. This isn't just Ft Smith, Little Rock, Dallas, or anyplace else, it is pretty much nation wide.

I bet if you asked 1000 Americans where they would go if they could spend a week vacationing anywhere in the world, the majority would say Hawaii or the Caribbean even though I would choose someplace like Hong Kong, the Baltic Sea area or maybe Austrailia for starters, but most people do even think that way.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas