Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,949 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are connsidering a move to Paragould, AR. area for retirement and to be closer to family in Tennessee and Arkansas. We are interested in a small community that has good managed growth and very low crime with quality builders of homes at a reasonable price. Our move will take place by next March and we plan to travel to the area this Septmeber. I have been reading many comments posted about the areas around Paragould and Jonesboro regarding crime and mosquitos. I had been told that Paragould was a great town with very low crime. We found some new homes online in Paragould and Bono that fit price range. Would be interested in info on life in Paragould or Bono with plus and minus opinions. Any info would be helpful prior to our trip in areas of crime, health care, part time job market, areas that train tracks follow and yes mosquitos...is there a better area away from Jonesboro that does not have the extreme problem of mosquitos and crime that others have stated.
Thanks in advance for your help. Also can anyone comment on Craftsbury Village in Bono, AR new home subdivision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 01:23 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
The east side of Paragould isn't as good as the west side, generally speaking.
I've never known the houses there to be well built. It's one of those towns where the newer houses might actually be better than the older ones, so if you want new, then you'll be in luck. Avoid buying a house built in the 70's there, especially the ones in Center Hill. Many of them were awful.
Paragould has never been known for it's great zoning and city planning. You'll see some things out of place there. It seems to be improving in that area in recent years, though.
Very low crime? No. It's not big city bad, but for a small town, it's not too great. Quite the meth problem they have there, and the usual things that go along with that.
The areas around Paragould have plenty of mosquitos, but they spray for them in the city.
I would choose a rural area over any of the towns in the area.
Honestly, though, Jonesboro isn't that bad. If I absolutely had to live in that region again, I'd choose Jonesboro. It's an okay small town.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Thanks for your help and info we will be able to tell more once we arrive.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:50 PM

557 posts, read 1,675,668 times
Had been hearing a lot of hype about Paragould, and, although I go through Jonesboro a lot, had never taken a side trip to there. Well, this past weekend I did finally make it to Paragould and was disappointed with what I saw. There just didn't appear to be too much there. It is on relatively high ground (not necessarily hilly) but I didn't think the town was attractive. It did not make a good first impression, I think Jonesboro is a much better place, especially with the university there.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks for all your info really helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas