Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2007, 08:31 PM

27 posts, read 138,174 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move sometime in 2007 from New Mexico to Mena. We have visited several times, and like it. Does anyone have any opinions to share? good or bad---

We have 3 high school aged children-any thoughts on the high school?

thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 10:50 AM

4 posts, read 10,874 times
Wink Mena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk21 View Post
We are considering a move sometime in 2007 from New Mexico to Mena. We have visited several times, and like it. Does anyone have any opinions to share? good or bad---

We have 3 high school aged children-any thoughts on the high school?

thanks
My husband & I are also considering a move to Mena, it took us only a 4
day visit this past October to convince us to make the transition from
California to Arkansas, not to mention that close friends have also retired
to Mena. We have located a home we are quite interested in purchasing
once our home sells here in CA. Homes sell quite rapidly in Mena, most of
the ones we looked into have already sold within the last 3 mos. hopefully
the one I want will still be on the market the next 3 to 6 mos. Good luck
to you

Last edited by patsykline; 01-06-2007 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: mispelled word

Old 01-13-2007, 02:57 PM

11 posts, read 65,598 times
Mena High School has a good reputation. It's a great small town area. May not have as much night life as your children would like.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:17 AM

Has there been much growth (change) lately, or is it projected?

I'd love to know more about the high school.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:50 PM

10 posts, read 400,924 times
I live outside of Mena Arkansas. I have a post with a lot of replies on the sticky for this forum if you want more info on other locations and most of this region. ("Best place to live in Arkansas?" post)

The High School is very small, differing opinions from people about it, a lot of my close friends said they hated the school. I don't see much wrong with it, but I never attended the school so I don't know from personal experience. (the high school) The town pretty much shuts down after 9pm, so if you have high school kids or are fairly young yourself, you may find yourself lacking in things to do. It has the basic Southern small-town atmosphere. I don't see much growth, if anything the town is in a kind of decline. But that's just my opinion, I don't have any empirical evidence to prove such. I don't think it's a good place to live unless you like seclusion, or are retiring. It's hard to find jobs to support yourself unless you drive to Hot Springs, Oklahoma or Fort Smith.

Mena does however have a community college and a beauty college if either of those match any interests you may have. The community college is called Rich Mountain Community College and is easy to find on a basic website search through google or other search engines. RMCC is a very small campus and doesn't offer a whole lot of things most colleges offer, but they're still pretty good. If you have further questions PM me and I'll give you some advice.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:12 PM

Ravenasque---are you aware of the projected I-49 highway? What is the local talk about it? Will it change the area.

We are retired,so jobs aren't an issue. We have always encouraged our children to go away from a small town, get an education, and then return if they choose. shutting down at 9:00 is what we are used to currently--that's okay....we want privacy, seclution, and a friendly atmosphere.

Any opinions are welcome.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:16 PM

10 posts, read 400,924 times
Yes, there's always something being projected in Arkansas. It tends to be something far off. With the way Mena is ran, I would not doubt such projections are in the very distant future.

But on the other hand, if you like the secluded and retirement atmosphere, its quite alright. Teenagers and Young Adults will not find a lot to do here. The ones I have known tend to get in a lot of trouble due to the lack of other things to do. There's a couple problems though that you may face, I don't know if you know about them:

1. The roads are pretty bad... year round. (they tend to have huge potholes and sinkholes for awhile, esp. if you live outside of the city limits)

2. Its VERY humid here. If you haven't been here for the summer, I'd suggest strongly to visit then, because it is the worst time of the year arguably, so if you can stand the worst, you should be alright. I'd say late July or early August to experience the heat. I came from CA so I am used to the dry heat, the humidity is something that I find hard to deal with.

The other things, the ice snaps, aren't too bad, but at times you can literally be stuck at home. A lot of people around here have a generator because the power can go out at bad times.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:44 AM

thanks for the information... We come from a small town so some of the problems are familiar ( lack of activities, alcohol, etc). I think that is true of any small town, whether it be in California, Arkansas, or Maine. We have decided that we really like Mena, but are concerned about the highway and the "yuck" that comes with it---development, pollution, etc. But if it is in the FAR future maybe we shouldn't worry.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:01 AM

58 posts, read 282,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenasque View Post
Yes, there's always something being projected in Arkansas. It tends to be something far off. With the way Mena is ran, I would not doubt such projections are in the very distant future.

But on the other hand, if you like the secluded and retirement atmosphere, its quite alright. Teenagers and Young Adults will not find a lot to do here. The ones I have known tend to get in a lot of trouble due to the lack of other things to do. There's a couple problems though that you may face, I don't know if you know about them:

1. The roads are pretty bad... year round. (they tend to have huge potholes and sinkholes for awhile, esp. if you live outside of the city limits)

2. Its VERY humid here. If you haven't been here for the summer, I'd suggest strongly to visit then, because it is the worst time of the year arguably, so if you can stand the worst, you should be alright. I'd say late July or early August to experience the heat. I came from CA so I am used to the dry heat, the humidity is something that I find hard to deal with.

The other things, the ice snaps, aren't too bad, but at times you can literally be stuck at home. A lot of people around here have a generator because the power can go out at bad times.
I think she was asking about the HWY........and you wonder why people go after you.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:27 PM

27 posts, read 189,716 times
The I-49 project will bring business right along the freeway, but noise pollution is the only problem I would expect more than a few hundred feet from the freeway itself.

In general, I-49 will be good. It will bring a few more restaurants, hotels, etc. to help the local economy. It will also give you a faster way to get to Northwest Arkansas, where you'll want to spend some time shopping, enjoying the outdoors, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas