Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 04:44 PM

156 posts, read 377,417 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. We're heading to Mena next week to spend a couple of days. While there, we plan to check out some of the homes for sale in that area. Question: Is it common to find homesites available in Ouachita Nat Forest near Mena?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 07:49 AM

9 posts, read 31,940 times
Before I begin I would like to say that the region of the state around Mena is beautiful, absolutely stunning as far as scenery. [/color]Moderator cut: completely off topic

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-22-2007 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: added information

Old 09-16-2007, 12:28 PM

9 posts, read 31,940 times
Sorry to rant, when you were just asking about real estate, Moderator cut: and yet again, OTHere are a few websites I found for real estate in the Ouachita Mt. area, Moderator cut: no realtor ads, please City of Mena Arkansas Community Web Site (broken link)
Although I am unsure of the building restrictions inside the forest I am sure you can find homes in the area. While you are in Mena, you should try and visit the state park and drive the Talimena scenic drive. Talimena Scenic Drive in Oklahoma and Arkansas. Hope this helps and good luck!!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-07-2007 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: added information

Old 09-22-2007, 05:31 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi folks. We're heading to Mena next week to spend a couple of days. While there, we plan to check out some of the homes for sale in that area. Question: Is it common to find homesites available in Ouachita Nat Forest near Mena?

Thanks.

Prowler, I don't believe you will find any land for sale actually in the National Forest...they are overseen by the federal government. The only private land I am aware of is grandfathered in, and I don't know about the rule on when it passes from the current owners. A realtor would be your best source of info there. You may find land that adjoins the forest, which is just about as nice because no one can build behind you or whatever, depending on the site.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-23-2007, 06:11 PM

763 posts, read 3,835,189 times
My family is from Mena and I had so many fond memories of going there as a boy - I cannot tell you. I have grown up in Birmingham and live there now.

It's just a beautiful area and I think you'll love it.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:20 AM

156 posts, read 377,417 times
Sam & Bravo -

Thanks for your kind words. We're back from our visit to Mena. We spent a couple of days with a Realtor checking out some sites there. It is a friendly place with lots of scenery and a definite possibility for relocation.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 AM

7 posts, read 21,756 times
I'm from Mena and I love it. The only problem is there is NO economy. Growing up we joked about it being a black hole- you always get sucked back in! Before you move there, you might want to be a banker-like my family-or just have alot of money. I wouldn't rely on the job market to keep me there. It will keep you there alright- you wont have enough money to leave!
In all seriousness, I don't want to live anywhere else. I was born there, graduated high school there and just plain love it there. I have a family and there isn't a good job market so that is the only reason I don't live there. If there was just one company there that wasn't teatering on the brink of going to Mexico, I would work there.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:01 AM

297 posts, read 1,299,757 times
Default Mena....

I've been to Mena, a very pretty area. I would say if retirement is knocking at your door, then Mena would be a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas