Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 08:17 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,848,540 times

Advertisements

I'm from Wisconsin! I moved south after the horrible 2010 Winter, I believe, when we had those minus 50 windchills. I've been in the south since 2011 and it's worth the move, trust me.. except you need to be prepared to miss things that Wisconsin offers like cheese curds and Friday night fish frys... oh, and no beer on Sunday.

I've only lived in Arkansas since November of 2015, but from your list I would say that you may want to pass on Arkansas.

* approximate population of around 10,000 or less (absolutely no more than 15,000) -- Easy on this part, lots of small towns in Arkansas. Mountain Home is nice and it's in the Ozark mountains - 13k population if I remember correctly, but jobs are low paying.

* mild winters with little to no snow -- Mild Winters, but yet they're unusual. You can have snow and ice one day, and the next day it's 60 and sunny. We get snow, but do prepare for ice. Don't think you're a big shot because of the Wisconsin winters - snow may shut down schools (if they see a flake), but ice is no joke here.

* summers that aren't sweltering (low 90's are ok) -- Uhhh... yeah. Mid to upper 90s, sometimes 100+ in Summer. I'm not sure what it's like over near Fayetteville in Summer, but I'm guessing it's most likely the same.

* no SEVERE storms -- We get them every year.. Tornado sirens and all.

* LGBT friendly -- Honestly, and I hate to even say this, but LGBT in the south would be extremely difficult unless you're in a big city.

* plenty of jobs for DSP's -- Unsure. If there are jobs, they may pay less than average.

* no breed specific bans (we have a pit bull mix) -- I know a few places in Arkansas with pit bull bans, Gassville is one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 04:48 AM

723 posts, read 572,982 times
Here is a list of AR communities with breed-specific laws (as of July 2017):

https://www.dogsbite.org/legislating...s-arkansas.php

Old 12-26-2018, 05:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
I'm from Wisconsin! I moved south after the horrible 2010 Winter, I believe, when we had those minus 50 windchills. I've been in the south since 2011 and it's worth the move, trust me.. except you need to be prepared to miss things that Wisconsin offers like cheese curds and Friday night fish frys... oh, and no beer on Sunday.

I've only lived in Arkansas since November of 2015, but from your list I would say that you may want to pass on Arkansas.

* approximate population of around 10,000 or less (absolutely no more than 15,000) -- Easy on this part, lots of small towns in Arkansas. Mountain Home is nice and it's in the Ozark mountains - 13k population if I remember correctly, but jobs are low paying.

* mild winters with little to no snow -- Mild Winters, but yet they're unusual. You can have snow and ice one day, and the next day it's 60 and sunny. We get snow, but do prepare for ice. Don't think you're a big shot because of the Wisconsin winters - snow may shut down schools (if they see a flake), but ice is no joke here.

* summers that aren't sweltering (low 90's are ok) -- Uhhh... yeah. Mid to upper 90s, sometimes 100+ in Summer. I'm not sure what it's like over near Fayetteville in Summer, but I'm guessing it's most likely the same.

* no SEVERE storms -- We get them every year.. Tornado sirens and all.

* LGBT friendly -- Honestly, and I hate to even say this, but LGBT in the south would be extremely difficult unless you're in a big city.

* plenty of jobs for DSP's -- Unsure. If there are jobs, they may pay less than average.

* no breed specific bans (we have a pit bull mix) -- I know a few places in Arkansas with pit bull bans, Gassville is one of them.
don't have any idea what part of AR you live in, but some of what you say is really not accurate or at least in my opinion: Remember I am sure the op was generalizing and not expecting to find anyplace with no this or no that.

Here in NWA we rarely have tornado sirens. We have few days above 95 degrees. Yes, we will have a few but not like many places further west or further south. I could go on and on, but I do think most of your post is exception more than normal.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:03 AM

13 posts, read 11,183 times
Thank you all for your information/help!

Old 12-26-2018, 10:23 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,848,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
don't have any idea what part of AR you live in, but some of what you say is really not accurate or at least in my opinion: Remember I am sure the op was generalizing and not expecting to find anyplace with no this or no that.

Here in NWA we rarely have tornado sirens. We have few days above 95 degrees. Yes, we will have a few but not like many places further west or further south. I could go on and on, but I do think most of your post is exception more than normal.

I've lived in NCA and NEA and both places we've had tornado sirens and severe storms. I'm just going off of what I've experienced since living here.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
I've lived in NCA and NEA and both places we've had tornado sirens and severe storms. I'm just going off of what I've experienced since living here.
I understand, but just wanted to let the OP know your comments were not based on all of AR. Yes, there are areas where the likelihood of storms are much greater than other parts of the state; same with the heat and the winters.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:21 AM

423 posts, read 459,793 times
NWA area is your best bet. The only issue you’ll probably face is the heat. It’s been pretty bad these past 2 summers. This 2018 worse than 2017. It was high 90s up to 120° Almost every day from June to September this summer. Wouldn’t be uncommon to see 115° during the afternoons. But this is down in central AR, although the climate is pretty much the same. Storm season here is around March/April. NWA gets hail and occasionally tornados unless you’re in the mountains closer to Branson. But if you’ve heard of Branson...most racist city in the USA lmao

You’d probably be happier with a city in northern CA/OR/WA.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
NWA area is your best bet. The only issue you’ll probably face is the heat. It’s been pretty bad these past 2 summers. This 2018 worse than 2017. It was high 90s up to 120° Almost every day from June to September this summer. Wouldn’t be uncommon to see 115° during the afternoons. But this is down in central AR, although the climate is pretty much the same. Storm season here is around March/April. NWA gets hail and occasionally tornados unless you’re in the mountains closer to Branson. But if you’ve heard of Branson...most racist city in the USA lmao

OMG where in NWA was it anywhere near 100 degrees last summer or the summer before? Both summers have been late arriving and not at all hot. Of course there will always be a few days that are in the mid to even upper 90s but very few. All one needs to do is go back and check their A/C charges to know we haven't had a bad summer for about 4 or 5 years. Yes, the air is on from Jun to Sept, but no days as hot as what you are saying.

Your idea of cities in NO. CA, Wa and Or are great, but how many can afford to live there? I just talked to a friend of ours a few days ago: Portland rents, for one bedroom if you want something decent start at about $1600 a month.

I don't know about Branson being raciest, where, where did you get this information or what are you judging it on?

Old 12-31-2018, 06:26 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,662,085 times
Quote:

NEVER was anywhere in AR 115 or 120 degrees. And Branson the most racist city? I don't know where you live but it isn't anywhere near AR.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:52 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,310,902 times
Quote:

Those don't sound like official temps. Our yard thermometer sometimes showed variation from the official temps. Arkansas has gotten in the 110-115 degree range, but I haven't heard of those temps in years.

Branson is close to Arkansas, but not an Arkansas city. I've never heard of it referred to as racist before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas