Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2006, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 10,250 times

Advertisements

Hi all
My family n I are looking at possibly purchasing a place in Yellville, and was curious how everyone/area is up there. I was born and raised here in FL am definatley a country person hunting/fishing I loved untill becoming paralyzed in november of 02 still fish some just not as much. So a workplace is no issue for me. But I have a 7 year ol daughter so interested about schools up there too.
My wife has family that lives in the Horseshoebend area at the moment. So we have visted AR before and fell in love with it.

Any concerns/comments greatly appreciated Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2006, 07:06 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,340 times
Yellville is a nice small town. Very quiet and safe. The schools are good, and you can read stats and stuff about them here. http://yahooed.greatschools.net/scho...t=331&state=AR The town really supports their high school in sports. It is like the town's entertainment. They show up for everything

I grew up in Flippin, a few miles away. More things seem to be being built in Flippin, which is typical for Arkansas in that development follows a Wal-Mart. Yellville is a nice town though. You mentioned fishing. It is about 7 miles to the White River from there. The Buffalo River is about 12 miles or so. Bull Shoals Lake is about 17.

Something you might be aware of is Yellville is typical of smaller town in Arkansas in that it is hard sometimes for outsiders to feel accepted. I don't believe it is anything intentional by the natives, but some have felt they are never fully accepted. It is also an overwhelmingly white area. I don't know what your background is, but this is not a diverse area.

You can see the average weather here. http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave.../monthly/72687 The winters are fairly mild, but everything will shut down when it snows or during ice storms. That is kinda nice when you are a kid in school though.

You mentioned also being paralyzed. I don't know specifically if you need lots of health care, but the nearest hospital is in Mtn. Home, which is about 20 miles away. There are local doctors, but most health care is at least that far. For major medical stuff, you are looking at the two hour drive to Springfield, MO.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:37 PM

Thank you for the fast reply. My family and I are white as far back as I could find in an attempt at a family tree search so thats not an issue and are healthy other than I can't walk at the moment. I'm considered a redneck here and unfortunately lost most of my so called friends when I became paralyzed so pretty much keep to myself, but am very outgoing an friendly never have had a problem making friends but Ill be 28 in oct. so i'm figuring we are much younger than the majority of the citizens there. (The only friends I hang with now are 40+) Hopefully we'll be ok Thank you Again

Old 10-05-2006, 03:13 PM

18 posts, read 67,358 times
I agree with Marat about the healthcare situation. If you are just maintaining and not expecting to need a lot of healthcare and you like small towns quite a ways from most things you will probably like it and the cost of living is less there than other areas. If you will need regular medical treatments you might want to consider Mountain Home as we have LOTS of doctors here and the town right now is only about 11,000 people though it is growing. There is plenty of shopping for ME, but I don't need much...:-) Mtn Home is between the two lakes and only about 5 miles or so to a river if you like trout. it's just whichever you would prefer, but the people are, for the most part, nice, friendly and helpful as long as you treat them well and I am sure you would.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:18 PM

Thank ya wezey for the info

Old 10-16-2009, 01:52 AM

7 posts, read 27,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernR View Post
Hi all
My family n I are looking at possibly purchasing a place in Yellville, and was curious how everyone/area is up there. I was born and raised here in FL am definatley a country person hunting/fishing I loved untill becoming paralyzed in november of 02 still fish some just not as much. So a workplace is no issue for me. But I have a 7 year ol daughter so interested about schools up there too.
My wife has family that lives in the Horseshoebend area at the moment. So we have visted AR before and fell in love with it.

Any concerns/comments greatly appreciated Thank You

In my opinion,You are headed in the right direction.Any of the little towns around Yellville are also very hospitible. It isa small town, so if you are going there looking for times square atmosphere, you will not like it. It's COUNTRY but with the extras like stores etc.Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas