Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:19 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-n-Bit View Post
Hi RogMar!

Our land is 1 and a half miles south of the Sharp County Fairgrounds, right off Hwy 167.

Skip's out there right now getting a contractor hired to put in the culvert (across the Hwy Dept's Right-of-Way), put in a driveway (gravel included), run our water line and clear us about an acre to set up our camper, workshop and chickens.

Haven't eaten at Woodie's but will definately check it out on our next trip out there. Ya can't go wrong with "nuthin' fancy, just good food"!

I'm really looking forward to getting moved out there...we just found out that they're building a Dollar General Store across from the place that we are currently renting. We moved out here because it was rural and we love having cows as neighbors. A Dollar Store...there goes the neighborhood!!!

Dawn
Well, shucks......we're neighbors!

There's a road that goes west off of 167, right near the "Sharp County fair grounds" sign.

It called "Dry Bone Rd", and it is actually the closest was for me to get to 167. I'm pretty much about 4 or 5 miles west of you.

I don't use it for a few reasons, not the least of which is the high water bridge I've gotta cross, so if I want to go south on 167, I use Carpenter Rd. If I want to go north, I use Hwy 56.

Yep, moving in is a chore, but you've only got to do it once.

You chose a good area.

Welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 AM

92 posts, read 229,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Well, shucks......we're neighbors!

There's a road that goes west off of 167, right near the "Sharp County fair grounds" sign.

It called "Dry Bone Rd", and it is actually the closest was for me to get to 167. I'm pretty much about 4 or 5 miles west of you.

I don't use it for a few reasons, not the least of which is the high water bridge I've gotta cross, so if I want to go south on 167, I use Carpenter Rd. If I want to go north, I use Hwy 56.

Yep, moving in is a chore, but you've only got to do it once.

You chose a good area.

Welcome
Sounds like the neighborhood is picking up We're three miles south of Evening Shade off of Rt 167. We can't move there for another seven years (have to wait for retirement) but we do get out twice a year and can't wait to be there permantly!!

We have some great neighbors and friends already out there and in the past ROGMAR has had all sorts of good information and tips for us And he is so right - "a good area"!!

Old 07-30-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresusa View Post
We can't move there for another seven years (have to wait for retirement) but we do get out twice a year and can't wait to be there permantly!!

You have my sympathy.

We bought our property (~100 acres) about 15 years before I retired. Many, many trips down over those years. As it gets closer, it gets harder.

I love living out here, and it's impossible to get up in the morning, look outside, and be in a bad mood. Every year we get does with their nursing fawns in the yard, full bluebird houses, the parades during turkey mating season........

I think a lot of people would not appreciate this area at all, for the lack of commercialization, which is exactly what drew alot of us here. What more do you need than a handful of restaurants, a movie theatre, a video rental place, and....of course...a Wal Mart.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:08 AM

92 posts, read 229,869 times
We agree! The same things attracted/still attract us too! I came from a farming area before the city folks all moved out to the country and changed it. When I first went to Arkansas to visit the Ozarks about 10 years ago I knew that was the area for me!! And my late wife and current wife also fell in love with it!! We can't wait to be there (in a camper at first when we move in, while the house is being built) and watch the deer, etc when we're having our morning coffee! We have deer, turkey, fox, and even a few armidillos. Have to love it!!

We love being away from it all, having privacy to enjoy what's around us and still having friends around when we/they want some company We bought our land 3 1/2 years ago and although 10+ years seemed like a long time, the lower the countdown gets the faster it seems to go But yes would move out in a minute if we hit the lottery! Would put the house here up for sale and tell them to send the money out to Evening Shade!!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 AM

82 posts, read 223,916 times
Got home last night from a very productive trip to the property.

Decided against using a contractor to do the work since some of my family offered to help with the work for firewood. We've got the driveway cut in and about an acre cleared. We would have left more trees in the clearing but most of them were heavily damaged from the last ice storm.

We also got the water line dug and the pipes run. The family will work on leveling a few spots for us for setting up our camper, shop and shed.

I need to break down and start a blog about this. LOL

Thanks for the Welcome, RogMar! We remember the sign for Dry Bone Rd.

I used to visit the area growing up after my aunt and uncle moved to the Poughkeepsie area some 30 years ago. My aunt worked at the old Town & Country store (now Hometown Foods) in Cave City. I always looked forward to those visits because of how beautiful it was and I'm so excited that we were able to find our place.

Dawn

Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Got home last night from a very productive trip to the property.
Outstanding. Sounds like you made a lot of headway.

Didn't get attacked by the ticks & chiggers, did ya?

Old 08-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Default Chiggers & Ticks...

We both spray down with insect repellant and poor Skip continues to get "ate up" with both. I must not be sweet enough as they don't bother me much. LOL

Since we got some clearing done on the property, they don't seem as bad (even though Skip begs to differ).

And now for some pix...

1. Cave City
2. Crystal River Courts aka Crystal River Tourist Camp aka Cave City Courts (http://http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/ar/Sharp/state.html (broken link))
3+. Random pix of the property
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody know Cave City?-cave-city.jpg   Anybody know Cave City?-crystal-river-court.jpg   Anybody know Cave City?-dritohi.jpg   Anybody know Cave City?-clrg.jpg   Anybody know Cave City?-clrh2o.jpg  

Anybody know Cave City?-rock-garden.jpg  

Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
And now for some pix...
Very nice.

I was speaking with a neighbor recently who had a family member that owned the Cave Court years ago. Told me how they use to have their family reunions in the cave when they were kids. A lot of history there.

I especially like the last picture posted that you also use on your info page. That is probably 70% of my place.

It's very peaceful.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 AM

Default Last picture

It's one of my favorite pictures and I'm using it my screensaver, also. That way, if I get to missing it too bad I can make a quick visit! LOL

The Rock Garden (as we've dubbed it) is at the head of a small ravine (for lack of a better word) that runs east to west through the property. We'd like to take advantage of this natural feature (the ravine) and turn it into a small pond eventually.

We're leaving as many trees standing, as we can, but were amazed at all the damage from the last ice storm.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
a small ravine (for lack of a better word)
Uh....it's a "holler" down here.

A northen co-worker heard me use that term one time and insisted on knowing the difference between a ditch and a holler.

The best I could summarize is that you fall in a ditch, you live in a holler.

I have a large holler, rock walls, and a creek in between them. It's quite a transformation to hike down there. No wind, hardly ever a breeze, and no sound except the creek and the occasional critter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas