Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:10 AM

3 posts, read 5,149 times

Advertisements

My family and I would like to move to Arizona within the next year. What is the best city to move to? We are coming from a rural Ohio area and are looking to get away from the strict conservative mind set to an area where the people are more open minded and tolerant. We are looking for an area with good schools as I have 3 sons ages 17, 15 and 11, reasonable housing (rent around 500-800 a month) a decent job market (with this economy I'm not expecting a miracle) low crime rate and a family oriented town (not wanting to move to a retirement community or singles heaven). Any insight from those that live in Arizona is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardner24 View Post
My family and I would like to move to Arizona within the next year. What is the best city to move to? We are coming from a rural Ohio area and are looking to get away from the strict conservative mind set to an area where the people are more open minded and tolerant. We are looking for an area with good schools as I have 3 sons ages 17, 15 and 11, reasonable housing (rent around 500-800 a month) a decent job market (with this economy I'm not expecting a miracle) low crime rate and a family oriented town (not wanting to move to a retirement community or singles heaven). Any insight from those that live in Arizona is much appreciated.
Your rent budget may not buy into the best and safest of communities. I would contact a realtor to help you find something safe. The job market here is pretty sad right now and I personally would hesitate to make a move based upon political attitudes in my area. CA sounds like a good fit for you and I would suggest the Chico, Paradise/ Magalia area. You can rent little places and the town is very charming. Chico is a bit more progressive and very open minded. Our job market is in about the same shape. Good luck

Old 03-15-2010, 12:24 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,794 times
The housing you are looking for to accomodate you and three growing boys is not reasonable if you intend to live in a good area. I rent a home in NE Phoenix that has 3 bedrooms for $1100 per month. I would recommend budgeting at least $900-$1400 per month based on the area you choose. Chandler, Gilbert, Anthem are three very family-oriented cities. I can't attest to schools since I don't have kids, but the crime is relatively low. As for the suggestion above, I'm not aware of an area in Northern California that would have such cheap rent or I'd move back there. The job market is dire these days, so I'd suggest having a job lined up prior to moving.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
you can meet those criteria in Tucson. Crime's not bad there except in S. Tucson, downtown. Schools in Vail and Oro Valley usually get recommended on the Tucson Forum. It's a good sized city with a college(U of A) right in the middle of town but renting towards the edge of town and you'd avoid all the negatives of that. It's really pretty there. It's less hot than PHX and gets more rain. For rent you might have to settle for a townhouse or apt. for that price range, though if you hunt you might find a house to rent around $900.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:14 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,047 times
Why Arizona? The economy isn't good, the schools overall aren't good (not meaning there aren't any good schools in AZ), it is a conservative state, and property prices are high (which are then passed onto the renter). I'm sure you could find towns and cities here that might meet your criteria, but it seems like it would be easier to start in a different state.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:17 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,537 times
Well if you want a decent job market then avoid Arizona. Of course ohios job market sucks too, I would try Texas, its job market is terrible in this economy but better then Arizona

Arizona ranks low in education too, im not saying there isnt any good schools there, but overall it isn't to good
Minnesota ranks high in education, but that doesnt mean all the schools here are excellent, there are many poor districts here too.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:39 AM

3 posts, read 5,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Why Arizona? The economy isn't good, the schools overall aren't good (not meaning there aren't any good schools in AZ), it is a conservative state, and property prices are high (which are then passed onto the renter). I'm sure you could find towns and cities here that might meet your criteria, but it seems like it would be easier to start in a different state.

Thanks for your response. We are willing to consider other states, really looking for more sun, warmer weather and open minded people. Any suggestions as to a state to look at?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:27 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response. We are willing to consider other states, really looking for more sun, warmer weather and open minded people. Any suggestions as to a state to look at?
New Mexico has a reputation for being pretty open-minded.
With it's higher elevation, it's generally cooler than Arizona, but apparently pretty sunny.

I wouldn't give up on Arizona though. Yes the economy is bad - but then again, right now, that's the case with almost everywhere.

Ken

Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 6,797 times
I am from North Carolina and I went to Arizaona last year just to check out the area and I found that most of the area between Tucson and Pheonix was very pleasurable (the people I mean) especially were nice. I visited Casa Grande and if I were going to move there that is probably the area I would be most interested. But again if you plan to rent it is a little pricey!!! But you get what you pay for!!! Good Luck on your anticipated move!!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:54 PM

329 posts, read 1,276,035 times
Quote:
Have you actually visited Arizona? It is really important to do this before you move here. Arizona is wonderful but it is not for everyone. You should never move anywhere without visiting first but this is especially true for Arizona. I continue to be amazed at how many folks will consider moving to a state that they have not visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona