Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times

Advertisements

One of the major benefits of a Gated Community (there are two types of gated communities - one that has full time security on the gate - the other with a code to open the gate), is controlling the access to those who simply like to "drive through communities" - Gated communities DO limit / reduce the amount of traffic going through the community -

I happen to live in a community with full time security at the gate - our community owns the streets - as homeowners, we maintain the streets - not the city.

Twice a year we have community block parties - we don't have to get permission from the city - we just do it. Then, at Christmas, we have community caroling - and we control the access to the community -

Not for everyone to be sure. But personally, we love it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 07:01 AM

329 posts, read 1,276,035 times
Ok here is what gets me riled up about folks who complain about living in a gated community or a community with a strong HOA. If you choose to live in such a community why would you complain about it later? Before you make your largest and most important investment (your home) shouldn't you check out the restrictions present in the neighborhood you choose?

All such communities are required to share these restrictions with you before you close. If you know it is a HOA community and you don't check it out first you only have yourself to blame.

I have lived in both types of communities and find that neighborhoods with a strong HOA tend to maintain their value better than those without a strong HOA.

Just my two cents worth.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgirl51 View Post
Ok here is what gets me riled up about folks who complain about living in a gated community or a community with a strong HOA. If you choose to live in such a community why would you complain about it later? Before you make your largest and most important investment (your home) shouldn't you check out the restrictions present in the neighborhood you choose?

All such communities are required to share these restrictions with you before you close. If you know it is a HOA community and you don't check it out first you only have yourself to blame.

I have lived in both types of communities and find that neighborhoods with a strong HOA tend to maintain their value better than those without a strong HOA.

Just my two cents worth.
Thank you, Poolgirl . . . BEAUTIFULLY STATED!

I am always amazed when "nutcases" make a major lifetime purchase without reading the FINE PRINT and then complain!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 AM

4 posts, read 13,938 times
Start with the overall community, not the gated part. We live in Sierra Vista, AZ, which is a town of 40,000 plus, 4600 ft. elevation south of Tucson. It is a very friendly place with relatively low crime rate. If your gated community is surrounded by a high-crime city of course you have less safety. The next thing is the population of your gated community. Meet the neighbors you will be living among. Is it an active, young-minded group? Do people use the recreation centers, is there a lot going on? We have no guard on the gates but to my knowledge in 7 years we have had no break-ins or other crime here. Neighbors look out for each other. We live in Winterhaven if you want to check it out on the web.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:34 PM

125 posts, read 477,703 times
What do you think of Quailwood Community??? Anyone please chime in

Old 11-28-2007, 09:24 AM

181 posts, read 1,076,656 times
I live in a gated community. It doesn't stop anyone from getting in who wants to. Completely unnecessary except for the snob factor.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Bottom line . . . COMMON SENSE is the best form of security![/b]
Absolutely! Unfortunately, it's so out of fashion in this neck of the woods...

Old 11-28-2007, 08:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgirl51 View Post
Because if you want a new or at least new-ER house, there's no escape, unless you can afford a custom home on a large lot. It's just like anything else... The next generation will wonder what a house without HOA is. You're getting stripped of every freedom and choice, one by one.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Bummer, I couldn't have said it any better! Sometimes you make too much sense!
Sometimes I scare myself, Mike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona