Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 07:28 PM

5 posts, read 49,489 times

Advertisements

Hey people. I currently live in Bronx, NY. I was born with Asthma so I pretty much been feeling like crap all my life. I was thinking about moving in 2 years, I'm trying to figure out. Is Arizona a good place for a asthmatic? I'm asking because I was told that dry air is good for asthma. If AZ is not a good state to move for asthma, can you please tell me which state would be a good state?

Thank You

Old 03-08-2007, 07:40 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWalker177 View Post
Hey people. I currently live in Bronx, NY. I was born with Asthma so I pretty much been feeling like crap all my life. I was thinking about moving in 2 years, I'm trying to figure out. Is Arizona a good place for a asthmatic? I'm asking because I was told that dry air is good for asthma. If AZ is not a good state to move for asthma, can you please tell me which state would be a good state?

Thank You
Dry air is good (I think).
Polluted air is not.

Phoenix has some of the worst pollution in the country, especially for particulates. I believe that only Phoenix and the San Joaquin Valley are currently under threat from the EPA because of repeated violations of the Clean Air Act.

Remember, most of the West is dry, except areas right along the Pacific Coast. Northern AZ might be better, or Utah, or even Idaho.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:34 PM

416 posts, read 2,509,929 times
Default Arizona is the asthma capital of the world. Have to be honest.

Quote:

Thank You
Phoenix is the worst place in the nation to live in if you have asthma. You should probably check out places with cleaner air. I can tell you this much. Google search which states are good for asthma. Good thing you checked first because this place would make you more miserable. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:42 PM

47 posts, read 229,809 times
It funny how when people ask questions about arizona, the only answer you get is phoenix. arizona is a big state, and phoenix is the biggest city, but there are many other towns, and climates, that are very different.

my mother was dying, literally of the air in houston. she stopped breathing, respiratory arrest, and was put on a ventilator for 10 days. the doctors didn't think she would live. then when she did, they didn't think she would ever get out of a nursing home. 2 causes. smoking. and ozone levels in houston. she had respiratory arrest after 10 days straight of ozone alerts in Houston.

as soon as she was well enough, I put her in the car, and off to arizona we went. Sedona and Cottonwood area.

for 2 years now, she has had maybe one incident of a serious asthma issue. she in fact went weeks and months without so much as one puff on an inhaler. it was so extremely different, I'm not sure her old doctors would believe her if they saw her. she was using her inhalers many times a day in houston.

the air here is very clean. (northern arizona). and very dry. both great for her asthma and COPD.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:44 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaaz View Post
It funny how when people ask questions about arizona, the only answer you get is phoenix. arizona is a big state, and phoenix is the biggest city, but there are many other towns, and climates, that are very different.

my mother was dying, literally of the air in houston. she stopped breathing, respiratory arrest, and was put on a ventilator for 10 days. the doctors didn't think she would live. then when she did, they didn't think she would ever get out of a nursing home. 2 causes. smoking. and ozone levels in houston. she had respiratory arrest after 10 days straight of ozone alerts in Houston.

as soon as she was well enough, I put her in the car, and off to arizona we went. Sedona and Cottonwood area.

for 2 years now, she has had maybe one incident of a serious asthma issue. she in fact went weeks and months without so much as one puff on an inhaler. it was so extremely different, I'm not sure her old doctors would believe her if they saw her. she was using her inhalers many times a day in houston.

the air here is very clean. (northern arizona). and very dry. both great for her asthma and COPD.
Sorry....I guess I am just biased because I am in Phoenix and seems like most people move here when they move to AZ.

But I agree, Northern AZ is a completely different situation; night and day as compared to Phoenix. If you can find a job up there, it's perfect.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:59 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Dry air is good (I think).
Polluted air is not.

Phoenix has some of the worst pollution in the country, especially for particulates. I believe that only Phoenix and the San Joaquin Valley are currently under threat from the EPA because of repeated violations of the Clean Air Act.

Remember, most of the West is dry, except areas right along the Pacific Coast. Northern AZ might be better, or Utah, or even Idaho.
There are many, many cities (and rural areas too) in the country that are classified as "non-attainment areas" for PM10, the particulate problem that plagues Phoenix area and is responsible for the brown cloud. Many of them are in the dry west. Phoenix meets carbon monoxide standards and has for some time. There is a non-attainment area for ozone (8-hour) in eastern Maricopa County near Apache Junction. I am not saying the air quality is good - although most days are not over the "moderate" scale in the worst areas (south central freeway corridors) and much of the outlying suburban area is in the "good" to "moderate" zone most days - but Phx is hardly alone among US cities in having air quality issues and attracting the attention of the EPA.

Now I don't know what triggers asthma attacks but I can't believe that living in any city breathing auto exhaust, dust, rubber particles from tires, ozone, etc can be anything but harmful. So if you have asthma I would stay away from AZ big cities and look for the rural areas of AZ. But be careful. The particulate problem is caused mostly by ag operations, unpaved roads, and construction - all of which are part of growth areas, even the rural ones, in this state.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 37,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
Phoenix is the worst place in the nation to live in if you have asthma. You should probably check out places with cleaner air. I can tell you this much. Google search which states are good for asthma. Good thing you checked first because this place would make you more miserable. Good luck.
Well, I've heard that the "brown cloud" is bad for asthma, but I moved here with my family five years ago because I had two sisters with asthma, and they certainly do a lot better now!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:43 PM

455 posts, read 1,498,674 times
Default Worked for me!

I was born in the Bronx (Clason Point) and moved to Yuma with my family in 1971 when I was 13. I suffered frequent asthma attacks in NYC, that all stopped in AZ. I had an attack in Flag right after we moved here (within days) but that was from a feather pillow in a motel.

My health improved so much, I cannot express it in writing. Basicly, It was as if I didn't have asthma anymore. I went 20 years without an attack. When it finally happened again, I panicked a little, because I had 1) forgotten the symptoms and 2) forgotten how unpleasant it could be.
The attack happened at nite about 2 pm, I drove to an all nite grocery store and bought an inhaler. First time I ever used one, worked great!

Now I find that sometimes when the wind blows I will get a little wheezy, but I would have to say that I am 99.99999999% over the asthma.

Enjoy AZ!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:50 PM

47 posts, read 229,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
I was born in the Bronx (Clason Point) and moved to Yuma with my family in 1971 when I was 13. I suffered frequent asthma attacks in NYC, that all stopped in AZ. I had an attack in Flag right after we moved here (within days) but that was from a feather pillow in a motel.

My health improved so much, I cannot express it in writing. Basicly, It was as if I didn't have asthma anymore. I went 20 years without an attack. When it finally happened again, I panicked a little, because I had 1) forgotten the symptoms and 2) forgotten how unpleasant it could be.
The attack happened at nite about 2 pm, I drove to an all nite grocery store and bought an inhaler. First time I ever used one, worked great!

Now I find that sometimes when the wind blows I will get a little wheezy, but I would have to say that I am 99.99999999% over the asthma.

Enjoy AZ!
exactly what happened for my mom in Cottonwood/Sedona, after leaving humidity and smog in Houston.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:38 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,545 times
Quote:

Thank You
I used to have asthma but do not anymore. I live in Ohio but am in the Phoenix area a few weeks a year and I can tell you that my asthma was non-existent when we would travel to Phoenix. Never had a single problem and felt GREAT. Take it from someone who knows and would have trouble sometimes in Ohio, but felt great when I would travel to Phoenix. Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona