Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:00 AM

18 posts, read 65,735 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the job market in Arizona. My husband and I moved from Oklahoma to Texas but have decided that my mold allergies are too severe to stay in this region so we are looking to move to Arizona (I have no pollen allergies thank God, my hubby has never had allergies in his life). I've lived in Colorado and felt great there when I was in the military, but I don't want to deal with the cold.

My question is how easy is to find good jobs there? I work in City government in Development Services and my husband works in IT. One thing Texas does have an abdundance of, besides mold spores..lol, is a good economy and lots of good paying jobs. We don't have any children, we've sold our house back in Oklahoma so the transition would be relatively easy. We are interested in the Green Valley area any response would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,414,694 times
Smile Boy those allergies are killing you

Boy, let me tell you. I just moved from Arizona to Texas. I wish you didn't have allergies because Arizona is in no way like Texas. I would chose Texas a million times over Arizona. You are moving from a state which is thriving and has the fastest job growth in the country to a state which is having problems right now. The Phoenix area is in a recession and may be there for a while. I would rethink this move. Where are you? Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin. Maybe just moving to another one of the great Texas cities is all you need to do. What if you go to Az and the allergies act up again? Now you have allergies and you are in a place that is not even as good as where you came from.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:58 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,173,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Boy, let me tell you. I just moved from Arizona to Texas. I wish you didn't have allergies because Arizona is in no way like Texas. I would chose Texas a million times over Arizona. You are moving from a state which is thriving and has the fastest job growth in the country to a state which is having problems right now. The Phoenix area is in a recession and may be there for a while. I would rethink this move. Where are you? Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin. Maybe just moving to another one of the great Texas cities is all you need to do. What if you go to Az and the allergies act up again? Now you have allergies and you are in a place that is not even as good as where you came from.
Phoenix is in a recession? I didn't know that. I thought the whole country was.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:08 PM

551 posts, read 2,727,296 times
Have you been to visit Phoenix for a week or longer at a time? Phoenix has it's own share of allergens too -- mostly related to the extreme dryness, dust, and wind.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 AM

35 posts, read 136,078 times
I left Texas too for many reasons, mainly the humidity and allergies and...wow.

My allergies are about 100 times worse here.

But it is worth it!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:03 PM

79 posts, read 387,896 times
Well, Arizona is in a recession and the state is in a serious budget crunch. Therefore the state, many counties and many municipalities already have imposed hiring freezes. Therefore any hopes for a government job currently are very dim.

IT is a different story.

Generally, Arizona wages are pretty low compared to the rest of the nation, while cost of living is relatively high.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:37 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,782,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I lived in Austin, and while I agree that Texas was not that difficult to find employment, I had no problem finding a job here in Phoenix. My Asthma was very bad in Austin, and combined with that humidity, I just could not breath. I also lived in Colorado, and I felt the best there, but just could not find decent jobs there. And Yes its cold in Colorado, although they will deny that in Colorado. Im in sales and seem to have no problem finding jobs. Also consider the property tax in Texas is about 3.5 times as much as AZ. Texas schools are better, but maybe you don't have kids.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 12,505 times
i have a question i'm looking to move from michigan to arizona because there homes are low and they have jobs.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:29 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veejee View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the job market in Arizona. My husband and I moved from Oklahoma to Texas but have decided that my mold allergies are too severe to stay in this region so we are looking to move to Arizona . . . .We are interested in the Green Valley area any response would be greatly appreciated!
Mold allergies should be less of a problem here than in Texas, because it's so dry here.

What made you think of Green Valley (southern Arizona)? Unless something has changed, that's largely a retirement community. Job market there? Not good, I would think.

The state and most of the municipalities are in a world of hurt budget wise. (I work for the state, believe me, I know). IT work? I don't think so. The job market period is just shrinking here. I'd try to find work BEFORE you move, unless you have a really good financial cushion.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,297,163 times
It is funny how people move here because of allergies, yet I think allergies are just as bad here from all the dust and farming, etc. It isn't exactly 'mold allergies', but a different kind that is probably just as bad, but who knows, i'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't have allergies.

Anyways, the job market here sucks.. it is terrible. I have been trying to find a job at places that you would think would be easier to find work at such as fitness places, home depot, petsmart, etc... but no luck.. and this is for a PART-TIME job. It is probably even worse for a full time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona