Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantOut456 View Post
I appreciate your honesty and I'm sorry you've had such a hard time. Do you think the conditions you describe would be similar around Mesa/Gilbert?

to john 4355 ............

i personally would stay out of phoenix entirely. do NOT move to tucson under ANY circumstances. it is hell in tucson. the youngish working people i know in tucson (all natives by the way) are desperate to get out of here.

both prescott and flagstaff are wonderful, but it is impossible to support yourself there unless you bring in your own money ... are independantly wealthy or have a business that you can transfer there and immeiately make money.

arizona is a corrupt state like nevada, coupled with the mexican immigrant poulation polluting the quality of life and driving down wages. drugs and ghetto life are impossible to get away from.

to all the people who like it here, good luck withthe **** jobs and **** schools. other places have a quality of life that FAR exceed phoenix and tucson.

i reccommend family friendly communities like southern utah, denver/boulder,colorado and even california. with all california's current problems, it beats the atmosphere in arizona any day of the week.

good luck to you. i am on my way to LA for business, and probably the oregon coast to live.
AMEN! Thats what I've been telling people 4 months.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,324 times
Default re4u

Hate to "burst your bubble" but we have a lot of bubbles bursting here in Az not only in the real estate market but we have major budget woes. Government everything is in cut way back mode, don't think you'll have much success in finding a job. Workers that haven't been laid off are working four day weeks in an effort to help balance the budget. I have family members including a son in IT who have been looking for employment in anything, Petsmart, McDonalds etc only to find 100 other people applying.
As far as allergies, we have 'em just different kinds of allergens. The air quality here can get quite dusty and full of particulates so it depends on what you react to.
Sorry to be so negative, I'm a RE agent and should be painting a pretty picture for you but after living here for 21 years might have to say adios if my job hunting husband who has a degree in Software development can't find employment. If you have jobs and a good place to live I would stay put or try renting here for awhile but don't "buy till you try" at least that way you can leave.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:47 AM

If its mold you have sever alleries to, you better avoid AZ. We have a condition here called Valley Fever, caused by an airborne fungus (mold) that gets into your lungs and can cause tons of damage, like it did to me. Trust me, there's lots of garbage here too. And AZ is not necessarily the better place to improve one's health either. Just telling you........

Old 10-09-2009, 10:55 AM

I have lived in 3 other states--Indiana, Michigan, and Virginia for a year--and find them all to be superior to Arizona for many reasons. They have green grass, friendlier people, more reasonable cost of living (except northern VA near DC), four seasons, more job diversity, and way better schools. The jobs will return to the Midwest, the agricultural and industrial center of the country, while AZ doesnt produce a darn thing. No industry to speak of. The only jobs here are in low paying service industries that dont offer much of a paycheck or a future. I think you can do much better than wanting to move to AZ. Why not New Mexico? Its a great alternative. Heck, I'd even love to live in Colorado. But AZ???? Come on.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
If its mold you have sever alleries to, you better avoid AZ. We have a condition here called Valley Fever, caused by an airborne fungus (mold) that gets into your lungs and can cause tons of damage, like it did to me. Trust me, there's lots of garbage here too. And AZ is not necessarily the better place to improve one's health either. Just telling you........
Valley Fever is not "airborne mold". It lives in spores in the soil. Yes, with excavation, dust storms, etc., it can become airborne and that's how it is contracted, but that's not where it is all the time. Some people have severe cases, as you apparently unfortunately did, but most hardly know they have it. Here's some more accurate and detailed information from the CDC:

Disease Listing: Coccidioidomycosis General Information | CDC DFBMD

Last edited by observer53; 10-09-2009 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 PM

32 posts, read 104,086 times
Narco State as what most states call it. AZ is too tough to live especially now that counties and municipalities are losing people and jobs everywhere. Standard and Poor, Moody's and Fortune Magazine agreed that AZ recession will stay for 10-15 years quite the same as NV.
Likewise illegal aliens are the most to blame here and salaries and wages are way down low, poverty wages as I call it. Standard of living is high like CA. Lived here in the greater Phoenix area for 30 years and my God this present state is the worst.
Cuidad Juarez and Phoenix looks the same...crime here in AZ have doubled, home invasion is rampant and kidnapping is almosts hidden from the media. No I suggest this is not the best place to live or rear a family...

Old 12-15-2009, 09:03 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,866,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veejee View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the job market in Arizona. My husband and I moved from Oklahoma to Texas but have decided that my mold allergies are too severe to stay in this region so we are looking to move to Arizona (I have no pollen allergies thank God, my hubby has never had allergies in his life). I've lived in Colorado and felt great there when I was in the military, but I don't want to deal with the cold.

My question is how easy is to find good jobs there? I work in City government in Development Services and my husband works in IT. One thing Texas does have an abdundance of, besides mold spores..lol, is a good economy and lots of good paying jobs. We don't have any children, we've sold our house back in Oklahoma so the transition would be relatively easy. We are interested in the Green Valley area any response would be greatly appreciated!
Texas actually has jobs? I might consider staying in Texas. I have tried to find work in both Indiana and Arizona. It seems harder for me in Indiana as my background is elementary education and Indiana has had a surplus of elementary teachers long before the recession. In Indiana I can't even get a job that pays even close to what unemployment pays. In Arizona I was at least getting a few interviews for decent paying jobs. Trouble is, they had a lot of applicants. Right now, for me I am trying to go to school in a field I have a strong passion for and is in high demand in many places I am trying to get into speech language pathology. Now, I am looking for any job that will pay the bills while I am going to school. Hmmmm...maybe I will move to Texas.

Right now, the job market is rough EVERYWHERE. Areas in the U.S. that have a decent job market are becoming increasingly difficult to find. There was a Fox news report last week that talked about some job seekers are actually having to leave this country to find a job. If I weren't in school, I might be considering leaving the U.S. to find work. If you are fortunate enough to be in area where jobs are plentiful don't move unless you can find a job first.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 AM

135 posts, read 542,526 times
Did anyone even notice this thread was originated 5-26-08. It's way old and the OP has not commented since the original questions were raised.....

Yes, we all agree, the economy is bad bad in AZ and looks like it won't recover for a long time...but to dredge up an old thread???? What's next?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-16-2009 at 01:11 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 01:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
While the mold info is constant, the jobs question is ever-changing and would be better served by a new thread, if anyone is interested. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona