Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 06:24 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,743,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
One of Disney World's (Orlando) busiest times is the summer. It's not because the weather is great, it's because kids are out of school. I've been to Disney World in the summer and it is every bit as hot as Phoenix when you account for the high humidity. The park is packed in the day. They have several ways to mitigate the heat. The lines are almost all covered. There is plenty of access to cold drinks. There are plenty of air conditioned cafes and shops that line the park. Most are dressed in athletic wear so they are prepared to sweat. There are water rides where you get drenched.
I still think it's a bad idea. Orlando rarely hits 100°, while we hit 112° at least every year, humidity or no, huge difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,364,798 times
SO - on the local level this of course has been a very hot topic - and a bit more information is coming out - My belief is that this is not going to be a "traditional" theme park - at least not the initial phase. From what I have read and in communications with people "in the know" - the first phase will be what they are calling an "extreme theme park" to include things like a "GO Kart" track, a wake boarding area on a 12 acre lake, indoor waterpark, zip line and rock climbing type things.

They also plan to move people within the various attractions via "water taxis" via a canal system etc.

So it definitely appears WATER will be a feature to deal with the heat.

There are areas designated in the plan for a wildlife park (but we already know this can work here due to wildlife world etc.), and a "coaster park" but those from what I see would be future phases.

The initial phase will include some hotels and other "entertainment" as well as some kids and family attractions - no specifics on those yet.

Not that any of this information changes the OVERALL discussion here - but they may be going after some different demographic than other theme parks.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:58 PM

8,059 posts, read 12,366,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Well, I'm one that's tolerant of it and don't let the heat keep me inside so I am in it year round, but I'm on record saying I plan to return to orange county mainly due to my preference of the weather. No one would rather be outside in 110+ vs 70-80, let's get real. And no one is driving from the IE to casa grande over Anaheim or Carlsbad, etc. Not to mention there's other attractions in the areas of those theme parks in CA such as the beach, boats, entertainment industry, etc.
So in other words, Arizona should just be nothing more than a backwater where no theme parks should ever be built because coastal CA has everything going for it, right? Essentially, that's what you're saying because you're citing the difference in summer temps as a major factor. I guess you'd rather see Arizona keep losing tourist revenue to CA ... after all, what do you care anyway since you're planning on moving to CA?

Quote:
It's all silly anyway because this is all just throwing something at the wall to see what sticks. one look at the company's website and lack of track record building anything like this before shows how laughable it is to take this seriously
I tend to agree here. Waveyard, Decades, and countless other theme park proposals have been announced to the public with great enthusiasm in the past, but never came to fruition. So while I would be all in favor of a large theme park here, I'm not getting excited about this latest idea until I actually see evidence of it being constructed. I'll believe it when I see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I still think it's a bad idea. Orlando rarely hits 100°, while we hit 112° at least every year, humidity or no, huge difference
Have you even looked at the web link which the OP provided? Among other things, the plans call for an indoor recreational facility and water parks. What would 112 degrees matter if a large portion of it is indoors and water based? Still think it's a bad idea ... or are you another "we don't need nuttin' fun here" types who would be against it no matter what?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
So in other words, Arizona should just be nothing more than a backwater where no theme parks should ever be built because coastal CA has everything going for it, right? Essentially, that's what you're saying because you're citing the difference in summer temps as a major factor. I guess you'd rather see Arizona keep losing tourist revenue to CA ... after all, what do you care anyway since you're planning on moving to CA?

I tend to agree here. Waveyard, Decades, and countless other theme park proposals have been announced to the public with great enthusiasm in the past, but never came to fruition. So while I would be all in favor of a large theme park here, I'm not getting excited about this latest idea until I actually see evidence of it being constructed. I'll believe it when I see it!

Have you even looked at the web link which the OP provided? Among other things, the plans call for an indoor recreational facility and water parks. What would 112 degrees matter if a large portion of it is indoors and water based? Still think it's a bad idea ... or are you another "we don't need nuttin' fun here" types who would be against it no matter what?
If the entire park were indoors, it could work, but that would probably be prohibitively expensive, that $4 billion could become $10 billion plus to do it, plus the electric bills to air condition it 9 months of the year

Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 AM

8,081 posts, read 7,018,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
If the entire park were indoors, it could work, but that would probably be prohibitively expensive, that $4 billion could become $10 billion plus to do it, plus the electric bills to air condition it 9 months of the year
Such negativity.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Such negativity.
I'm just being honest. I would never attend it from June to September if it were outdoors, and I'm sure I'm not alone. And I can "take" the heat. Imagine someone who boils at 80°

Old 02-27-2017, 11:41 AM

483 posts, read 670,267 times
I imagine they could "scale back" the hours in summer. Maybe have "Summer Nights" after 6:00.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:16 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,330,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Those are your words not mine. AZ has other things going for itself that Southern California does not, such as Spring Training, a better PGA tournament, Auto Shows, better golf courses. Like it or not I believe this market is already being served by the So Cal theme parks, afterall it's just a 5 hour drive or 55 minute flight.

Summer is when a majority of families go on vacation and blow lots of money, we can't get by depending on Spring Break or the couple weeks off in the winter when most people are celebrating holidays with their families. It takes 15-20 minutes to get a sunburn here in the Summer, people will choose the better alternatives.

I would be part of their "target audience". We have kids, high disposable income and live in Chandler which is the closest valley suburb to CG. There's no way they would get me to leave 115 degree Chandler for 118 degree casa grande for a vacation or even a day trip. Now if I won't do it, what makes you think people would travel 2 hours or more for that experience? Sounds like hell to me. Now it sounds like the Disneyland comparisons were far overblown and what is really planned is a go kart track. That makes more sense, but it's amazing how fast they changed their tune. A 4 billion dollar theme park just isn't happening IMO.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:32 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,364,798 times
Quote:
Now it sounds like the Disneyland comparisons were far overblown and what is really planned is a go kart track. That makes more sense, but it's amazing how fast they changed their tune. A 4 billion dollar theme park just isn't happening IMO.

So - amazing how you go from the inaccurate "Disney" comparisons to "just a GO Kart track". C'mon - they are planing MUCH more than that! If you are going to make an argument - at least be realistic.

The "extreme" park will have a zip line, a wake board feature on a 12 acre lake, rock climbing (and I am assuming more than a single wall that you can do anywhere), and much more including kids and family rides and an indoor waterpark. And this is just PHASE 1.

Have you even bothered to read the link I provided? Future phases will include a wildlife park and a more traditional theme park - all along will be a growing shopping and hotel complex etc. with various attractions attached to those features.

So even the first phase is more than just a "go kart" track. Kids and teens LOVE this new age of extreme sports.

Now, the comparison to Disney that the developers make (again verbatim in the link I supplied!) is that this project is a "destination resort" best COMPARED to DisneyWorld - and that CG is better positioned than Orlando was - with better transportation in place than Orlando had, and with current technology they can progress faster than Disney. THEY never said it was "Disney like" - the media used that term.

This is planned to be similar to that project in that in addition to the parks and attractions - a significant residential and commercial project is also planned in the same "architectural theme" as the park areas.

SO - does any of this change whether it will happen, or people will go? No. But please don't spread inaccurate information just to bolster your position.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:43 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,330,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
So - amazing how you go from the inaccurate "Disney" comparisons to "just a GO Kart track". C'mon - they are planing MUCH more than that! If you are going to make an argument - at least be realistic.

The "extreme" park will have a zip line, a wake board feature on a 12 acre lake, rock climbing (and I am assuming more than a single wall that you can do anywhere), and much more including kids and family rides and an indoor waterpark. And this is just PHASE 1.

Have you even bothered to read the link I provided? Future phases will include a wildlife park and a more traditional theme park - all along will be a growing shopping and hotel complex etc. with various attractions attached to those features.

So even the first phase is more than just a "go kart" track. Kids and teens LOVE this new age of extreme sports.

Now, the comparison to Disney that the developers make (again verbatim in the link I supplied!) is that this project is a "destination resort" best COMPARED to DisneyWorld - and that CG is better positioned than Orlando was - with better transportation in place than Orlando had, and with current technology they can progress faster than Disney. THEY never said it was "Disney like" - the media used that term.

This is planned to be similar to that project in that in addition to the parks and attractions - a significant residential and commercial project is also planned in the same "architectural theme" as the park areas.

SO - does any of this change whether it will happen, or people will go? No. But please don't spread inaccurate information just to bolster your position.
I think you just might be a little overly optimistic/biased because it's Casa Grande. If this plan was in Tonopah, would you have the same view and optimism about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona